Mac OS X Partitioning Utility

Scot

I'm looking for the PartitionMagic for Mac HFS+ disks. The one that I've located that sounds the best is iPartition. Can anyone give me a recommendation that iPartition or a competitor is a good tool for dynamic repartitioning? Thanks!Also, I'm using VersionTracker.com. Is there a better site for Mac software?-- Scot

If you are just looking for a utility that will re-partition the hard drive, Disk Utility comes with every Mac and will do it but it is destructive so you will have to reinstall OS X afterwards. If you have an Intel Mac, you can use Boot Camp and it will repartition non-destructively I have heard. Boot Camp is a free download from Apple as well. I only have an G-5 iMac so I haven't used it. I have found VersionTacker and Tucows to be both pretty good sites for Mac software.

• 4 months later...

I meant to reply to this much earlier. I was looking for "the PartitionMagic" of disk-partitioning utiliies, which Disk Utility very definitely is not. As you noted, it's not non-destructive. PartitionMagic can dynamically split an existing volume, create a new partition, and format it, all while preserving the data on the original volume. It can also do the opposite, that is, merge two pre-existing volumes into one while preserving the data integrity. This dynamic, non-destructive functionality is what I was looking for on the Mac.I have found two well thought of products that do this for the Mac (there are others too). Both products have serious detractors out there on the Internet, so there isn't general agreement about their quality. (But the same is true in the Windows world, where many people have had trouble with PartitionMagic.) I went with Coriolis Systems' $45 iPartition, which has worked very well for me. I also found Coriolis's email-based tech support to be excellent.The other program I haven't tested (because they want $100 for it) is Prosoft Drive Genius. I hope one day to try it.-- Scot