2003 domain & 2012 domain in same subnet?

2012 2003 server exchange 2013

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   telecomguy9

telecomguy9

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

Hi all.  I have a friend who has an old SBS 2003 server that runs Exchange 2003.  He's looking at replacing that system with a new server running Server 2012 Standard and Exchange 2013.  I know there's no migration path from 2003 to 2013, but what I'm wondering is if there'd be an issue having Exchange 2013 up and running and functional in the current environment with SBS 2003?

His domain is also a .local internally and because of the issue beginning in 2015 with SSL certs and internal domain names I'm going to use this new server as an opportunity to completely replace his existing internal domain, Active Directory, etc.  So adding this new 2012 server to the existing domain, making it a DC w/DNS, etc. to more easily migrate over to using the new server isn't an option.

Knowing all of this I'm wondering something.  What would be the implications if I connected the new server to network, gave it a static IP, created a new domain in the same IP subnet as the existing domain, installed Exchange 2013, etc.?  I believe I should do this on a separate subnet but am just wondering if it would really cause any issues?  All the PC's are members of domain.local and I'd be creating domain.com.

What do you all think?  What issues do you see that would/could occur in this scenario?

#2 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

active directory & domain controller
gasp.
http://technet.micro...y/cc731728.aspx - you must run adprep before you add the server 2012 as a domain controller (dc). would i do that? probably just for a couple days , then i'd add a 2nd server 2012 dc.
hope your friend has experience with windows 8 if he has never used server 2012. it will blow his mind if not.

exchange server
good luck with that.
he will have to use a power shell script on his sbs 2003 to poop out .pst files - one for each user that has an account on that server.
from there, once he has the 2013 (didn't know that was out?) exchange server up, he'll have to run another script, 1 at a time, to import those .pst files.

here's what i used to get the pst files in:

new-mailboximportrequest -mailbox "some  username" -filepath "\\ssh-ex01\k$\some_username.pst" -conflictresolution keeplatestitem -baditemlimit 100000 -acceptlargedataloss

hope he's had a class in exchange 2010 or 2013, it is radically different from 2007 and especially different from 2003, and it =will not= work out of the box.

different domain
holy cow.
why o why do you need a different domain?
yes, you can put different domains on the same network, but you should have a really good reason to do so, like, the members of that domain do work that the other users should not see.
yes! you must give a dc a static ip address. dcpromo will not let you create a new dc without one. why? it is also (probably) going to be a dns server.
if you have never set up a domain, don't go creating a new one without competent advice.
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

thanks, lilbambi for liking my notes :)

here's my advice on adding a server 2008 r2  dc to a server 2003 domain
http://forums.scotsn...l=+2003 +domain
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

I remember reading them! Very helpful Temmu.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#5 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

wonder what happened to the original poster, telecomguy9?
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,754 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostTemmu, on 26 August 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

wonder what happened to the original poster, telecomguy9?

He went to work for a cable company and became cableguy9. ;)
Posted Image

Posted Image Support Slackware: https://paypal.me/volkerdi

#7 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

seriously.
i mean, he posted this really long set of questions... and someone provided and in-depth answer... sigh.
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,754 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:10 PM

Oh, wow! I apologize to telecomguy9 and you Temmu. I didn't realize this was a current thread. I thought it was just an old thread you were reviving as you sometimes have been known to do.

So... nevermind. :(
Posted Image

Posted Image Support Slackware: https://paypal.me/volkerdi

#9 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:53 PM

View PostTemmu, on 25 August 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

thanks, lilbambi for liking my notes :)

here's my advice on adding a server 2008 r2  dc to a server 2003 domain
http://forums.scotsn...l=+2003 +domain
How about getting NT and 2008r2 to co-exist and trust each other?
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#10 OFFLINE   telecomguy9

telecomguy9

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

Hi all.  I'm still here.  Sorry for the delayed response.  I appreciate the thoughts, ideas, and knowledge you've shared.

We're sticking with just creating a new 2012 AD domain running side by side, but not interacting with, the existing 2003 SBS domain.  He only has 10 users and 10 mailboxes so it's not a huge over haul by any means.  I don't see the need to migrate to 2008 R2 and Exchange 2010 in order to move to 2012 and Exchange 2013.  That's just too much work for such a tiny network setup.

#11 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

ah, yes, given the size, i'd consider doing that too - it will be a very clean setup, and the time it takes to create 10 user accounts will be minimal
just make sure when you run dcpromo on the new server that you "create a new forest" not join an existing one or join an existing domain.
obviously, the pcs will have to be dropped out of the old domain and joined to the new - add the pc name under active directory users and computers before you drop/add the pc - it goes quicker.

if there are any "exchange not working" questions, i'll try to help.
you'll still have to export, then import the .pst files for each email account

the ntfs and share security will have to be reset on whatever server the shared files reside as all users from the old domain will no longer exist after it is brought offline -
and as the file sharing server cannot be a member of both domains
(transitive and intransitive trusts between the 2 domains can be created, but that is silly for an org with only 10 users. just turn off the old domain controller asap.)

it will be an interesting few days for your friend's users!
best wishes!
let me know how it goes!

Edited by Temmu, 27 August 2013 - 10:28 AM.

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

crp - nt 4 and and active directory domain

this ms kb article steps you through setting up the nt 4 server to communicate successfully with, for example, a 2008 r2 server-based domain.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889030

let me know - but it looks like what you need!

ps

this ms article shows upgrading to 2003 (there is no upgrade path after 2003) http://technet.micro...6(v=ws.10).aspx

Edited by Temmu, 27 August 2013 - 10:43 AM.

Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   telecomguy9

telecomguy9

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

Thanks Temmu. We're planning on exporting the contents of all mailboxes, individually, to PST files from each user's Outlook client itself.  I know it'll take longer than using exmerge, perhaps, but it should be cleaner from what I've heard.

Regarding unjoining the PC's from the SBS domain and joining them to the new domain, thanks for the idea about adding the PC's to AD beforehand.  Also, regarding the fact that doing this will create new accounts on the PC's and their data and other such things local to the PC will be in their old user account folders, I was thinking of using something like this - http://iwrconsultancy.co.uk/reprofiler - to help out with that.

You're correct, it's gonna be an interesting few days for sure!

#14 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

nice find, telecomguy9 - the piece about logging on as local admin ~after~ restarting the pc is important, as the previously-logged-on user's ntuserdat.pol file might still be locked, or so could some of their files that may not have been released at log-off --- restarting ensures all file handles are dropped!
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2012, 2003, server, exchange, 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users