89 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Arena2045

Arena2045

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:26 AM

Ok... some facts... Tiger is going to be announced, but will more than likely NOT be released this year, prob Summer 05 or Holiday 05.  Apple announced that they are not going to be doing the a major OS update every year like the last 3 OS X updates.If you don't wait, Apple usually is generous to recent new purchases, and would allow you to get an upgrade of what ever app (if it comes included with your system) at a small price: $10 for shipping or something... I doubt that there will be any iBook announcements since it was just recently that the iBooks were updated to G4.Just an FYI: You get iLife with every NEW mac.USE Carbon Copy Cloner!!! It's the best, and is donationware.  I'm modifying my Fav List to clarify what i mean by clone for Intego's Personal Backup (that is more of a clone folder option). Carbon Copy Cloner clones your HD. I've used it since I got my Mac... I have a fresh system clone, fresh 10.3, fresh 10.3.3, fresh 10.3.4 and two that are clones with all of my data.If you use CCC you can mount the clones as virtual drives and even get data out of it if you only want a specific item out.  If you had gotten a larger iPod, you could even clone your HD to your iPod and boot OS X off your iPod (which I do from time to time)Im sure you will adjust to 1024x768... the OS has a lot of features so that you can maximize your screen real-estate...

#27 OFFLINE   LLfan

LLfan

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:35 AM

What a rip...my educational lic. will allow me a lillte over $100 of savings.  :hmm: • 512MB DDR266 (256MB built-in & 256MB SO-DIMM)• 60GB Ultra ATA drive• Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)• AirPort Extreme Card• Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English• 14.1-inch TFT XGA display• 1.2GHz PowerPC G4• ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memorySubtotal $1,489.00Thanks for the clarification...I will probably just buy it along with a good beginners book, make a copy of the drive, and screw it up to my hearts delight.  :lol:

#28 OFFLINE   Arena2045

Arena2045

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 03:27 AM

Ouch... that sucks... You see more of a discount if you customize items a little more. the 14" 1.2GHz iBook is mainly maxed out to begin with, the only real hardware upgrades for THAT built-to-order system is memory and the choice of a superdrive.But:It's sort of an undocumented feature... but if you order your system as an educational user... when you call support it asks blah blah blah, was this an edu purchase, if so press what ever... wait time is very minimal: if you know what I mean ;)This is what I'm looking at if I get a position at a local high school, in their IT department (I'll be in charge of their website and I would prefer to work on a Mac):EDU price: • 768MB DDR266 SDRAM (256MB built-in & 512MB SO-DIMM)• 60GB Ultra ATA drive• Combo drive (DVD/CD-R)• AirPort Extreme Card• Bluetooth Module• Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English• APP for iBook - Enrollment Kit• 12-inch TFT XGA display • 1GHz PowerPC G4 • ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memorySubtotal $1,563.00NON EDU: • 768MB DDR266 SDRAM (256MB built-in & 512MB SO-DIMM)• 60GB Ultra ATA drive• Combo drive (DVD/CD-R)• AirPort Extreme Card• Bluetooth Module• Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English• APP for iBook - Enrollment Kit• 12-inch TFT XGA display • 1GHz PowerPC G4 • ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memorySubtotal $1,772.00Difference of only $209. :-(But with the $209 that I'm saving, I could get something else... Look at the positives...I wouldn't forget to get the Apple Care Warranty, unless you are really brave and want to risk your investment.

#29 OFFLINE   LLfan

LLfan

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 08:42 PM

Does Apple have a charge-by-ticket system like Microsoft?  I don't forsee me needing to call apple continuously but maybe once in a blue moon.  I think that would be a better deal then paying $250 for something I might never use don't you think?

#30 OFFLINE   Arena2045

Arena2045

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:43 PM

Apple Care is not only phone support it is HARD WARE support also... If you are getting a laptop, I would defiantly get it so you have that extended warranty to cover any problems covered by the Apple Care program.

APP for iBook - Enrollment KitGet peace of mind from AppleThe AppleCare Protection Plan extends the complimentary coverage on your Mac to three years of world-class support. The plan includes expert telephone assistance, onsite repairs for desktop computers,* global repair coverage for portable computers, web-based resources, and TechTool Deluxe from Micromat—all for one economical price.Three years of securityEvery Mac comes with 90 days of telephone support and one year of service coverage at an Apple-authorized repair center. By purchasing the AppleCare Protection Plan with your Mac, you can extend your coverage to three years.Comprehensive coverageThe AppleCare Protection Plan covers your Mac, as well as an AirPort Card, an AirPort Base Station, and Apple RAM purchased for your Mac. Power Mac and PowerBook customers can also enroll one Apple display for coverage, provided the Mac and display are purchased together.One number to call for helpBecause Apple creates the computer, the operating system, and many built-in applications, the Mac is a truly integrated system—with vastly superior support. Just one phone call can help resolve most issues with your Mac. The AppleCare Protection Plan provides support for Apple hardware, the Mac OS, and Apple applications, including iCal, iDVD, iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes, AppleWorks, and QuickTime.Convenient repair optionsThe AppleCare Protection Plan includes up to three years of onsite service for desktop computers.* The plan also provides global repair coverage for portable computers, which can be very important if you travel abroad. Apple-certified technicians perform repairs using genuine Apple parts.Investment protectionPurchase the AppleCare Protection Plan along with your new Mac to take maximum advantage of the coverage the plan provides. No other service and support program can provide peace of mind for such a small investment.Fact SheetTerms and ConditionsThis plan is not available for Florida consumers or where prohibited by law.* Onsite service is not available in all locations.
But to answer your question... I am not sure about pay per ticket support.

#31 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:02 AM

The Apple Care Protection Plan will run you $250 :rolleyes:

#32 OFFLINE   Arena2045

Arena2045

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:37 AM

Well... I look at it this way.  You get longer support, and it covers the hardware within the terms... and it extends it up to 3 years.  If something dies after the intro hardware support you are out of luck and may be paying more than $250...Case in point:  I have an old DELL laptop.  I got the extended warranty and never used it, until 2 years into it my HD died, they replaced it, my screen cracked, they replaced it because it was in the plan I had, one of the batteries wouldn't hold a charge they replaced it... If I didn't have that extended warranty I would have had to pay for all of that.But it's your choice.

#33 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:43 AM

Case in point: I have an old Dell laptop. I got the extended warranty and never used it, until 2 years into it my HD died, they replaced it, my screen cracked, they replaced it because it was in the plan I had, one of the batteries wouldn't hold a charge they replaced it... If I didn't have that extended warranty I would have had to pay for all of that.
Definately got your money's worth there.

#34 OFFLINE   LLfan

LLfan

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 12:12 AM

I'm still hesitant.  And all of thse things happening to you doesn't go to reinforce the idea of superior quality.If I invest 3 grand in a g5 I'll do it, but for a 1400 laptop...I think I'll take my chances with a 1 year warranty.  Still debating on waiting, but think I'll probably go ahead with the purchase this week.Mike

#35 OFFLINE   Arena2045

Arena2045

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 12:43 AM

I just want to CLARIFY that what I said was about a DELL laptop, NOT an iBook.I was just giving an example where such an extended warranty came in handy; especially since it's a laptop, and takes a bit more of a beating than a tower sitting on your desk.

#36 OFFLINE   BrianT1701

BrianT1701

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 01:41 AM

Yes....I will just chime in and say that I would get the extended plan on a laptop....only because if something did go wrong...fixing it yourself is far more difficult to do then on a desktop pc.But...an idea of apple quality can be shown here....one of my Apple's when I got it was covered in dust and pine needles from a pine tree...these things were inside the mobo and everything....but the quality of the apple shown through when she still fired up with no problems.So...chances are nothing would happen with the iBook ...but I am not risk taker..and I would get the extended service.  But, that's me.  B)

#37 OFFLINE   LLfan

LLfan

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:13 AM

Thanks for the clarification Arena...I've heard nothing but positive things about apple hardware and to see your post I got a little wigged out. =)How can I tell what processor a particular ppc is using.  I went to Apple<About this computer and saw info on the ram (1 gig) but nothing to do with cpu.  It's running OS 9.2.

#38 OFFLINE   LLfan

LLfan

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:39 AM

What about this: iBook 900MHz/256MB/40GB/Combo/E/56K/14"TFT - Refurbished  $849.

#39 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:54 AM

I wouldn't recommend buying a used iBook. I don't recommend getting a used computer in general, but the iBook even more so because not so long ago, the iBooks had serious problems.... i think the the logic board or something like that. However, i believe the new iBooks have fixed this problem.

#40 OFFLINE   Arena2045

Arena2045

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:05 AM

I wouldn't suggest getting any computer that just has OS 9.x... You want it to come with OS X, having OS 9 also is just an added bonus.  You want OS X.I would agree about buying a used iBook.  The logic board problems have been resolved, but Apple was working with customers with getting them replaced...If you want to see what kind of processor it has look for the processor name: G3, G4, G5.The last Mac to have G3's were iBooks... so that used iBook might very well be a G3, because the new iBooks that feature G4's are not that old.G4 is standard across the line of Macs except for the PowerMac Towers which are now G5.  I would not expect to see a G5 Powerbook for some time.  But who knows they might announce it this summer at the WWDC.

#41 OFFLINE   Arena2045

Arena2045

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:12 AM

Oh... I re-read your post.  Let me make sure I give you the right directions...When under OS X, and you go to the Apple > About this Mac, it tells you the Processor and Memory. For more detailed system specs click the more info button.When under OS 9, look for the "Apple System Profiler" under the Apple menu or it's submenus... It will give you detail specs about the system.

#42 OFFLINE   LLfan

LLfan

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 12:29 PM

OK a few things...The iBook I was looking at was under the special deals section at apple.com, but if they do have known issues with older iBooks I will stick with the newer one.In no way will I run OS9.x -- it's ugly and slow IMO.  I was just siting at a friends house who has a G4 ppc that he spent a fortune on including the 24" widescreen LCD.  I was curious to see if he was running dual processors...and it seems he does.Mike  :D

#43 OFFLINE   LLfan

LLfan

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 12:45 PM

Alright, one of the reasons I really like the idea of a laptop is I will be traveling between 2 homes during the week.  One I have a cable connection on, the other DSL.  The iBook I am getting:

• 512MB DDR266 (256MB built-in & 256MB SO-DIMM)• 60GB Ultra ATA drive• Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)• AirPort Extreme Card• Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English• 14.1-inch TFT XGA display• 1.2GHz PowerPC G4• ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memory
has an Airport Extreme card.  I imagine I can just configure the iBook to use the cable connection easily..but will I have to purchase an Airport base station  for the dsl home?Oh, and can I use nearly any usb keyboard with this thing--$44 for a keyboard is insane!

#44 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:41 PM

has an Airport Extreme card. I imagine I can just configure the iBook to use the cable connection easily..but will I have to purchase an Airport base station for the dsl home?
You do not need an Airport base station. The iBook will connect to any b or b wireless router, so you don't need to buy a special one from apple. As for wired, it will also connect to any network just like a pc would.

Oh, and can I use nearly any usb keyboard with this thing--$44 for a keyboard is insane!
I'm almost positive you can, though i'm not sure....Arena?

#45 OFFLINE   Arena2045

Arena2045

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:07 PM

Just to correct a typo in Sonic's post... An AirPort Extreme card can connect to any WIFI B or G wireless network.As for keyboards and mice... you should not have a problem connecting any USB keyboard and or mouse to it.  Keyboards that have special buttons above the keys may not work if there is not OS X driver for them.  But I know Logitech and Microsoft keyboards and mice work out of the box.  I have the wireless Logitech Desktop Duo and it works without drivers, but to customize all the buttons and the extra buttons on the mouse I needed to install the software.You do not need drivers for a multi-button mouse.  OS X is set up such that it will understand a right click, as well as a scroll wheel for up and down.

#46 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:12 PM

Just to correct a typo in Sonic's post... An AirPort Extreme card can connect to any WIFI B or G wireless network.
Oops, thanks ;) Fixed it... hopefully that makes more sence  B)

#47 OFFLINE   LLfan

LLfan

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:48 PM

Thanks all!  However, I do not have a wireless network setup nor do I want to right now.  So my question still remains, can I have my pc configured to run the cable and SBC or will I have to setup a wireless router for the SBC DSL?

#48 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:54 PM

I'm very confused.SBC? what's that? ;) Are you talking about using your current pc as a router? If you don't want a wireless connection, than you don't need a wireless router. But, if you want to share you internet service to both your iBook and your PC, you need a *wired* router. And if you're buying a regular wired router, you may want to spend the extra 50 or so and get a wireless one. Why don't you want a wireless connection?I think maybe the best idea would be to get a wireless router with a wired router built in. That way, you can have your desktop connected via a wire and roam the house the your iBook at the same time

#49 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:56 PM

Something like this (combo wired and wireless) will run your around $90, and a plain wired one runs about $50.

#50 OFFLINE   LLfan

LLfan

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:58 PM

SBC is the provider of the DSL.I'm not worried about the setup of the hardware (I know all about routers) I'm worried whether or not the software will need to be loaded on the iBook or if it will just recognize the connection once connected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users