Undoing the damage wrought by Microsoft's Outlook update

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Undoing the damage wrought by Microsoft's Outlook update - Macworld

Reader Charles Dane has entered a hellish loop of Microsoft’s design. He writes:

I installed the latest Office 2011 update and now I can’t open Outlook. When I try I’m told that I must update my Office database. I do that and some tool appears that updates my identity. When it completes I’m then told that there’s a problem with the Office database and I have to rebuild it. Okay, so I do that and then I’m told that my identity is older than the version of Outlook that I’m now using. The solution is to launch Outlook to rebuild the identity, but when i do that, the loop starts over. Help!!

I wish you were the only affected party, but I’m afraid you’re not alone. I encountered the same problem as I’m sure many others did (particularly given that Microsoft issued a support document the same day the latest upgrade shipped that explains the way out). This is a document you should read as it outlines every inconvenient step you must take to make Outlook usable again. For those non-Outlook-using readers following along who take some pleasure in the discomfort of others, here’s the gist.

More in the article.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, this is only a Microsoft Office Outlook problem on the Mac.

But Microsoft is the one that did the coding for the Mac as well as for Windows. Apparently they screwed up somehow on the latest Mac version.

I remember a problem with upgrades previously with Microsoft Office. A client had Leopard (10.5) and did the upgrade to Snow Leopard (10.6) - not a fresh install - and Microsoft Office wouldn't install it's updates at all. After I uninstalled Microsoft Office, then reinstalled it on Snow Leopard, it worked fine and got it's updates.

So you may be right about an API change of some kind, but if Microsoft is going to code for Apple, they should do it properly, IMHO.

Guest LilBambi

Microsoft yanks Office for Mac 2011 upgrade - Computerworld

Halts auto delivery until it figures out why SP2 corrupts Outlook's identity database

Microsoft last Friday pulled an Office for Mac 2011 major update from its upgrade servers, acknowledging bugs that have corrupted the Outlook database on some machines.

Office for Mac 2011 Service Pack 2 (SP2) was released April 12. That same day, users who had upgraded began reporting problems on Microsoft's support site, saying that they were unable to run Outlook, the suite's email client.