Debian Buster

raymac46

It looks like Debian Buster will be released July 9. I decided to get a couple of weeks with the RC before the final comes out.

I was able to upgrade my Thinkpad install by editing my sources.list to Buster from Stretch. Then I did an apt update, apt upgrade and apt dist-upgrade.

It looks like everything went OK and I am posting from it now on the Thinkpad.

• Like 3

I've got two Buster installations, one since late April and one done in early June. Things have been fine here. I've never updated a Debian system to the next version -- I always do a fresh install. I do have one more Stretch installation still, but I'll probably wait until the official Buster release to do anything with that one. Maybe I'll try an in-place upgrade with that one, I don't know. I really do enjoy starting over with a netinstall.

Hedon James

It looks like Debian Buster will be released July 9. I decided to get a couple of weeks with the RC before the final comes out.

I was able to upgrade my Thinkpad install by editing my sources.list to Buster from Stretch. Then I did an apt update, apt upgrade and apt dist-upgrade.

It looks like everything went OK and I am posting from it now on the Thinkpad.

Is it really that simple? Just completely update/upgrade your existing system; edit the sources to the next release; and dist-upgrade the entire system? This almost qualifies as a rolling release in my book!

How many times have you done this in the past? I've always seen suggestions to re-install from scratch for a clean start, but I've heard from others that they've continuously updated/upgraded their Debian for years without reinstallation. I recently read where a fella claimed he has updated/upgraded his initial Debian installation for over 10+ years now with no issues. is he exaggerating much, or just lucky as can be? just curious...

I upgraded from Jessie to Stretch, and now from Stretch to Buster without incident. It works Ok if you upgrade only one release level.

• Like 1