#1 OFFLINE   DarkSerge

DarkSerge

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:25 AM

Greetings!

I just got myself a USB adapter for SATA/IDE internal drives. I have a few old drives laying around and now I can hook them up and see if they're any good.

Any good generic hard drive diagnostic tools anybody would recommend to check out these drives to make sure they're working properly? They all work well enough I can read them with the adapter but I want to scan and test them to see what condition they are in or if there are any issues. They've been in storage for a while.
~DarkSerge

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,497 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:27 AM

If on Linux, install smartmontools and run this (replace sda with drive letter):
sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | less

Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,497 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:31 AM

Gsmartcontrol is a graphical tool to do the same.

Here are some Window's alternatives to scan drives for bad sectors: https://www.howtogee...drive-is-dying/
Posted ImagePosted Image

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#4 OFFLINE   DarkSerge

DarkSerge

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:17 PM

I'm on Windows 10.

Sorry, forgot to mention that.
~DarkSerge

#5 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:17 PM

View PostDarkSerge, on 10 May 2019 - 08:25 AM, said:

Greetings!

I just got myself a USB adapter for SATA/IDE internal drives. I have a few old drives laying around and now I can hook them up and see if they're any good.

Any good generic hard drive diagnostic tools anybody would recommend to check out these drives to make sure they're working properly? They all work well enough I can read them with the adapter but I want to scan and test them to see what condition they are in or if there are any issues. They've been in storage for a while.

https://www.seagate....loads/seatools/

Most manufacturers have special tools to check the state of their drives. Like the Sea Tools for Seagate drives.  :breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,497 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:53 PM

View PostDarkSerge, on 10 May 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

I'm on Windows 10.

Sorry, forgot to mention that.

In that case,
Start>Run>cmd <enter>
wmic <enter>
diskdrive get status <enter>
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 OFFLINE   DarkSerge

DarkSerge

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:54 PM

I have a Seagate, 2 Maxtors, a Hitachi, and one more I'm not sure of since it's in use but might remove it soonish.

So something that's decently universal would be best since I have different brands and makes.
~DarkSerge

#8 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:33 AM

https://www.lifewire...rograms-2626183
SeaTools looks like the way to go. I use Speccy fot a quick look at all hardware including drives.

Edited by raymac46, 11 May 2019 - 08:34 AM.

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,497 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:37 AM

Well as I mentioned on post #6, there is a way to use a built in windows tool called wmic to do this.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 OFFLINE   DarkSerge

DarkSerge

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:37 AM

I downloaded SeaTools. I believe I used it before I put an SSD in my current system.

I will check out WMIC also. I haven't heard about it until I posted this so I'll give it a look as well.

Thank you for your input everyone.
~DarkSerge

#11 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,497 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:51 AM

View PostDarkSerge, on 12 May 2019 - 08:37 AM, said:

I downloaded SeaTools. I believe I used it before I put an SSD in my current system.

I will check out WMIC also. I haven't heard about it until I posted this so I'll give it a look as well.

Thank you for your input everyone.

Great! Let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 OFFLINE   DarkSerge

DarkSerge

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:50 PM

SeaTools only recognizes one of the drives when connected through the USB adapter, so looks like I'll have to learn some WMIC commands.

I tested an old 40GB Hitachi drive and it failed the short and long read tests.
~DarkSerge

#13 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Posting Prodigy

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:43 AM

Hello,

Western Digital's (formerly Hitachi Global Storage Technology's) Drive Fitness Test program might be of interest, as well as CrystalDiskInfo.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP 2004.1-2018.6 [Cloud and Datacenter Management]

(previously Networking, Windows, Windows for Devices and IT)
FacebookGoogle+ personal blogpersonal websiteTwitter work blog

#14 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:36 AM

Info on the first program mentioned above
https://www.lifewire...-review-2624565

Portable version of CrystalDiskInfo
https://portableapps...skinfo_portable
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   DarkSerge

DarkSerge

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:55 PM

CrystalDiskInfo detects everything just fine. Even hooked up my previous system drive before my SSD and it's got a few cautionary marks.

I'll give Windows Drive Fitness Test a try :thumbsup:
~DarkSerge

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users