Airport Extreme Firmware Update

bjf123

Apple has released a firmware update for the new Airport Extreme. Prior to the update, ports 53, 5009, and 65534 were open. Ports 139, 445, 548, 9100-9227, and 10000 showed as stealth. The rest showed closed. After the update, port 53 is now closed, as are all other ports except 5009 and 65534, which still report as open. No ports now show as stealth.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is built into my Mac Pro as a factory option. Does the firmware update apply to it? I have the impression it is for the stand alne unit. Better yet, 'caus I am new to Mac, and want to learn, how can I find out from their site?

First, welcome to the world of Mac! The update I'm talking about is for the new stand alone base station / router, not the wireless card that's built in to the systems, which is what I'm guessing you're talking about on your Mac Pro. You can read about the firmware update here.

Thank you for the welcome... The decision was made last year when I first heard about the Intel Mac... Because I knew what was comming... I consider my XP in parallels install to be strictly "legacy" now... I have found just about nothing that can't eventualyl go over to the mac.And you are right, I was referring to the card oprion in the Pro.My daughter is in Med school in Charleston and converted to Mac a couple years ago and uses her wireless for everything, including airport, etc. When she comes in next month we are going shopping and she is going to show me what all I can do.Thanks again for the heads up, and the welcome.

The update I'm talking about is for the new stand alone base station / router ...
I remember watching a Mac screencast on the Airport Extreme:http://screencastsonline.com/sco/Shows/fil...ortextreme.html(The guy has a regular video podcast - iTunes URL:http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore...ast?id=82738493)Anyway, I thought the Airport Extreme looked like a pretty amazing product in its way - particularly the way you can add an external drive and, in effect, use it as a fileserver.I've used wireless on Windows and Ubuntu Linux. It was painless on Windows, but for Ubuntu I had to download extra software to be able to use WPA encryption - and I wouldn't like to use wireless without that. But I've never used wireless on Macs - the one's I've had have been a little too near the bottom of the range to have built-in wireless. Edited by Mike1

Anyway, I thought the Airport Extreme looked like a pretty amazing product in its way - particularly the way you can add an external drive and, in effect, use it as a fileserver.
It is pretty neat. I've got a 250GB Lacie drive connected via USB to the Airport Extreme Base Station. Works great.