Multiple Linux distro's on new HDD

quint

Have just purchased a new HDD (80GB), and would like to use it for all different flavors of Linux; how do I go about adding them to either LILO or GRUB? Believe I can tackle the partitioning part, but isn't there something that needs to be put into the boot manager, prior to installing another distro? :lol: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi QuintNice seeing you attacking some real problems !Just install 1 distro at a time B) make a bootdisk ( instead of Lilo ) for them at the end !Only the last distro you install ( with the nicest Lilo graphics, Mandrake ) you install Lilo, and make a bootdisk later aswell !So then you can boot without floppy on the last distro, you change Lilo ( see Starters Tips ) install the new Lilo over the ¨old¨ one in the MBR, and yoou´re fully set up !If something fails or goes terribly wrong you always have the boot-floppys of all your distro´s !Sounds simple, and it is simple ! You can always call in for help ! :lol: Bruno

Bruno talks about this in Lilo/Grub configit's like the 8th post down on how to edit everything
Thanks, havnblast; thought that he did, but must have over-looked it - need to borrow his glasses. :lol:

Hi QuintNice seeing you attacking some real problems !Just install 1 distro at a time :) make a bootdisk ( instead of Lilo ) for them at the end !Only the last distro you install ( with the nicest Lilo graphics, Mandrake ) you install Lilo, and make a bootdisk later aswell !So then you can boot without floppy on the last distro, you change Lilo ( see Starters Tips ) install the new Lilo over the ¨old¨ one in the MBR, and yoou´re fully set up !If something fails or goes terribly wrong you always have the boot-floppys of all your distro´s !Sounds simple, and it is simple ! You can always call in for help ! B) Bruno
Bruno, thanks; I'll be starting very soon - but printing out your "Starter's Tips" first. Don't know how I missed it. :( Hope Julia, Fran & Sieb aren't annoyed that you left them for a bit. B) Thanks again. :lol:

Quint,Might I suggest using a multiboot loader such as XOSL. I've had great success with this and installing multiple Linux distros. What you would need to do is for each Linux distro, install LILO or GRUB on the /boot partition or / of each one rather than in the MBR and then have XOSL choose which distro to boot. This way you don't have to fiddle with LILO or GRUB.

Have just purchased a new HDD (80GB), and would like to use it for all different flavors of Linux; how do I go about adding them to either LILO or GRUB? Believe I can tackle the partitioning part, but isn't there something that needs to be put into the boot manager, prior to installing another distro? :lol: Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hey quint,Are u gonna give RedHat 9 a try? U may like the blucurve theme used in KDE and GNOME... B)

I've got RedHat 9.0 installed, but I find that 8.0 seemed more stable. Seem to have problems with rpm installs and I have a delay is some programs starting up. I click on it to start it and it can take up to 5 minutes before it fully launches. I hate to go back to 8.0 cause I really do like 9.0

Hi QuintNice seeing you attacking some real problems !Just install 1 distro at a time B) make a bootdisk ( instead of Lilo ) for them at the end !Only the last distro you install ( with the nicest Lilo graphics, Mandrake ) you install Lilo, and make a bootdisk later aswell !So then you can boot without floppy on the last distro, you change Lilo ( see Starters Tips ) install the new Lilo over the ¨old¨ one in the MBR, and yoou´re fully set up !If something fails or goes terribly wrong you always have the boot-floppys of all your distro´s !Sounds simple, and it is simple ! You can always call in for help ! :lol: Bruno
Bruno,Supposing every distro installs LILO onto the MBR, would'nt the last distro automatically detect the previous versions and keep adding the entries into lilo.conf? I think GRUB does this...not sure about LILO....never used it before. B)

I've got RedHat 9.0 installed, but I find that 8.0 seemed more stable.  Seem to have problems with rpm installs and I have a delay is some programs starting up.  I click on it to start it and it can take up to 5 minutes before it fully launches.  I hate to go back to 8.0 cause I really do like 9.0
Ur right.....I too found the difference. For RPM management u should give apt-get and Synaptic a try. All dependencies, latest versions are downloaded automatically. A great interface and simple.The unstablity seems to be bluecurve...since the plain versions of KDE and GNOME are pretty ok. RedHat seems to be making some big time changes. How do u like the burn feature in GNOME? Works great.....

Supposing every distro installs LILO onto the MBR, would'nt the last distro automatically detect the previous versions and keep adding the entries into lilo.conf? I think GRUB does this...not sure about LILO....never used it before.
007, good thinking , worth tying ! :lol: Bruno

Yes the burn program works great I have used it several times and yes I installed the apt-get and really love that program. I also have enjoyed the changes in RedHat from it's earlier years, just keeps getting better.

Thanks, everyone - you're all great to help. :lol:

Quint My first priority is The All Things Linux forum !
Thanks, Bruno; have never been there.
Quint,Might I suggest using a multiboot loader such as XOSL. I've had great success with this and installing multiple Linux distros. What you would need to do is for each Linux distro, install LILO or GRUB on the /boot partition or / of each one rather than in the MBR and then have XOSL choose which distro to boot. This way you don't have to fiddle with LILO or GRUB.
Thanks, peachy; that's the one the kid used for 57 OS's, I think - have read about it and believe it's free.
Hey quint,Are u gonna give RedHat 9 a try? U may like the blucurve theme used in KDE and GNOME...
Was very much planning on it; have RH 9.0 burned on 5 cd's, thanks 007.
I've got RedHat 9.0 installed, but I find that 8.0 seemed more stable. Seem to have problems with rpm installs and I have a delay is some programs starting up. I click on it to start it and it can take up to 5 minutes before it fully launches. I hate to go back to 8.0 cause I really do like 9.0
Thank you, havnblast, will be thinking about this, as I also have RH 8.0 burned to cd's.Thank you all, again - this is THE forum. B)

Was very much planning on it; have RH 9.0 burned on 5 cd's, thanks 007.
Thank you, havnblast, will be thinking about this, as I also have RH 8.0 burned to cd's.
Ur system is gonna be filled with Penguins Quint!! :lol:

Ur system is gonna be filled with Penguins Quint!!  :P
:P Just as long as they don't fill it with something else. ;)

quint,U could try this out.....When installing all the distros, make sure u install the bootloader into the MBR and as Bruno mentioned, do make boot-floppies too.If LILO is able to automatically detect and add the entries (of the previous distro) which I do feel it will, then u will not have to edit the lilo.conf file manually..keep us posted on the experiment! :D

quint,U could try this out.....When installing all the distros, make sure u install the bootloader into the MBR and as Bruno mentioned, do make boot-floppies too.If LILO is able to automatically detect and add the entries  (of the previous distro) which I do feel it will, then u will not have to edit the lilo.conf file manually..keep us posted on the experiment!  :D
Agent007,Thanks for the tips. Will start this project around noon or so; wanted to do it earlier, but the storms and winds we had deposited a rather large part of a locust tree in my neighbor's yard - and could not bear to watch him tackle the job with a meat cutting saw :D (truly, that's all he had)! Got out the Stihl, and he is one :D neighbor. Maybe I'll get good Karma for that, and have a "5 - distro Linux HDD", with little or no problems. :D Will definitely post my progress...and will not configure my NIC. :D

Quint, you had no NIC problems, silly, do as you did before  ;) B)  Good Luck ! ;)  Bruno
Bruno,Didn't have any installing RedHat 9.0 and ELX; used GRUB, and so far (just two distros), everything's ok. :) I do keep messing up the partition size though. :( Convinced that to properly install my NIC - I do nothing, just accept whatever the install suggests. Said something about auto DHCP - something to read up and study about. Using RH9 right now, tomorrow will try Vector, Knoppix (installed), and of course - Mandrake 9.1; fun for the old man who wishes he was back at the sea. :unsure: If/when the problems arise, I know where to come for help. Thanks all for getting me this far. :)

Quint !Aye aye, sailor ! Have a safe trip over the Linux Distro sea !As the weather gets stormy, just let me know ! :P Bruno

Quint !Aye aye, sailor ! Have a safe trip over the Linux Distro sea !As the weather gets stormy, just let me know ! B)  Bruno
Thanks, Bruno. Knoppix install took me into "unchartered waters" (cfdisk was unfamiliar to me), but I am using it to write this. :) Yours, and others suggestions have been invaluable. :blink: Have some chores around the house, then either Asp or Peanut Linux. The tip on creating bootdisks was very important, thanks. :D I'll be back,

Geee QuintYou´re taking giant leaps here ! You´re doing extremely well for someone just a few weeks on Linux !Go on ! It´s a big world and there are many other distro´s for you to discover ! Aye aye Columbus !:blink: Bruno

Hi all, just added ASPLinux 7.3 to my HDD; all went fine, and it's an interesting distro. It was released somewhere around Jan. 2003, and was wondering if I can apply updates from the RedHat site, since the ASP site has not shown me anyplace in which to do this. I realize this might be a less than intelligent question, but the kernel's the same, is it not? ^_^ Any advice appreciated.

Hi all, just added ASPLinux 7.3 to my HDD; all went fine, and it's an interesting distro. It was released somewhere around Jan. 2003, and was wondering if I can apply updates from the RedHat site, since the ASP site has not shown me anyplace in which to do this. I realize this might be a less than intelligent question, but the kernel's the same, is it not? :( Any advice appreciated.
Hi Quint,I´m afraid RedHat won´t be able to update your ASP distro. Kernels are alike in all distro´s that hit the mirrors at around the same time, because they are made ¨in a deferent factory¨ and then only used as base for those diffrerent distro´s. ( some distro´s make very little changes to those generic kernels, like mandrake, but for the most part it is exactly the same. )Just keep trying the ASP update site . . . :( Bruno

Hi Quint,I´m afraid RedHat won´t be able to update your ASP distro. Kernels are alike in all distro´s that hit the mirrors at around the same time, because they are made ¨in a deferent factory¨ and then only used as base for those diffrerent distro´s. ( some distro´s make very little changes to those generic kernels, like mandrake, but for the most part it is exactly the same. )Just keep trying the ASP update site . . . :) Bruno
Thanks, Bruno. Tried everything I could think of (before seeing your explanation), no cigar. Will try another distro in it's place; the graphics were not up to par /w Mandrake, RedHat, Knoppix, or ELX. I finally did it: disconnected the hdd that WinXP is on; having way too much fun learning the ways of the penguin. :)

Quint - surprised you haven't joined the official penguins club yet... Member list seems to be growing every day! it's got Zox, Stryder, Teacher, havnblast and more!! Pandamonium I say!P.S. You should hook up that XP drive again!! My friends at MS can't spy on you without it!! (see avatar) B)

Quint, good job ! Format that HD !B) Bruno
NO!!! DO NOT FORMAT THAT HARDDRIVE!!! IT'S THE WORST MISTAKE YOU COULD MAKE!!Now come on quint... who would you trust? A ruthless, womanizing penguin, or a man who became the richest man in the world thanks to millions of suckers...er I mean millions of smart people who chose the best operating systems built by Microsoft? Make the right choice quint!! If you're going to format a harddrive, make it the Linux one!! B)