Viewing .svg files fro Konqueror

Grogerf

Hallo Folks :D Now I've got a load of clip art on my machine as described here http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...st&p=245758I would like to be able to view it from Konqueror. I can do this by a right-click and 'open with' and then selecting 'Inkscape' :D but when I left click on the file in Konqueror it opens up with a load of text :hmm: I've tried looking at the file associations in KDE and put Inkscape as the application for 'svg' files (previously there was no application listed). I moved KWrite and Konqueror below Inkscape on the applications list for svg-xml and svg+xml files - but still no joy :hmm: , when i left click on the file I still get a load of text rather than the image :whistling: What am I doing wrong or missing doing to let me click on the file & view the image? :thumbsup: ;) Grogerf

there's a plugin for konqueror called ksvg, more specifically it's kdegraphics-ksvg. it should be in your repository or you may find a rpm on the web. latest version is Version: 3.5.7-8.1mdv2008.0.thanks for the idea. i just installed this myself and am browsing some cool images. gwenview is a nice image viewer for these.i wonder what issues one might have because of the root ownership?

Edited by cybormoron

there's a plugin for konqueror called ksvg, more specifically it's kdegraphics-ksvg. it should be in your repository or you may find a rpm on the web. latest version is Version: 3.5.7-8.1mdv2008.0.thanks for the idea. i just installed this myself and am browsing some cool images. gwenview is a nice image viewer for these.i wonder what issues one might have because of the root ownership?
Hallo cybormoron :hmm: Thanks for your reply :whistling: I've installed ksvg and it's library using the MCC thanks :thumbsup: However I must still be doing something wrong :) I still only get the text when I left click in Konqueror :D I can see a preview of some of the files if I select the icon view mode ;) I wonder if I'm expecting too much :hmm: - I was expecting the file to be opened to show a picture rather than text :hmm: .I can also middle click & it opens in Inkscape :D I guess if I add Gwenview to the file associations it will open with Gwenview :D Grogerf Edited by Grogerf

HI Groger . . . . . if you right-click the .svg file and you select "Open With", what options does it list ?- In case there are no options at all chose "Other" and from there select "gwenview" ( tick the box "Remenber application associated for this file" ) and next time it will know what program to use when double-clicking the file. **- In case there are options in the "Open With" menu, please tell us what the options are.:thumbsup: Bruno** This is the *safe* way to set file associations :whistling:

HI Groger . . . . . if you right-click the .svg file and you select "Open With", what options does it list ?- In case there are no options at all chose "Other" and from there select "gwenview" ( tick the box "Remenber application associated for this file" ) and next time it will know what program to use when double-clicking the file.- In case there are options in the "Open With" menu, please tell us what the options are.:D Bruno
Hallo Bruno ;) Thanks for your reply :whistling: When I right click the options are :-Inkscape (I added this one to the file associations) KwriteFSpotEpiphanyFirefoxThanks again :thumbsup: Grogerf

Hi GrogerIn case you want to edit the .svg files I would indeed open them in inkscape . . . but if you only want to view the files I would set the preferred association to "gwenview" the way I described above.;):whistling: Bruno

In the file associations dialog:(1)File name patter=svgKnown Types= svgtab General: Application Preference Order > click Add > select Inkscape (if not available install package Inkscape)tab Embedding:Left Click Action=Show file in separate viewerServices Preferences Order=KOffice Painting and Image Editor Component (kritapart)(2)File name patter=svgKnown Types= svg+xmltab General: Application Preference Order > click Add > select Inkscape (if ot available install package Inkscape)tab Embedding:Left Click Action=Show file in separate viewerServices Preferences Order=KOffice Painting and Image Editor Component (kritapart)This will open up svg files in Inkscape with a left click, except from within Konqueror where it will open them with a left click in krita.

Hi GrogerIn case you want to edit the .svg files I would indeed open them in inkscape . . . but if you only want to view the files I would set the preferred association to "gwenview" the way I described above.;)B) Bruno
Hallo Bruno :D Thanks for your reply :D I tried to do as you suggest, but something has gone wrong :( Now when I left or centre click in Konqueror the file opens with Inkscape :) , if I right click an select Gwenview from the list (It's at the bottom of the list), Gwenview (& also Krita) seem to freeze up on a .svg file (2_dead_frogs_lumen_desig_01.svg), but Inkscape, firefox and the Gimp open the file without a problem. If I try to stop either Gwenview or Krita after several minutes of them freezing I get the 'not responding' message, with the opportunity to terminate the application :D The trouble is tha I'm sure that Gwenview opened the same file without a problem before I tried to make this change :( Is this a KDE problem that I've created :whistling: Hoping to get out of the hole :D I seem to have dug myself :) Grogerf
In the file associations dialog:(1)File name patter=svgKnown Types= svgtab General: Application Preference Order > click Add > select Inkscape (if not available install package Inkscape)tab Embedding:Left Click Action=Show file in separate viewerServices Preferences Order=KOffice Painting and Image Editor Component (kritapart)(2)File name patter=svgKnown Types= svg+xmltab General: Application Preference Order > click Add > select Inkscape (if ot available install package Inkscape)tab Embedding:Left Click Action=Show file in separate viewerServices Preferences Order=KOffice Painting and Image Editor Component (kritapart)This will open up svg files in Inkscape with a left click, except from within Konqueror where it will open them with a left click in krita.
Hallo striker :hmm: Thanks for your reply - looks like a very good idea :hmm: :hmm: But - I'd better not try to embark on this idea until I get out of the mess I created somehow when trying to follow Bruno's suggestion :thumbsup: ;) Grogerf Edited by Grogerf

Okay Groger . . . I did some test and here is what I found: gwenview is not suited to view svg+xml files . . . but "display" does the trick: try this:

$ display /usr/share/images/openclipart/animals/scorpion-md-v0.1.svg

Now another thing I found is that for every .svg image in /usr/share/images/openclipart/ there is a .png image too . . . so this works too:

$ gwenview /usr/share/images/openclipart/animals/scorpion-md-v0.1.png

( and now you will see that the image is on a transparent background :whistling: )So . . . . . with point and click you can right-click the .png version of the file and open it in gwenview if you want . . . . also you can open the .png file in inkskape if you want to work on it. ( though if I were you I would prefer opening it in The Gimp ):thumbsup: Bruno

Okay Groger . . . I did some test and here is what I found: gwenview is not suited to view svg+xml files . . . but "display" does the trick: try this:
$ display /usr/share/images/openclipart/animals/scorpion-md-v0.1.svg

Now another thing I found is that for every .svg image in /usr/share/images/openclipart/ there is a .png image too . . . so this works too:

$ gwenview /usr/share/images/openclipart/animals/scorpion-md-v0.1.png

( and now you will see that the image is on a transparent background :) )So . . . . . with point and click you can right-click the .png version of the file and open it in gwenview if you want . . . . also you can open the .png file in inkskape if you want to work on it. ( though if I were you I would prefer opening it in The Gimp )B) Bruno

Hallo Bruno :D Thank you for your reply :whistling: :thumbsup: I tried the code for ImagMagick and Gwenview and they both worked 'as advertised' ;) :D So I didn't destroy Gwenview :( :( :) - that's good to know - thought I was having a 'bad hair day' - that's serious if you're bald like me :hysterical:Thanks for the explanation :D I've noticed that not all the files have a .png version - don't know why this is :) , but I guess it could easily be fixed with ImageMagick each time I run into it on an image that I want to use :hmm: :hmm: Thanks again for looking into my problem and coming up with the solution :hmm: :D Grogerf