Orgnizing folders in hierarchy copy and past lost files

zillah

Dear Experts

For my work when i tried to organize folders one inside each other in a max 6 hierarchy folders (not files),,,,and I have got many of those hierarchy not only one.

Example below of the folders names on my hard drive D

STORAGE-> BUSINESS->ACCOUNTAN-WORK-->TEMPLATES-->MISCELLANEOUS-->PAYMENTS --> Then many files (doc, excel, web pages HTML, pdf,,,,,etc)

I copied and pasted the whole drive from one laptop to another when I changed a company or changed my laptop or replaced hard drive with bigger size,,,etc

Recently when I checked the D drive folders I realized some files are missing ,,,,that must have happened when I copied.

Then I used 2BrightSparks program for backup still when I checked some files are missing

How to avoid that ? Alternative suggestion ?

Thanks

Dear Afolk

Accidently i posted the same question in the Linux forum and then i realized my mistake and i asked both moderator and admin to move it to the right section but nothing happened i guess they might be busy.

For my work when i tried to organize folders one inside each other in a max 6 hierarchy folders (not files),,,,and I have got many of those hierarchy not only one.

Example below of the folders names on my hard drive D

STORAGE-> BUSINESS->ACCOUNTAN-WORK-->TEMPLATES-->MISCELLANEOUS-->PAYMENTS --> Then many files (doc, excel, web pages HTML, pdf,,,,,etc)

I copied and pasted the whole drive from one laptop to another when I changed a company or changed my laptop or replaced hard drive with bigger size,,,etc

Recently when I checked the D drive folders I realized some files are missing ,,,,that must have happened when I copied.

Then I used 2BrightSparks program for backup still when I checked some files are missing

How to avoid that ? Alternative suggestion ?

Thanks

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... sorry. Both Josh and I replied to you about this when you used the Report button. I thought Josh moved the thread.

There you go. Topics MERGED! Unrelated/Off-topic posts split off to new topic in ATL - "File Transfer Between Different File Systems, etc."

====

Dear readers of this thread, zillah is still attempting to get his original Windows-related question answered.

Thank you!

ADMIN

Hello,

I am wondering if you hit the 260-character long path limit that has been in Microsoft Windows for, well, a while. In Windows 10/Windows Server 2016, the maximum length of the path can be changed to 32,767 characters. It is possible this may cause conflicts with some programs, so it is disabled by default. Here's how to enable it:

Via Group Policy

Run the Group Policy Editor (filename: GPEDIT.MSC) and navigate to Local Computer Policy → Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → System → Filesystem and set Enable Win32 long paths to Enabled. (checked in Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1803)

Via Registry Editor

Run the Registry Editor (filename: REGEDIT.EXE) and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem and set LongPathsEnabled to a DWORD of 1 (which means enabled)

Via PowerShell

Open an elevated PowerShell prompt, and issue a "Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem" -Name "LongPathsEnabled" -Value "0x00000001" -Type DWord" command (sans quotes) at the prompt.

No matter which method you use, a reboot is required for the change to take effect.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
I am wondering if you hit the 260-character long path limit that has been in Microsoft Windows for, well, a while.

Yes Aryeh I guess this is the problem

I follow the instructions and see how it goes

Hmm... sorry. Both Josh and I replied to you about this when you used the Report button. I thought Josh moved the thread.

Thanks Eric

• Like 2