The Software Hall of Fame!

FuzzButt

Hello,I know we all complain about software bugs and whatnot but there should be a thread about software that you really like and make your computing experiance better.For instance I really like:Screen Themes. It is a wallpaper manager of sorts. It changes my wallpaper every day from a database of some 400+ great pictures that I have purchased.NewsRover 8.2. A Usenet newsgroup reader that makes usenet access much easier. With Autoscans and find/search utilities and the ability for 20 News Servers and complete customization of server settings.mIRC 6.2 with Invision addin. Well if you are going to spend any time on IRC this is a much better interface than the stock one.Nero 5.5.10.20 Burning utility. Well I use this for everything but the burning of ISO formatted files. MS Office XP Professional w/Front Page. Even though it has that stupid PA thing I still think it is better than any other offering of Office Apps. I have used all of Lotus's offerings, Corel's stuff a little bit, Star Office is a bit buggy for me to depend on. I think that for the matter of across the board compatibilitty this is the one. I believe it is both MS's break through app and their bread and butter. I use Office 2000 across Citrix daily and while I really don't notice a difference it is nice to be able to sit infront of nearly any office Application of any version and be able to use it to it's full potential with nearly no learning curve.Got any others? I have a few more but will save space for your opinionsChris

Great topic Fuzzbutt! :DMy Hall of Fame has to start with Trillian Pro!Trillian is the best way to keep in touch with all your IM friends. It works with AOL IM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, and even has an IRC client built in! I bought the Pro version to show my support for the program, but the free version is great! No ads, no spyware, nothing bad! Second would be Rainlendar. It's a very nice little calendar program that sits unobtrusively (and mostly transparent) on my desktop reminding me of the day! You can even add reminder notes to each day! :( I also use Rainmeter from the same site... it's a great sysinfo meter (even has the gkrellm skin available! :) ).Third is Mozilla Firebird. I love this browser, and while it's still got some shortcomings, and is only beta version 0.6, it's still IMO the best browser available! :) Probably have more, but these are the three best programs on my machine! :)

Hmm, I love Adobe Acrobat 5.0. It creates PDF files like no one else's business and it integrates well with all your apps because you can print directly to the PDF writer.Another favourite is Macromedia Dreamweaver MX. I love its ability to work directly with MySQL databases across a network/internet. It has some useful PHP automation that is quite useable. The only caveat I have is that it is not completely WYSIWYG with respect to Cascading Style Sheet editing/display. But that's why there's a preview button! :) But my most indispensible tool for making multiboot setups a piece of cake is eXtended Operating System Loader (XOSL). I raved about it so much that even Fred Langa saw fit to publish my email message to him. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Connectix's Virtual PC rocks, allowing me to use a VPN client without disconnecting me from my network. Word, Excel, and Access all deserve a "Fame" in my book. Yeah, Word has a huge learning curve to master, but I produced an 8-page newsletter for 10 years using it (back to Word 2.0!) Once you know what it's doing, you understand why certain things appear to screw up your document, and I can do pretty much anything with it.Mozilla Firebird beats IE, hands down.The free tools from SysInternals deserve a prize too.

I'd like to niominate Textpad.exe.It is a very simple to use Text editor. It can do anything that notepad can do plus it can do so much more, like show you line numbers if you are a coder, block select mode, search using the [f5] key, search and replace by using the [f8] key, sort with the [f9] key, spellcheck with the [f7] key, or record and execute macros.It color codes your source code and html documents so I use it to edit my old DOS Basic programs, my C++, Java, and even VB programs. I do all of my html work in it too. If somebody alters the file you are working on with another application, Textpad sees the change and asks if you want to load the new version. _________________________________________Marc KuhlICQ#: 800527My Web Page: http://my.voyager.net/~marck_________________________________________

I'm using NetCaptor as my Internet browser and find it very fast and reliable. It also "tabs" the web pages for you which is a great feature. It is very reasonably priced shareware. Al Strachan

As far as good software, the best program I've ever used is Photoshop. It never crashes, it is very powerful, the interface works the way you think it should, and the things you can do with digital images and this program are truly awesome. While it is true that there is a steep learning curve for this application, your time spent in learning it will be well spent; you will reap rewards the first time you color correct an image, or clone one portion of an image to another.

While I can not fathom Zone Alarm's mention in the Hall of Fame, with its basic and systemic problems, I do heartily nominate SpyBot Search & Destroy. Very effective, many functions and it is available for free though a donation is possible(recommended by me).

My nominations:Notespad.PTBSync (Time sync).O&O Defrag.Be Clean (System cleaner).CSE HTMP Validator. (Also makes a good HTML editor).AIDA 32.ErfanView.Socket Lock.Spyware Blaster.AnalogX Cookie WAll.Analogx Scriipt Defender.Xtex Systems X-Setup.WebWasher.Does anyone know of a good freeware compression utility?If anyone knows of programs that do the same functions as these better - please let me know. I'm always looking for a better way of doing things.Sea

Here is what I think of some of the current list of nominees, as mentioned in the 6.17.03 news letter. * Microsoft Internet Explorer - I actually support putting this on the list of *shame*, but I'd certainly be happy with just getting it off this list. :-) My reasons are in the other thread, but they include standards support and not having many features present in other browsers. If this were several years ago, it would be probably the best Windows browser available. But it's 2003, and Netscape, Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird, and Opera simply are better in most respects.* David Harris Pegasus Mail - Can't say that I support this nomination. If you thought Eudora looked outdated, try this. I know, I know, it's just the interface, but it's how I use the program--and it doesn't look good. From its choice of default fonts to its icons, I couldn't use it for longer than a day.* Qualcomm Eudora - is good and only *looks* bad, but is certainly better than Pegasus in that regard. Not sure how I feel on this one; it's not shameware, but I don't know about fameware, either. :-D* WinZip Computing WinZip - not bad, but there are plenty of free alternatives, such as UltimateZip. Plus, they're tampering with the format a bit--not that PKware, the *inventor* of the format (well, the company--the person passed away) isn't...* Linux - I'd support it, but I'd suggest renaming this nomination to GNU/Linux unless you're just nominating the kernel. :-) What most people call Linux (which is really just the kernel) is more accurately called GNU/Linux (the kernel *and* set of tools comprising the OS). I don't think this common mistake is ever going to get "fixed," though--but we should keep in mind that Linus and friends didn't "invent" the *operating system*. GNU was working since the 80's to make UNIXlike tools--they just lacked a kernel, which they started work on, but--thankfully--Linux came. They're both important parts. Personally, I've found the freeware PopTray to be very useful, but I don't think it's popular. It sits in my system tray and can notify me when I have new mail. Probably not indispensible enough to merit nomination. I guess I don't have a lot of superexiting can't-live-without programs to nominate. :-)PS - I don't know how I lived without TweakUI and select other power toys, but that would certainly make an odd nomination.

Guest ThunderRiver

I nominate Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional because it is very user friendly with PDF creation, and so far my experience with it is very very positive. But if you already have version 5.0, you can stick with what you have. For users with version 4.x you really should try the newest one!The newes version has more optimized PDF file (with higher and better compression of course), and it truly facilitates the ability to make company brochure with embeded hyperlink. The product is not free of course, but if you are a business user, and if you need some software to create your daily professional business documents, that product is for you.

My nominees are...NoteTab Light - I love the way the documents that you didn't specifically close come back tabbed when you restart the application, this is such a great timesaver!TweakUI and Command Here power toys - I am in agreement with RobertM.MS Outlook XP - I can hear the boos and the jeers, but this is one of my all time faves and I've used it at work and at home since version 98.Paint Shop Pro - version 8 is quite impressiveHomeSite - this application got me really excited about Internet and the tremedous talent that's out there, used it since version 1 (and still have it, too!) :blink: Forte Agent - I know it's clunky and outdated in appearance, but it's still the BEST newsreader out thereNero Burning ROM - nothing comes even close (but that's just my eprsonal view)I think I took up enough real estate! Ciao!Arek.

PGP - Been using this for many years and Version 8.x is the simplest yet.Personal Passworder - Keep all your passwords, CC#s, and other personal data encrypted yet easily accessible. Highly configurable.Opera - Better than IE and more polished than all the Mozilla variants...GoToMyPC - Remote access to any of your systems. This is the ultimate tool for the telecommuter.

My head is beginning to spin with all the latest "Hall of Shame/Fame" nominees in Scot's latest newsletter. What's most confusing is that some (e.g., Eudora) are listed under both categories! Huh? And Paint Shop Pro suddenly went from Shame to Fame. ??Some of the nominees for Hall of Shame were obvious, but others were not. Why BlackIce? Or Forte Agent? I use both and have been happy with both. Neither may be in my list of favorites, but they're far from Hall of Shame material, IMHO.My list of favorite programs would certainly include ClipMate clipboard manager, Mulberry email program (feature-rich program for power users; terrific tech support), HyperSnap-DX, Powermarks, and Opera browser.Cybernut

Most of my fav's have already been mentioned, except one; TinySpell v1.3. A system-tray resident app that provides spell checking in any program. Very handy.

Martini Lover

MS WORD best WP, I ever used. Takes a while to learn how to use, but results are great. MS WORKS v4.5 (obsolete version). Mail Merge from simple database and WP , also does envelopes and labels very easy. Nice little office version. You can buy new copies for about $10.00. :rolleyes: :D Free Stuff :o :o SpybotAd-awareAVG anti-virus.PanicWare PopUp Stopper keeps 99% of pop-ups away.RoboForm for remembering passwords and no spyware or ads.Belarc Advisor tells you what’s on your machine, hardware and the software with code numbers.MS Powertoys- I really like the Alt+Tab Replacement tool which allows you to see what is there, not just the icon.InfanView for resizing, and changing format on pictures.

ShiksaGrrrl

GSPOTFor anyone who watches AVI's ( movie files ) on their computer and runs into problems with the movie file not working.Often, it is that the correct codec isnt installed on the PC.Therefore, this small piece of software will quickly tell you what codecs are used in this avi which will enable you to promptly get the file working.This is just one of those programs that everyone who watches films MUST have! :rolleyes: As well, it is so easy to use anyone can do so, without any trouble!GSpot Codec Information ApplianceFeatures:ÂÅ“ Establishes what video codecs (audio and video) are required to play an AVI file. ÂÅ“ Determines whether these codecs are installed on your system. ÂÅ“ Isolates problems associated with these codecs. ÂÅ“ Simple operation - Basic use: "File > Open", then read results -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ÂÅ“ Identifies download induced problems (truncated files, "cooked" files, etc.) ÂÅ“ Shows framerate, duration, aspect ratio, bitrates, AVI structure info, and more. ÂÅ“ Displays and allows editing of RIFF info (title, etc); displays "hidden" ASCII info. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ÂÅ“ Drag and Drop and "Send To" support, multi-file (batch) processing support ÂÅ“ Copy/Paste or text export GSpot information - format is user configurable. ÂÅ“ Built-in database of 350 video and 150 audio codec types ÂÅ“ Advanced UI including "dual-mode" and hyperlinked "persistent" tool tips -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ÂÅ“ Full support for OGG media files as well as AVI stream formats ÂÅ“ Identification (only) of non-AVI files (.mpg, .mov, .qt, .rm, .swf, .wmv, .asf, etc.) ÂÅ“ Supports VFW, ACM, DirectShow and DMO codec types (audio and video) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ÂÅ“ Win95/98/ME/NT/2K/XP ÂÅ“ No Install, No spyware, No advertising, No registration ÂÅ“ Free

:rolleyes: SuSE Pro.
i second and triple this one<--- didn't my avatar give it away? :D as far as WINDOWS apps, hmm, let me refresh my memory:- NeroBurn - coz it works 100% of time- Win98SE - for still being relevant and refusing to die even 6 years later :o- WinXP - aside from stupid WPA and other privacy-invasion distrust from MS, it is actually quite rock solid- Mozilla & Mozilla Mail 1.4 and higher - the best browser/email just keeps getting better and better- Trillian Pro - would never use MSN or ICQ ever again- WinRAR 3.x - quick and reads all zips, rars, aces, cabs- WindowBlinds v4 - they screwed up v3 speed wise, but v4 rocks and is so much nicer than StyleXP, IMO(little known fact. DISABLE THEMES Service and then run Windowblinds, otherwise you have 2 theming programs running together, making Windowblinds feel slow; if you disable XP's themes, WindowBlinds flies super fast)- emule - open source p2p- Winamp 2.9 (NOT v3) - loads fast and never skips a beattheres more, but i'm tired, so i'm off for now

I'm happy with the Dos programs I use daily in Win9x Dos window & Win2000 (not all will work in Win2k command window), my personalHall of FamersWordStar 6DF (directory freedom, a freebie)LCD (change directory)FFF32 Jim Derr's classic fast file findDM2 directory matchLL3 -- indispensible LapLink3 -- works great on a lanListQeditDataStar db Lucid spreadsheetWin Programs: These essentials go on every computer, some redundancy involvedGetright download managerWinzipWordPerfect 6,7,8 (one of few programs that will import WordStar)NoteTabNotepadPlusMail WasherTimeRC TClockNetscape 4.79InfoSelect (5)ChimpAgentCuteFTPIfranPowerDeskAcrobat 5OEIEOpera

I'd like to nominate the best freeware graphics viewer, IMHO, IrfanView. I've been using it for many years without one hiccup. It is also the fastest viewer I've ever seen.Some IrfanView features: Many supported file formats Multi language support Thumbnail/preview option Slideshow (save slideshow as EXE/SCR or burn it to CD) Drag & drop support Fast directory view (moving through directory) Batch conversion (with image processing) Email option Multimedia player Print option Change color depth Scan (batch scan) support Cut/crop IPTC editing Effects (Sharpen, Blur, Photoshop filter factory) Capturing Extract icons from EXE/DLL/ICLs Lossless JPG rotation Many hotkeys Many command line options Many plugins Only one EXE-File, no DLLs, no Shareware messages like "I Agree" or "Evaluation expired" No registry changes without user action/permission!

I program for a living, and the two programs that pay the rent for me are:Ultra Edit text editorandClassic Clipboard Pro clipboard managerI've used them as a team for several years.

Hello, I'm new to posting here, tho' I've recieved the newletter for quite awhile. Just wanted to add a couple things to the Hallof Fame---I use and love 'Crazy Browser' which is Freeand can be found at http://www.download.com alongwith another Freebie browser called 'Fast Browser'. Both are Tabbed, which I love, and whateversites you are on when you close the browser will Open thenext time (if you choose that option). Two more good/free browsers are: 'Avant' browser and 'SurfTabs' browser. Instead of WinZip, I use 'CoffeeZip20' whichis Free and very easy to use. I learn so much via the Newsletter and amhaving fun reading through all the threads/forums here.

markfriedman

Scott,I'd like to nominate UltraEdit to the Hall of Fame. It's been a solid product for a long time and it's developer is always available for issues and or suggestions. Following that pattern, an extremely useful program for me that has re-emerged is Random Event Sounds XP by Ztec Software.This inexpensive package has allowed me to use as by desktop photographs I have taken over the years and scanned into my machine (some 2500 or so) and let me choose how often the screen will change and if it should cycle through the list or go through it randomly. It does the same thing with my collection of wav files. The latter can be assigned (in groups) to any windows event and the same kind of processing is available: you pick the frequency and cycle type. It's a cheap, but reliable techie toy.I also ask you to move Forte's Agent to the Hall of Fame list. It's non-invasive and unique in its functionality. There was a long period where it sat waiting to be updated, but that has been resolved and there's an active development staff on board. It's one of the best Usenet tools out there.Thanks,Mark

oh, how can I forget Dreamweaver. best web design tool, bar none. works nicely with Fireworks, another fave of mine.my fave newsreader: NewsGrabber (no more new versions tough)my fave FTP: CuteFTP Promy fave tools all my digital pictures: PSP8, ACDSee 5, PicaView2my fave desktop tools: WindowBlinds4, Webshotsmy fave tweaker: Customizer XP, SpyBot

quark (Jun 18 2003 at 12:47 AM):

Win Programs: These essentials go on every computer, some redundancy involvedGetRight. . .Netscape 4.79
How could I forget about GetRight? It was probably the first download manager and still my favorite. Nothing new has come about in it for a while, but I still like it. I agree with this nomination.However, I couldn't disagree more with Netscape 4.79, which is possibly the worst browser known to man. Version 7 is one I would *totally* support for fame nomination, though. Communicator/Navigator 4 has many problems, though, but the main one is CSS support--it shouldn't try to interpret anything it doesn't understand, but it does and contains many partial and buggy implementations. Good thing doesn't support @import and that its market share is diminishing, or many a designer would be held back by lack of support. That, and pages were slow to render, some literally never-ending. And the program itself was a bit bloated.Anyone on version 4 would seriously be better off on version 3 to encourage the adoption of Web standards like CSS and the move away from presentational HTML. Version 3 understanding no CSS is much better than version 4 killing half of what it tries to, and version 3 will only become better after designers use structural HTML (the way it's designed to be used) instead of imitating it with presentational elements.And if I recall, I don't think version 4 even had "real" CSS support. I believe it depended on Javascript, and if you turned that off, then there it went. So if you still want to use NN 4, I suggest turning off Javascript if you don't mind. :)If Netscape 8 ever comes out, it will truly be a work of art if it's based on Mozilla Firebird. Not that the next 7.-something Netscape release we'll see probably in the next month won't be good, either, but nothing could be more deserving of the title "shameware" than Netscape 4. Well, not nothing, but it seems like it! P.S. - Sorry for ranting about version 4 every time I get the chance, but I think it's a very important issue. Internet Explorer for Windows isn't great, but we're certainly fortunate to have at least that.

OK... this one actually takes a bit more thinking than the Hall of Shame. There are a lot of pieces of software which I think are very, very good and I like the support but when you are talking Hall of Fame I think you should be extraordinarily selective.That said, I'll probably nominate a half dozen or so things after some consideration but there is only one that I am so confident of I'll throw it in right now as my absolute number 1.ServersAliveAbsolute rock.solid and extensive server monitoring and a vanishingly small price. The basic engine was already great in version 3 but the user interface was primitive to say the least. Version 4 made huge strides on the user interface.And the support goes SO far beyond anything I have ever experienced before that it is simply unbelievable.

I'm going to add a fifth (or so) vote for IrfanView. Others:Visual Slickedit. A great program/text editor. I also love the fact that it installs everything in one directory and doesn't use the registry to save values between sessions.Another vote here for DreamWeaver MX. I used their 30 day trial, and was able to get a web-site up and running with no prior experience. That convinced me to buy the product.MusicMatch jukebox.Visio. When this program first came out I thought: "A tool for know-nothings." Well, I worked a contract that required me to generate flow-charts as part of the specifications. I picked Visio (pre Microsoft) over a dedicated flow-charting tool. And now I realize what a truly great idea it is. Visio made a pod-person out of me. ;)

Wendolene Ramsbottom

It seems logical that the best way to protect your system from viruses, trojans, and other scumware that slithers into your Registry and does its dirty work, is to keep the b*st**ds from getting into your Registry in the first place. So I installed Greyware Registry Rearguard (GRR!) over a year ago, and it's kept my system even cleaner than my mom's floors. Other than my "Fellowship Of The Ring" extended dvd, the best twenty-five dollars I've ever spent!http://www.greyware.com/software/grr/overview.aspsmileyup02.gifWendolene

I would like to put in a word for two products - both from the same site (but no axe to grind!)1. SlimBrowser (www.flashpeak.com). Personally, I find this better than any other browser but see for yourselves!2. Ultimashell (www.flashpeak.com). I know that Scot is very fond of ActiveWords, and rightly so, but really Ultimashell does everything that Activewords does, and about 1000% more. In my humble opinion, this is far and away the best and most powerful automation software available. Fantastic if you spend a lot of time generating text.