Mepis ( kernel 2.6 and KDE 3.2.2 ) for Colin

Bruno

Hi Colin,This is what Quint and I have been cooking for you: MEPIS !! ( Kernel 2.6 and KDE 3.2.2, Debian based distro ) Download this ISO and burn it to CD: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/mep....05.b03.cd1.iso There is no checksum so you will have to test it by running it life :o Also because after the install we will be using The PCLos lilo we need a boot-CD for PCLos, boot into PCLos and do:

mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk

And after that rightclick the "rescue.iso" in your /home/kamicota and burn it to CD . . . then test it if it works :teehee: Let us hear how far you got . . :D . . . No lazy weekend for you Colin ! Sweat sweat sweat !! Buckets of it D :D B) Bruno

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• quint

• teacher

Top Posters In This Topic

And be very careful when you get to the bootloader. Do not install grub. Clear the box there and continue without doing that (just in case you jump the gun here!). :o Julia :teehee:

Heck Bruno B) I DID download the stable LIVE version LATE last night.BUT installing it over MDK 10 is giving me the "Willie :D " all over again.First have to burn the CD and see if it goes as smooyth as Knoppix 3.4.And FINALLY I got the MESSAGE a STABLE version of Linux alongside PCLOs just makes so much commom sense :teehee: :o By the way I also ENJOY and EXCITING weekend too Colin :D

Colin,The file I linked you to above is stable ! . . Check if you do have the right one: mepis-2004.05.b03.cd1.iso and NOT:mepis-2004.05.b04.cd1.isoB) Bruno

Bruno Here is the one I downloaded--->>> file:/home/kamicota/downloads/knoppix/mepis-2004.05.b03.cd1.isoJulia Ill get back for more clarification on the Grub instructions seems like it might be time to bur a Cd :o :D Colin :teehee:

Okay . . burn the CD Colin !!And if you are in PCLos make the rescue CD as well as long as you are there anyway ( See first post ):o Bruno

Righty Ho Bruno :teehee: Will do it as soon as the Mepis Live is ready. Is there an application in Mepis the same as PCLOs to install to hard drive hda 7.Thankz :o Julia, if I read you right there will be a check box to install grub and it needs to be unchecked if that makes any sense :D HECK I even confuse myself at times :D Colin B)

Thankz  :o  Julia, if I read you right there will be a check box to install grub and it needs to be unchecked if that makes any sense :teehee:
You got that part exactly right! Later on you will see an option to burn a boot floppy. That is what will happen. :D Slow and steady - one step at a time. Do your MD5Sum check and burn your CD and then onward and upward!Julia :

Mepis uses Lilo Colin . . so no worries :DAnd yes there is an app to install it to HD . . very easy !:teehee: BrunoPS: There is no checksum :o

Hey Julia :D Don't throw TOO many cuve balls at me at once, I'm a SLOW :D LearnerAny ways that's mepis Burned :o Now to PCLOs rescue and possibly then a try to see if Mepis Live works :teehee: Colin B)

I just KNEW things were going to smoothlyheres what I got with the rescue command and the CD does not seem to be burning or does it do it that quick[kamicota@localhost kamicota]$ mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdkbash: mkrescue: command not found[kamicota@localhost kamicota]$ suPassword:[root@localhost kamicota]# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk2880+0 records in2880+0 records outMaking filesystemmke2fs 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)/tmp/mkrescue-emu is not a block special device.Proceed anyway? (y,n) Filesystem label=OS type: LinuxBlock size=1024 (log=0)Fragment size=1024 (log=0)24 inodes, 2880 blocks144 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super userFirst data block=11 block group8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group24 inodes per groupWriting inode tables: doneWriting superblocks and filesystem accounting information: doneThis filesystem will be automatically checked every 24 mounts or180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.Mounting filesystem`/boot/diag1.img' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/diag1.img'`/boot/diag2.img' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/diag2.img'Copying files...`/boot/livecd.klt' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/lang.ktl'`/boot/initrd-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk.img' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/initrd'`/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/linux'done.Running /sbin/lilo ...Ignoring entry 'boot'Added linux *Added hard_diskAdded diagnostic_1Added diagnostic_2done.MKISOFSSize of boot image is 5760 sectors -> Emulating a 2880 kB floppyTotal translation table size: 2488Total rockridge attributes bytes: 410Total directory bytes: 0Path table size(bytes): 10Max brk space used 01624 extents written (3 Mb)END MKISOFS: output is in 'rescue.iso'The bootable CD can be burned with the 'cdrecord' utilityusing a command of the form: cdrecord [<options>] [dev=<device>] rescue.isoAll done.[root@localhost kamicota]#Colin :o

I don't get it Colin . . do you have a rescue.iso file in /home/kamicota ?:o Bruno

And after that rightclick the "rescue.iso" in your /home/kamicota and burn it to CD . . . then test it if it works :teehee:
Do this. :o

You know exactly which partition you are going to use and do not have anything on that partition? Make sure you follow Bruno's instructions down to the very last period!Julia :o

Right Colin,You boot from the Mepis CD and at the welcome screen you select with the arrow up and arrow down keys:

Boot MEPIS with 1024x768     2.6.4 kernel Engish ( Experimental )

Then press enter !At the login: the password for "demo"is "demo"Once the KDE desktop is up you see an Icon with "Mepis Install Center" . . . . . . click it and you will have to give the rootpassword: "root" . . . . . then you will see a line that says: "Install Mepis to harddrive" select it and next.Then in the right pane you see the drive: hda . . . next . . . then you have to select to install / on hda7 . . . . from there on it is easy as pie . . . . do not install a bootloader, not needed . . . . just skip that part . . . . then when ready reboot into PCLos and we will see you back here.:o Bruno

OOPS I jumped the gun again :D I'm already in MEPIS after giving it palpitations at the beginning when I :o tried to log in as kamicota Silly me :teehee: it froze the mouse B) Don't know if I like the Google start in each browser thoughColin :D

Print out my instructions and start again Colin !! . . And don't jump the gun next time :DB) Bruno