MAS Mac App Store

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

I love the MAS (Mac App Store). I would not want to be limited to downloading/buying/upgrading apps through the Mac App Store, but for those I choose to buy that way, or are required (exclusive Mac Store Apps), it is a great thing.The Mac App Store: What you need to know (Macworld)Mac App Store licensing and copy protection, explained (Macworld)Developers weigh in on the Mac App Store (Macworld)It is quite a revolution for Mac owners and a major convenience that was heretofore only available on Linux computers through Apt-Get and other ways to access the huge libraries of Linux apps. And some of the Mac Apps are free too, but some are the same price or less than their website accessible counterparts. Some apps will never be in the MAS due to the nature of the utilities and how they work into the core of the system based on Apple's License agreement for Developers.All that is just fine with me. I would not want to be 'required' to download/install/update all my apps through the MAS. Many utilities do make use of the system level to do what they do and some programs may or may not wish to be integrated into the MAS without becoming exclusive. So far, I have been very happy with the Apps I have gotten (free and paid) on the MAS.And just one more convenience item that Linux and Macs have in common that is totally missing in Windows.

• 4 weeks later...

Up to now I've been primarily using MacUpdate to find interesting apps, but I rarely download them through MU. I prefer to go to the developer's page and read about it first then download directly from there. MAS does look interesting. I'll be checking it out over the next few days.

This is one of the things I really like about Linux - each distribution has its own way of distributing software. When I see something I like, I can actually make it work in any distribution, though what's available varies from instance to instance. But it makes trying something out a simple matter - and I can use the same tool to uninstall something if I don't like it.

Guest LilBambi

I've gotten some real good deals on apps from the MAS. The have 1/2 off deals, etc. periodically which make it really worthwhile. I got Pixalmator on a deal like that when the MAS first opened.I also reinstalled free programs, like the Kindle App through the MAS so it will be kept up to date like the App Store for iTunes.I love the simplicity, but have also, like Jack looked for things under the MAS and then just downloaded direct from the developer website if there was no clear advantage to using the MAS.