• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:08 PM

It looks like Debian Buster will be released July 9. I decided to get a couple of weeks with the RC before the final comes out.
I was able to upgrade my Thinkpad install by editing my sources.list to Buster from Stretch. Then I did an apt update, apt upgrade and apt dist-upgrade.
It looks like everything went OK and I am posting from it now on the Thinkpad.
Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,619 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:05 AM

Nice :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:49 AM

I've got two Buster installations, one since late April and one done in early June. Things have been fine here. I've never updated a Debian system to the next version -- I always do a fresh install. I do have one more Stretch installation still, but I'll probably wait until the official Buster release to do anything with that one. Maybe I'll try an in-place upgrade with that one, I don't know. I really do enjoy starting over with a netinstall.

#4 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:12 PM

If you follow these instructions it should work for you.
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,756 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:40 PM

I saw the title and was wondering why they were busting Debian. ;)
Posted Image

Posted Image Support Slackware: https://paypal.me/volkerdi

#6 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:17 PM

View Postraymac46, on 23 June 2019 - 04:12 PM, said:

If you follow these instructions it should work for you.

Thanks! I've seen this page, as well: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianUpgrade

#7 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:47 AM

View Postraymac46, on 22 June 2019 - 09:08 PM, said:

It looks like Debian Buster will be released July 9. I decided to get a couple of weeks with the RC before the final comes out.
I was able to upgrade my Thinkpad install by editing my sources.list to Buster from Stretch. Then I did an apt update, apt upgrade and apt dist-upgrade.
It looks like everything went OK and I am posting from it now on the Thinkpad.

Is it really that simple?  Just completely update/upgrade your existing system; edit the sources to the next release; and dist-upgrade the entire system?  This almost qualifies as a rolling release in my book!

How many times have you done this in the past?  I've always seen suggestions to re-install from scratch for a clean start, but I've heard from others that they've continuously updated/upgraded their Debian for years without reinstallation.  I recently read where a fella claimed he has updated/upgraded his initial Debian installation for over 10+ years now with no issues.  is he exaggerating much, or just lucky as can be?  just curious...

#8 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:47 AM

I upgraded from Jessie to Stretch, and now from Stretch to Buster without incident. It works Ok if you upgrade only one release level.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users