pc 100 vs. pc133

kevin s

Dell Inspiron 8000.Need to go from 256 mb to 512 mb memMachine uses pc 100 SDRAM.Will pc 133 SDRAM work OK? I expect that it will run at 100, not 133.The 133 speed modules are half the price of the 100's on Dell's web site.

The PC133 ram should work okay... it will run at 100Mhz though... you are correct about that.It's possible you could run into issues with the different RAM, but I haven't seen it happen very often.

Not sure what Dell's prices are, but here are the prices from Crucial.These prices are for PC100:256mb = $105.99128mb = $39.99These prices are for PC133:256mb = $58.99128mb = $36.99Free 2nd day air shipping from crucial as well.Not sure why the big increase in price between 100 and 133, unless it is just a matter of 100 getting older and not being manufactured in quantities it once was.Anyway, just wanted to give you a price comparision because I know at one time Dell used to be VERY bad about over charging for its memory. Some time ago a client of mine got a 128mb stick from Dell that cost him $110. At crucial it was $48.....with free shipping.

Thanks for the help, both of you.I too checked out Crucial as well as Dell and surprisingly Dell was just a couple bucks more. Something like $63 and $113 for the 256s. I think you are right, the 100s are becoming scarce, hence the price spike.I have always been happy with Crucial, except for the lack of RDRAM (we won't go there). I think I'll go with the 133s from Crucial.

• 4 weeks later...

I suggest you go to their web site and look up your computer to seethe correct memory stick. Use the part they specify!Memory manufactures are changing component values to lower cost and it affects the interchangeability between 100 and 133 sticks.I just did a memory upgrade on a HP computer that had a 100mb bus and the 133 did not work. I had to exchange the memory sticks.Myles5

Guest ThunderRiver

Check with Crucial, and it should tell you which memory you should use.Try the 133 Mhz first unless it doesn't support it.Insprion 8100 uses 133 Mhz busInspiron 8200 uses PC2100 bus..

I just did a memory upgrade on a HP computer that had a 100mb bus andthe 133 did not work.
Same here on a Compaq EN, 133 would not work, had to be 100.

Guest ThunderRiver

Well, Gus K your system needs 100 MHz doesn't mean kevin s should use 100 Mhz also. However, according to Crucial.com, kevin should use 100 Mhz memory only. Sorry Kevin, you are out of luck with 133 Mhz. Also, the max is 512 Mb of memory, so since you have two slots, each one can go up to 256 Mb of RAM. make sure you do some BIOS upgrade before installating RAM..I am a big Dell hater.. they should never release a product that requires soo much BIOS upgrade (even for memory upgrade?) heh. If you dont' upgrade the BIOS, the system might refuse to boot, so be warned. Sincerely yours,unhappy ex-Inspiron 8100 user

Guest genaldar

pc133 used to be compatable with pc100, but not any more. Most of the pc133 on the market is high density and will only work on newer machines. Low density 133 would work fine, but it's much more expensive. Your best bet is to go to crucial and go through the process of selecting the brand and make of your computer. Then you're guaranteed that the ram will work. Otherwise you'll most likely get high density ram, which may not work.Btw the difference between high and low density is probably why pc133 didn't work for others. Personally I have all pc133 on 4 year old motherboard. But its all low density (I bought cheap high density and traded with friends who have newer computers built within the last year or 2).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest genaldar

np, just passing on what I learned while trying to get a stick of 133 to run on that motherboard. A good place to start looking for info is the message boards of the manufacturers site (if they have them). If I would've done that sooner I would've skipped going from a celeron 400 to a p3 700 to an unlocked p3 1.2ghz and gone straight to my current celeron 1.4ghz. Would've saved me quite a bit of money too, as in the month of trying all those solutions the prices of the "extra" processors I bought went down considerably (stupid ebay).

Guest ThunderRiver

Heheh what happend with Ebay? I actually have much success with ebay. For example, (though I would not recommend everyone to do it), I was desparately trying to buy 512 Mb PC2100 for my laptop, and since it has 200 pins, it is quite unique. I serached on Crucial, and it would cost about 200 dollars. So I waited for 3 months, and then, it droped down to about 150. I went on ebay and did a search, and boom! I found oen that cost about 108 dollars including shipping! I was thinking "dang what a nice deal" and yep it is still a nice deal to me. now the memory is running at 7 ns, which is quite nice ;)Ebay rocks for me though hehe

Guest genaldar

Ebay didn't do anything, it was the ebay community that annoyed me.I had a celeron 400 overclocked to 450, but it was really showing its age. So I went to abit's site and saw that a 700 mhz p3 or celeron would work. I went on ebay and put in a bid on a celeron 700. I then put in a bid on a celeron 433 that came with an adapter board since my mobo is a slot 1. Well I won the 433 (got it for like $12 with shipping, which is less than the cost of the abit slotket alone). I had also put in a bid on an asus slotket, since it was pretty cheap too (like $9 w/shipping). Sadly I lost the bid on the celeron 700. So now I had an extra processor and 2 adapters on their way in the mail. I put in a bid on a p3 700 and won (around $60+ shipping). Well I get the 700 and the asus adapter and it didn't work (the asus card wouldn't work with any chip faster than a 600 since it was an old revision).At first I thought the 700 was dead so I email the guy who sent it and there was some drama. Luckily before it became too heated of an exchange (using the asus adapter had caused the chip to smoke, in verifying what I was seeing I ran it without a fan/hs for less than 10 seconds, which is what was the point of contention, making the heated line funny...kind of). The abit adapter and the 700 worked fine. I then noticed an auction for an unlocked 1.3ghz p3. I figured I could run it at 12x 112 (max multipler and max stable fsb for my mobo). But it never ran at 1.344 ghz. It would only run at 900mhz. It would run at 1ghz if I did some fiddling everytime I booted up. I spent around $80+shipping on the unlocked chip (figured it was a good deal since it was the fastest I could probably go).I was happy with my processor but the 256 meg stick of ram I just bought only showed as 128, which made me look at the abit forums. On there, along with the info about pc133, I found links to an adapter that would allow my board to run a celeron 1.4ghz. I bought the adapter and the cpu. It worked great, I ever overclock it. Which is why I have all pc133 ram, I run at 112.Anyway, now I had an extra;celeron 400 (slot one with new fan/heatsink, I thought it would add to the resell value on ebay) & 433 (socket 370 with fan/heatsink)pentium 3 700 (socket 370 w fan/heatsink) & unlocked 1.3 (socket 370, which seemed to be an unlocked 1.2 actually)2 slot adapters (asus and abit)I sold them all on ebay. In the month since I had bought most of the stuff everything had gone down by 20+%. So I took a bath, relatively speaking. I lost somewhere near $120 once shipping was included. The worst part is that auctions for the same exact items from other people went for as much if not more than what I paid. Except of course for the unlocked chip, its not too common. And in most cases the sellers had lower ratings than I did. In some cases the cpu's didn't even included fan/hs.btw I hate buying ram on ebay. Everyone gouges on shipping. I bought 2 sticks of ram from a guy and he charged me like 13 bucks for shipping, handling and mandatory insurance. The 2 sticks were shoved into a 75 cent padded envelope and sent with 99 cents worth of postage. No insurance at all. So I email him and complain, letting him know he owes me $11 as far as I'm concerned. He emails me back and says those are standard shipping rates and blah blah blah. When I email back mentioning the insurance he charged me for he even claimed to use an independent provider. Which is amazing since it was usps. He then got upset because I left him a neutral comment, leaving me a negative comment in protest.Thus I hate ebay and only use it when I absolutely have to.rant off

Cluttermagnet
Ebay didn't do anything, it was the ebay community that annoyed me.(snip)btw I hate buying ram on ebay.  Everyone gouges on shipping.  I bought 2 sticks of ram from a guy and he charged me like 13 bucks for shipping, handling and mandatory insurance.  The 2 sticks were shoved into a 75 cent padded envelope and sent with 99 cents worth of postage.  No insurance at all.  So I email him and complain, letting him know he owes me $11 as far as I'm concerned.  He emails me back and says those are standard shipping rates and blah blah blah.  When I email back mentioning the insurance he charged me for he even claimed to use an independent provider.  Which is amazing since it was usps.  He then got upset because I left him a neutral comment, leaving me a negative comment in protest.Thus I hate ebay and only use it when I absolutely have to.rant off
Sorry you had such a bad experience on Ebay, genaldar. This definitely does happen, but is more the exception than the rule. I have traded in some other areas of Ebay but not much for computers or computer parts so far. I've done this for 3-4 years now, so I'm starting to get the hang of it. I saw an _awful_ lot of very overpriced junk in the computer categories, and I never did bid on any RAM strips, which was what I was mainly interested in. I found I could go up to my local Best Buy most weekends and get a better sale price on brand new product even after paying state sales tax. RAM was _such_ a commodity the past couple of years. The prices fell to insane lows and have pretty much stayed there. Probably anyone who lives near a large metropolitan area will have a lot of choice from the big discount stores. Those who don't will probably have to pay a little more, plus shipping.There definitely are some pretty bad shipping ripoffs on Ebay, but you need to learn right away how to _completely_ read an auction, including all the fine print. If you will take the trouble to do this, you will soon get fast at sizing up any particular auction and you can weed out the losers like the one you mentioned with the outrageous 13 dollar shipping. People like that are more the exception on Ebay, but they are to be found in each and every category of Ebay, so watch out! If a seller is not telling you up front what shipping will cost, that should set off alarm bells. Sometimes, all you have to do is email them, however, and you will find their rates are fairly reasonable. If you win an auction where no shipping was specified, they can really take you to the cleaners- and they are not wrong in the eyes of Ebay (or the law, in most cases). That being said, I have had an absolute blast on there, both buying and selling. I am one of those many honest sellers who charges only actual shipping and insurance cost and nothing more- meaning that I pack and handle for free, and would never make it as a 'real' businessman out in the 'real world'. :) It's only one of my hobbies, I guess.Those who are successful on Ebay take the time to learn all the pitfalls and cons, and also how to smell a bargain a mile away- because there are definitely some of those out there, too!