Vaping

sunrat

I posted a vaping funny last night and am interested to share experiences with other vapers and ex-vapers.

Do/did you vape to quit smoking? How much did you smoke? What vape gear and juice do you use?

I'll copy SB's comment from the other thread to kick off.

I recently quit smoking and took up vaping instead.

Nice. I smoked a pack a day for 22 years and vaped for 4 afterwards. Just slowly lower your nicotine levels and you can wean yourself off of vaping as well.

Back when I was vaping, I was mixing my own juice and wrapping my own coils. Sub-ohming as well..

I smoked for over 40 years, usually only 5-10 per day, never a pack, and mostly roll-your-own. I got my first vape about 15 months ago but it took a while to totally replace the cigs. There is such a vast amount of gear and juice flavours available, as well as different vape styles, it can take a while to find your sweet spot.

I started with an inexpensive starter kit which didn't exactly gain my love. A bit more research and I decided I'd prefer MTL (mouth-to-lung), which is similar to how cigs are smoked, over DTL (direct-to-lung) which is how fanatical vapers make those massive clouds. After trying a couple more setups, I now use an Eleaf iStick Pico25 mod (the battery bit) with a VandyVape Berserker MTL RTA tank. This is a RTA (rebuildable tank atomiser) for which you build your own coils.

I also have a Vaptio Cosmo which is an inexpensive starter kit but surprisingly good. It's nice to have a choice of which flavours you feel like puffing each time. :)

Not mixing my own juice yet but it's on the cards. My favourite juices currently are fruity ones -

Antivenom by 5150 - mango and pineapple with a hint of mint

Truth by Propaganda - strawberry lemonade

I know most of the regulars here are too smart to smoke, but if you do and are considering vaping to help quit, just do it! :thumbsup: B)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I've never vaped. I still smoke. I smoked Marlboro Reds for about 35 years or so; at times, three packs a day. I quit once for 2 years, once for 5, and the most recent... nine years. In spring of 2016, I was sitting on my front porch enjoying a cup of coffee and watching the first of the spring showers in Tampa. It was pleasant. I thought to myself, "D@mn, a smoke sure would be good right now." When the rain slacked off to a sprinkle, I rode by bicycle to the local convenient store and bought a pack of Marlboro. After smoking a few, I realized that I couldn't smoke those "big boy" cigs anymore. I gave the pack to my neighbor.

The mistake was going out the next morning and buying another pack; this time Marlboro Lights. The rest is history. I now smoke a el cheapo brand of cigs due to funding shortages, but I'm still smoking. I'll quit again one day. I don't have trouble quitting. I do it cold turkey every time. It's easy for me. I just have to WANT to quit first. That's the trick.

• Like 1

Lots of pictures of previous setups that I just uploaded: https://imgur.com/a/xQ0RMti

You gathered quite a collection of gear! Vaping would be orders of magnitude cheaper than cigs if you just settle on a couple of tanks/mods/kits and a small selection of juices. But I find I'm always tempted to try a different tank and some new flavours. I've probably only spent a quarter of what I would have on cigs anyway. Cigs and tobacco are frightfully expensive in Australia though so it's almost a no-brainer.

@Eric it's worth trying. Get an inexpensive starter kit like my Vaptio Cosmo and a few small bottles of juice of different flavours (maybe start at 12mg nicotine) and see how it goes. I started out with a few vape puffs a day between cigarettes, moved to an occasional cig between vapes, and ended up just not wanting cigs. I notice how they smell bad, how my mouth and breath are cleaner, how my senses of taste and smell have returned and how I'm less out of breath when active. Win-win!

• Like 1

securitybreach

Well you should never buy the original ones as the clones are like an eighth of the price. Most of the mods that I had were less than $40-50 a piece. I threw all the gear away years ago though.

V.T. Eric Layton

@Eric it's worth trying...

Nah... if I'm going to smoke, I'm going to smoke the real cigs. If I ever did start vaping, though, it wouldn't be tobacco. ;)

• Like 1

FWIW I use to smoke, years ago. 4 packs a day. When I quit what worked for me was bitter lemon drops. And that went on for a couple of yrs. And the smell of people smoking was like smelling a barbaque for a decade or two. It takes time to quit.