VirtualBox, youtube tutorial was a big help

wa4chq

Greetings all..... I haven't had that much experience using Virtual Box. The first time was maybe 10 years ago. I instalIed VB and an iso I had saved in my download directory for a test. With some googling I found enough info to get the iso "installed" and booted. Last year I played around with it more, again using intalled iso's. I never felt comfortable trying something that required "virtual partitioning". OK, I was scared :( ....I didn't want to mess up the real hard drive. >_< Anyway, I thought I'd give it a go. I installed VB on MX-17 and put my new Slack14.2 disk in and using a really good youtube video

as my guide, I started the "install". Setting up VB for partitioning a virtual HD turned out to be really easy. After that I was in familiar territory. I normally don't do a full Slack install ie: no KDE or emacs, maybe something else but I did the full install in VB.... Worked like magic. I'll have to do more research to see what all I can do using Virtual Box. Anyway, this is how I spent my morning.

securitybreach

BTW, virtual partitioning is just that...virtual. You allot a certain size to the VM and it cannot see anything outside the allocated space. It then treats the allocated space as a virtual hardrive. The VM cannot see outside its own virtual harddrive.

• Like 1

On a slightly related note I recently tried KVM/QEMU after it was lauded by securitybreach. It was quite easy to set up with virt-manager although I made one basic mistake and put the 6GB VM on my OS partition which had only 6GB free. You can guess what happened. After starting again and putting the VM on the drive I actually meant it to go on, it worked extremely well. I was particularly enamoured with not having to mess with guest additions to get functions like full screen display and shared folders to work.

I don't think I'll be using VirtualBox again.

• Like 2

securitybreach

On a slightly related note I recently tried KVM/QEMU after it was lauded by securitybreach. It was quite easy to set up with virt-manager although I made one basic mistake and put the 6GB VM on my OS partition which had only 6GB free. You can guess what happened. After starting again and putting the VM on the drive I actually meant it to go on, it worked extremely well. I was particularly enamoured with not having to mess with guest additions to get functions like full screen display and shared folders to work.

Excellent, I'll a big fan of it as well.

• Like 1

BTW, virtual partitioning is just that...virtual. You allot a certain size to the VM and it cannot see anything outside the allocated space. It then treats the allocated space as a virtual hardrive. The VM cannot see outside its own virtual harddrive.

Yes, in the back of my mind I knew partitioning in VB was virtual, but still....... lol
  • Like 1

securitybreach

Yes, in the back of my mind I knew partitioning in VB was virtual, but still....... lol

:)

I did try KVM/QEMU...maybe last year? I remember hearing about it here. I got it to work but I did have some problems.... lol, who would have thought! I had better luck out of the box with VB. But I'll give it another go.

securitybreach

I did try KVM/QEMU...maybe last year? I remember hearing about it here. I got it to work but I did have some problems.... lol, who would have thought! I had better luck out of the box with VB. But I'll give it another go.

Well by itself KVM/QEMU is difficult to configure but virt-manager makes it as easy as virtualbox but without the needs for "extras" to get functionality.

• Like 1

Well by itself KVM/QEMU is difficult to configure but virt-manager makes it as easy as virtualbox but without the needs for "extras" to get functionality.

Yes, I remember you mentioning virt-manager when I was checking into KVM/QEMU. A few seconds ago I finished grabbing some things I had saved on my old HD. Some of those things were iso's that I had saved when I was trying virt-manager. Let me see if I can find package for it....

OK...installed qemu/kvm and virt-manager but get an error when running virt-manager. It has something to do with libvirt.

Unable to connect to libvirt.

Verify that the 'libvirtd' daemon is running.

Libvirt URI is: qemu:///system

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 904, in _do_open

self._backend.open(self._do_creds_password)

File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtinst/connection.py", line 148, in open

open_flags)

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/libvirt.py", line 105, in openAuth

if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virConnectOpenAuth() failed')

libvirtError: Failed to connect socket to '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory

I went to a youtube and found a vid where the fellow shows how to install using the cli. Pausing it, I looked to see what he was installing taking special note at the libraries.....but I could not find things similar in the repositories used with LX-17. I think I'll just settle for using VB while using MX-17. It's not like I use it a lot...but it's nice to have. Thanks sunrat and SB for the input above ^^^

securitybreach

OK...installed qemu/kvm and virt-manager but get an error when running virt-manager. It has something to do with libvirt.

open_flags)

libvirtError: Failed to connect socket to '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory

I went to a youtube and found a vid where the fellow shows how to install using the cli. Pausing it, I looked to see what he was installing taking special note at the libraries.....but I could not find things similar in the repositories used with LX-17. I think I'll just settle for using VB while using MX-17. It's not like I use it a lot...but it's nice to have. Thanks sunrat and SB for the input above ^^^

You need to start the daemon as noted:

systemctl start libvirtd && systemctl start virtlogd && systemctl enable libvirtd

There is no need to enable virtlogd.service, since libvirtd.service, when enabled, also enables the virtlogd.socket and virtlockd.socket.

• Like 1

open_flags)

You need to start the daemon as noted:

systemctl start libvirtd && systemctl start virtlogd && systemctl enable libvirtd

There is no need to enable virtlogd.service, since libvirtd.service, when enabled, also enables the virtlogd.socket and virtlockd.socket.

OK SB...will give it a try later on today. Tnx

OK.... gave

at try and got

Failed to start libvirtd.service: Unknown unit: libvirtd.service

lol..... Maybe it's not meant to be....

securitybreach

OK.... gave

at try and got

Well Slackware is different: https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:general_admin:kvm_libvirt

Slackware doesn't use systemd so the directions would be different for init.

• Like 1

OK.... gave

at try and got

Well Slackware is different: https://docs.slackwa...min:kvm_libvirt

Slackware doesn't use systemd so the directions would be different for init.

When I was using it last year (not sure if 2018 or 2017) I was using Slack and it worked.

...but now I'm trying to use it with MX-17. I'm fine using VB. Tnx just the same.

Edited by wa4chq

Well ok, I'm surprised that you give up so easy .. ;)

lol....I don't know if you recall my recent hosing of Slackware.....problems with permissions....lol.....Have just recently install a new HD and new OS....tricked out to boot....maybe I should load MX-17 in VB and try from there!

MX doesn't use systemd as init, although it can if you select it at GRUB menu. This would probably be the issue with a service not starting. Also I did a little searching on this and there are several solutions to what appears to be several possible issues. One other one is that the convention of putting early runtime files in /var/run/ has changed to using /run/ instead. Maybe it just needs a symlink.

If I get a chance I may try virt-manager on MX soon. This sounds like a school homework problem that needs to be solved! ;)

• Like 1

I am reading this thread with interest, but I'm probably going to stick with VirtualBox. My main interest in VMs is to run a Linux instance on Windows 10 and VBox works pretty well in Windows.

I haven't had many problems with the Guest Additions lately as most mainstream distros are baking the utils into the kernel now. I haven't tried MX Linux in VBox though since I have it on the rails on an old laptop and desktop.

I decided to archive my VBox installs of Sparky and Ubuntu to save some disk space, and I am just running Mageia on Windows as my Linux go-to distro.

securitybreach

I am reading this thread with interest, but I'm probably going to stick with VirtualBox. My main interest in VMs is to run a Linux instance on Windows 10 and VBox works pretty well in Windows.

I haven't had many problems with the Guest Additions lately as most mainstream distros are baking the utils into the kernel now. I haven't tried MX Linux in VBox though since I have it on the rails on an old laptop and desktop.

I decided to archive my VBox installs of Sparky and Ubuntu to save some disk space, and I am just running Mageia on Windows as my Linux go-to distro.

Well KVM only works on linux so your only other option would be vmware.

You're doing it backwards Ray. You don't run a solid & stable guest on top of a quirky & buggy host. You run the quirky & buggy OS as a guest on your reliably solid & stable host! :devil:

• Like 2

securitybreach

You're doing it backwards Ray. You don't run a solid & stable guest on top of a quirky & buggy host. You run the quirky & buggy OS as a guest on your reliably solid & stable host! :devil:

Correct. Windows should never live outside of a VM.

• Like 1

I have one machine which I use for Windows 10 train sims and I like to take a break from Windows so I have Linux in a VM there. Can't run the other way because games are lousy in VBox (graphics suck.)

I have an instance of Windows in my Linux VBox but never use it.