slackware store???

wa4chq

Greetings all.... I headed over to slackware.com hoping to do a little shopping.....but there isn't anyone home! I remember months ago reading here about the problems Patrick was having.....have they stopped selling things?

I'm using 14.1 and have disks for it. I was thinking about going to 14.2.....any thoughts?

...besides just to install, get it the way you like and QUIT MESSING WITH IT!!! LOL

Edited by wa4chq
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I'm running 14.1, also. When I first built this system a couple years back, I did install 14.2 for a few minutes. I was reluctant to do so because of some of the major changes in 14.2 that I didn't like; namely, the audio system being changed from ALSA to PulseAudio. I wasn't happy with PulseAudio from the get-go, so I wiped 14.2 and installed 14.1 again. I've kept it up-to-date and all, but am currently having some Firefox issues (minor stuff) and, as mentioned elsewhere, I cannot compile/use Chromium at all in 14.1 because of conflicting gcc builds. Also, 14.1 really only gets security updates at this point, so newer versions of software are not coming down the line for 14.1.

Coincidentally, before even seeing this post, I was sitting here thinking this AM that I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and install 14.2. I was kinda' hoping 15 would come out soon, but Pat V. hasn't completed prepping that version yet, so it may be a bit longer to wait on that one. I may still wait. We'll see. I really don't want to do an install right now. The day or so worth of work sitting at this desk to get a new install set up and debugged doesn't turn me on much.

And about getting it the way you want it and not messing with it... well, my tweak/break/repair daze are pretty much over with. The last few years, I've just been happy for the system to work when I power it up in the morning. 14.1 is getting a bit gray around the edges, though. My problem is that I'd hate to go through all the trouble of installing 14.2 and setting it all up just to have 15 pop out in a few months. I'm tempted to just wait for 15 and hassle with it then.

• Like 1

Well, I'm running 14.1, also. When I first built this system a couple years back, I did install 14.2 for a few minutes. I was reluctant to do so because of some of the major changes in 14.2 that I didn't like; namely, the audio system being changed from ALSA to PulseAudio. I wasn't happy with PulseAudio from the get-go, so I wiped 14.2 and installed 14.1 again. I've kept it up-to-date and all, but am currently having some Firefox issues (minor stuff) and, as mentioned elsewhere, I cannot compile/use Chromium at all in 14.1 because of conflicting gcc builds. Also, 14.1 really only gets security updates at this point, so newer versions of software are not coming down the line for 14.1.

Coincidentally, before even seeing this post, I was sitting here thinking this AM that I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and install 14.2. I was kinda' hoping 15 would come out soon, but Pat V. hasn't completed prepping that version yet, so it may be a bit longer to wait on that one. I may still wait. We'll see. I really don't want to do an install right now. The day or so worth of work sitting at this desk to get a new install set up and debugged doesn't turn me on much.

And about getting it the way you want it and not messing with it... well, my tweak/break/repair daze are pretty much over with. The last few years, I've just been happy for the system to work when I power it up in the morning. 14.1 is getting a bit gray around the edges, though. My problem is that I'd hate to go through all the trouble of installing 14.2 and setting it all up just to have 15 pop out in a few months. I'm tempted to just wait for 15 and hassle with it then.

If only I could be happy with just booting up and using it....but there are things that I have to have that aren't included.....and that's where it should end.....all would be fine....but no, I gotta start the serious tricking out.....lol.....

Edited by wa4chq
  • Like 1