WGA Is there a reason to update every month?

jolphil

Hi All,Yes, I know the reason for WGA(windows genuine advantage) and their(MS) need to stamp put piracy..BUT.... Do they have to update this every month after month? It seems to me that if you have been running a legal computer for years, and have not changed anything there is no need to pester legal versions of Windows constantly..I am beginning to find this intrusive and very offensive..I understand their need, but I find this extreme overkill..How do the rest of you feel about this?Maybe they are pushing people away to Mac and Linux causing more revenue loss than they save..It makes no sense to me..The Rant is over but I would like to find out if others are bothered by this and also,What if:I opted out not to install anymore WGS"S :( Thank you for the read..Happy computing..Jolphil

NICK ADSL UK

hi jolphil :( The reason for these types of WGA(windows genuine advantage)updates are to make sure that they are working as they should be alongside all of the other updates that are released on a monthly basis. I myself only get these types of update very infrequently so i am completely untroubled by them just like the majority of people worldwide have there setting set on automatic. In this way your system should work very transparently as intended by design. There are however people who like to choose what updates they need to install but that is only satisfactory if they have the necessary computer skills to make those sort of judgment's especially where security is concerned

NICK ADSL UK sums up pretty well what the situation is with WGA checks. However, you can choose what downloads you want when WU notifies you, by going to a 'Notify me' choice in the Automatic Updates applet in control panel. If your system is legit, you don't need this separate install. I got this offered as well in the last month, and did not download it for this reason. I'll agree that it's a nuisance. :(

I've pretty much given up on updates, as was mentioned many don't often apply to my rig and often can cause some problems. The only ones I get now are those that are deemed very critical and get the big press in various newsletters and online.

Hello,If Windows Genuine Advantage is like any other program, then I would imagine the updates which are released for it are to improve stability, fix coding errors and other routine changes required for a program to run successfully on hundreds of millions of computers. Like NICK ADSL UK, I have not had any major issues, other than having to update to a new build of the WGA software every once in a while.As Guitar Man noted, you can enable Automatic Updates in Microsoft Windows XP. This lets the operating system automatically download (and optionally install) any updates classified as High Priority by Microsoft, and works even if Windows XP has not passed a WGA check. High priority fixes tend to fix security issues and the like. Less critical fixes still have to be downloaded from a computer which has passed a WGA check.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

:lol: wga! :P yuck. updates & me - high priority - always. :( they keep your pc safe. the biggest security hole/threat today is an unpatched pc - not worms, virus, etc (av software is really great these days...)software - almost never. <_< it offers stuff like win media player 11 or 12, windows search 4, windows power shell, silver light; but ms office - i do keep updated. hardware - never. B) who on the earth told microsoft they had a clue about drivers?? :o yikes! udder insanity! moo.what do y'all do with updates??
I do about the same as you. I never install hardware drivers from MS. Seldom install optional software. I have auto-update disabled, wait for about a week after update Tuesday and then D/L and install the critical updates.

Thank you responders..There seems to be different camps..I tend to lean into the "only install critical" update camp formy box..I do however from sheer laziness throw the "Auto-Updates" on my wife's box though...She goes to some "funky " sites and all those "joke" sites too..(Hope she does not read this)..Hehehe B) Thanks again,jolphil

No auto windows updates on any of our computers!I have my husband's computer set up for AVG auto and Malwarebytes auto (paid version) so I don't have to check his computer so often.Years ago, I made the mistake of using a windows suggested harware update. It broke my internet connection (the NIC didn't work). That's when I learned about rolling back drivers. Thinking I made a mistake, I did it again with the same disastrous results. Never again!

Years ago, I made the mistake of using a windows suggested harware update. It broke my internet connection (the NIC didn't work). That's when I learned about rolling back drivers. Thinking I made a mistake, I did it again with the same disastrous results. Never again!
Interesting...I never had that happen here but there's always a first time for everything..Maybe I should "sneak" over to my wife's box and reset it while she's out shopping.. B) Thanks for the input,jolphil B)

jolphil, if you change your wife's computer, you'll just be giving yourself more headaches. B) Anything I decide to put on my husband's computer, I test first on one of mine. That way I can warn him about popups and weird update features. He is very good about not clicking on anything that pops up. This are usually firewall popups and not on web pages.

jolphil, if you change your wife's computer, you'll just be giving yourself more headaches. B) Anything I decide to put on my husband's computer, I test first on one of mine. That way I can warn him about popups and weird update features. He is very good about not clicking on anything that pops up. This are usually firewall popups and not on web pages.
Amen
more headaches
"More" is the key word here.. B) Thanks again,jolphil