flashing Explorer

joevangent

Hi Scott,Have an interesting problem that maybe you or one of your readers has experienced.I run a dual boot system with Windows 98SE/XP Pro SP1on a 1,3Gb AMD base with 512KB Ram.Recently I noticed a strange problem in XP when opening Windows Explorer. It opens up fine, but as soon as you click on the "My Computer" icon , both windows start "flashing" almost as if the screen is being continually refreshed. The icons repreenting the drives change from a HDD icon to a Folder icon with each "refresh". I have tried to trace this back to a "point in time" to see if it was not some software installation which caused it, but no luck. Have also tried via the Task Manager to terminate background programs one by one to see if any one of them makes a difference - No Luck!!In desperation, I phoned the local Microsoft Help Desk, only to be informed that they would not help me because they didn't support Dual boot systems!! (EVEN IF BOTH OS's ARE LICENCED AND LEGAL M.S. SYSTEMS????) BTW Have not changed or added any new hardware recently either. Regards Joe van GentPC@HOMEwww.pc-at-home.co.zaTraining, Repairs and UpgradesPhone/Fax 0215581415Cell 082 579 0064

Hi. Sticky problem.It sounds like the problem that occurs when you have a system file upgrade of some sort that's incompatible. I've seen these sorts of behaviors after installing betas of IE, Office, so forth. If your multiple boot is installed all one partition, both OSes on one partition, then I have to tell you that I never recommend this with Windows, no matter what people tell you who do it. It's a bad idea.Your best bet is to trace back what you've installed recently. Under XP, you have the system recovery tool. You might want to try using it.Also, check the Microsoft Knowledgebase:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspxToo bad Microsoft has found yet another way to get out of supporting its customers, even though setting up dual boot capability is BUILT IN to it's NT, 2000, and XP OSes, and that facility supports 95, 98, and ME, so long as there's only one 9x/Me OS installed and it's installed before NT, 2K, or XP. I'm hope something I've written helps.-- Scot