The dreaded internet/modem question

Webb

You knew it was coming. I could never connect with Knoppix, either, so I didn't expect Mepis to be any easier.I have a network interface card with an Alcatel Speed Touch Home modem (DSL). Everything I have read tells me that this should be compatible with Linux. I have my DNS address, username and password from my ISP. Everything should be ready to set up.Software is Mepis with KDE 3.1.My PPOE utility detects the card (eth0) and an access concentrator (whatever that it). It then asks me for my username and password and makes a few recommendations but it never asks me for a DNS address or a domain name. Naturally, I don't get a connection.Plog tells me that authentication failed.How do I get this little sucker connected?

The page looks good but all the links are dead. I have these files (extensions omitted) on cd:dhcpdhcp-clientdhcp-client-udebdhcp-relaydhcp-dnsI'm thinking dhcp-client?

Hi JimI was thinking DHCP deamon . . but that is not in your listing . . and it really should already be installed anyway.Try:# netconfigTo configure your networkcard and after that:# ifconfig eth0 up ( will put your connection up ) ( ifconfig eth0 down to kill it )If all went well:# netstat -i ( will show you the ¨eth0¨ and ¨lo¨ )Now try to ping a well-known host like your ISP# ping www.internethost.com you should be able to see traffic there and your connection is O.K.:thumbsup: Bruno

I knew you were going to ask and I thought of including it in the message. I was definitely root.I found another file called resolv.conf that looks like it's filled with dummy information:nameserver 192.168.0.1Would putting a real name and DNS number in there help?

Yep it could help . . . but not with the DNS numbers, have a look at mine:[bruno:~]$ cat /etc/resolv.confsearch lan localnameserver 127.0.0.1nameserver 10.0.0.138B) BrunoPS: Have an Alcatel too :thumbsup:

That just gives me a "Could not connect" error.Another thing I fiind strange is that plog tells me that authentication failed in less than 1 second. Windows takes at least 10 seconds to authenticate.

Try this: click on the desktop icon "Mepis Configuration Center" > give root password > click on "Network" (left side panel) > click "start eth0" (right side panel); that is all that I had to do.

Quint's suggestion certainly looks like it should work. It even shows the correct DNS address. But it doesn't connect Mozilla or Konqueror. The card is and SMC 1244TX. I'll have to check on compatibility. I think there was a list in your mini-tutes.The problem with 10.0.0.138 may have been with Konqueror. It wants to add www. in front of everything.

Google/linux shows me this on the SMC 1244TX:

Thanks for the warning. That's kind of what I figured, a totally Win piece ofhardware. Like a soft modem.
:thumbsup: :teehee: Bruno

I know you don't want to give up. However, some distros just don't seem to like some ISPs. I don't know why. There have been 2 or 3 that I have tried that just would not work for me. Mandrake is always stable and works like a charm though. :thumbsup:

Are we agreed that it's a driver problem? SMC's solution doesn't look very pretty.

******************************************************************************                        SMC Networks, Inc.                              **                    SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1244TX V2)                      **                      Driver Installation for LINUX                        **                                                                        **                Copyright © 2002 SMC Networks, Inc.                **                            All Rights Reserved.                        ******************************************************************************A. Get source Code and produce a binary code=============================================Step 1 : Get the source code from the following site;        http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.htmlStep 2 : Build compiler environment on your Linux system.Step 3 : Compile source code to produce a binary code (tulip.o).B. Installation guide using Slackware 3.XX==========================================Step 1 : Copy tulip.o into the latest kernel's modules:      cp tulip.o /lib/modules/2.0.XX/net/tulip.o      Where the XX is the version number of the latest kernel.Step 2 : Modify /etc/rc.d/rc.modules:      Unmark the line /sbin/modprobe  tulipStep 3 : Reboot system:      rebootStep 4 : when system boots, the driver will be load.Step 5 : run netconfig to setup TCP/IP      (run 'ifconfig' or 'netstat -i' to see if there is a      interface 'eth0')C. Installation guide using Redhat 5.XX=======================================Step 1 : Copy tulip.o into the latest kernel's modules:      cp tulip.o /lib/modules/2.0.XX/net/tulip.o      Where the XX is the version number of the latest kernel.Step 2 : Update kernel's module dependencies:      /sbin/depmod -aStep 3 : Check /etc/conf.modules:      alias eth0 tulip      options tulip options=X debug=XStep 4 : Valid media types selections for options=X are:      0 Auto-select (default to the 10baseT link)      1 10base2      2 AUI      3 100baseTx      4 10baseT-FD      5 100baseTx-FD      6 100baseT4      7 100baseFx      8 100baseFx-FD      9 MII 10baseT        10 MII 10baseT-FD        11 MII (autoselect)        12 10baseT (no autoselect), v0.69 and later only        13 MII 100baseTx        14 MII 100baseTx-FD        15 MII 100baseT4Step 5 : Valid debug levels for debug=X are:      1 normal output      2 more verbose      3 even more verbose      4 even more verbose      6 insanely verboseStep 6 : Reboot system:      /sbin/shutdown -r nowStep 7 : when system boots, the driver will be load.Step 8 : run netconfig to setup TCP/IP      (run 'ifconfig' or 'netstat -i' to see if there is a interface      'eth0')D. Installation guide using TurboLinux 6.0==========================================Step 1 : recompile tulip.c      note: Add a parameter '-V2.7.2.3' after gcc.            Please reference goturbo.Step 2 : other installation steps is the same as Slackware 3.XXStep 3 : Modify /etc/modules.conf      add the line alias eth0 tulipStep 4 : other network configuration, please use turbonetcfg.
I could probably download and install Mandrake faster than I can figure this out.

Are you certain you don't have the tulip driver on your computer? What is the output lsmod? What about locate tulip.o or find /lib/modules -iname tulip.o (you may need to be root).tranquilo

lsmod should tell you whether it's currently loaded, and it should be loaded on boot if it's in your /etc/modules file. You can also check /var/log/dmesg and see if the tulip driver is listed./sbin/lsmodcat /etc/modulescat /var/log/dmesg | grep -i tulipIf it's not currently loaded, you can try insmod/sbin/insmod tulipand try restarting the network. You can use /etc/init.d/networking restart (or { start | stop | restart | force-reload } can be used) to restart the network, but I don't know if anything additional needs to be done when using pppoe.hthtranquilo

Mandrake is one of the easiest because it has such a comprehensive hardware list. It is my primary OS. I keep others like Slack and Mepis to play around with but Mandrake always works like a charm. If I spend more than an hour trying to det a distro to load properly then I usually move on. There are just too many out there to waste time on one that just doesn't get along with your hardware.