passwords

georgeg4

Hi Is there a way I can configure my RH9 install to boot and run without passwords I am the only user on this computer and I would rather not use them .

Sure George, just don´t fill in a password and ignore all the warnings at install !Or if your system is already installed look if you have a ¨login manager¨ and if it allows you to do a password-less login, Mandrake has that possebillity, sure it must be possible in Red Hat.:lol: Bruno

Thanks again bruno In RH it is in the preferences in the login manager . But I cant seem to get rid of the root password though but thats no problem I only have to enter it once in each session .

Glad you could find iot and solve this little problem, it is so much easier to autologin if you´re the only user.There is a trick for the rootpassword, see The Tips ¨Lost Root password¨ ( skip giving a new password at the end ) I think it´s on page 9. But if I were you I would not bother. Typing your root password twice a year would not cause any major wear on your fingers. B) :DB) Bruno

Guest ThunderRiver

Don't get rid of root password. It is a very very bad idea unless you turn off the sshd.If you turn off the root pass without turning sshd in the first place, you are opening your door to outsider..and they will have absolutely 100% control over your system. I personally don't think it is a good idea to have a password-less acount either. That password is what keeps Linux away from danger.. why do you think you don't need Antivirus in Linux for the most part?ThunderRiver

Guest ThunderRiver

Well, I suppose you know him the best because I didn't see him saying "I am not connected to the Internet.."

ThunderRiver I do not think that computer is connected to the internet ! He has a software modem and problems connecting it !B) Bruno

Thats true bruno but I do intend somehow to connect in linux and when I do you better believe I will have some kind of AV program as well as a firewall . Won't leave /home without it . And thanks for the advice Thunder River I will keep my root password rather than take any chances . Like bruno said it won't wear out any fingers typing it in .The user password is what bothered me the most only because I am the only user here .

By the way I just happened to think earlier maybe some of my problems with my modem is from too many packages installed . Is it possible ? when I installed RH I installed the complete compliment of packages including servers and all . Should I uninstall some of them and if so which ones .

Guest ThunderRiver

It is possible that if you install "everything" you might break things, but not that I know of with Modem. Modem has more to do with driver, and if the driver fits, software should not be a big probelm

George,I think the easiest way for you to get rid of all that extra software you don´t need is a carefully planned new install. Now that you know more about Linux a new install will be flawless, and chosing the packages more based on your real needs.Having server software on your computer is not really harmfull, but has no real use if you are on dial-up.You could also leave it as it is, if those extra packages do not take too much space ( if your harddisk is large enough ).Your ( future ) modem connection won´t be hindered by it anyway.Hope you get that modem running, did you get any news from Imranj ? It did look like he was the one that could help you with your modem.;) Bruno