Google Nexus 7 to get Skype?

macdunn

Okay, with the Google Nexus 7 coming on the market with WiFi and NO cellphone capability (I do not need cellphone functionality in a tablet, I hope, though I have it in a used iPad [1] (with no service)), I need to bring up a question I asked last year --

Background - in fall or winter 2011, Anroid was made available of PCs/laptops, one of which is compatible is my Asus eeePPC laptop. I have no smartphones or other Android devices and I want[ed] to try out Android, at least with my most necessary apps - Skype and Kindle for Android. I found that at the Android Store, you have to have cellphone service on your device to be able to download and install Skype! I was not able, therefore, to try Skype for Android on my eeePC. (Just for testing with Android, of course, I have Skype for Windows and Skype for iPad.)

So, my question now is - since the Nexus 7 has no cellphone capability, how will one be able to download and install Skype on Google's Nexus 7? I checked the Android Store this AM and service with a cellphone provider is still required to download.

I do not see Skype as one of the pre-installed apps in the information I have found on the Web, though that seems to be limited so far.

TIA,

macdunn

I suspect the only way to get this fixed is to go to Skype directly and ask for it. I don't think you are the only one with this issue. The more people complain, the quicker it gets fixed. I don't think Google controls this part of the app.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks. Unfortunately, in 2011 when I first looked for Skype for Android, I did start at the Skype downloads and they linked to...Android Store, as does Skype for iPad [etc] to iTunes.

IMHO, with Apple, seldom has the public voice held value when it comes to controlling apps (probably a good thing, and they do not restrict the downloading of Skype for iPad [etc]). Maybe Google has a different character in this area. But, I think that the situation is actually controlled by...the telecoms.

Best,

macdunn

I suspect the only way to get this fixed is to go to Skype directly and ask for it. I don't think you are the only one with this issue. The more people complain, the quicker it gets fixed. I don't think Google controls this part of the app.

Adam

Edited by macdunn

I am not sure that it is the case with the telecom companies. What would they have to gain from only allowing Skype on phones? I can get Skype on an iPod Touch or iPad no problem if I choose.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Right, I have Skype on my iPad without phone service.

So, why (rhetorical question) is Skype for Android only available when you have phone service?

Has anyone out there bought a different brand of tablet, ie. Samsung, Asus, with Android OS and been able to download/install Skype without phone service?

TIA,

macdunn

http://www.informati.../voip/212701701

The above article supplies a couple clues as to the reason why......

The service may be useful for mobile users who make international calls often, as Skype's prices are often

less than what a wireless carrier charges. The cost will be deducted from a user's Skype Credit account, but Skype-to-Skype calls won't cost anything besides the local airtime minutes.

Adam

I would like to mention that the search I did popped up a a hit from here... your original thread trying to get Skype on your netbook. ;)

Adam

securitybreach

All you have to do is open the Market (Play Store) and install Skype. It works fine on all of my Android devices including my HP Touchpad which does not have a cell radio. If you do not have a front facing camera, you can still make skype voice calls using the app.

https://play.google....om.skype.raider