Reporting intrusion attempts

Sped09

Do most people here report intrusion attempts to MyNetWatchman or to DShield? Does it do any good? After visiting my favorite travel message board, I receive many intrusion attempts, have to log in to read posts or post. Should I be suspicious of the board administrator, or could this be coincidence? The attempts come from all over the world, not the same server, but don't usually begin until I log on to this board. Thanks for any info.

As far as the effectiveness of reporting, it really depends on the ISP. Some ISP's will give a warning on the first complaint and then yank peoples accounts if any other port scanning/intrusion attempts are reported. But like I said, it really varies from ISP to ISP on how they handle these situations.I am really not sure on the second half of your post. Could be coincidence, may not be. I do not really have enough info to give a good answer......not that this answer was any good. :(

LOL I know someone that got a personal phone call from their ISP for using packet sniffing software on the web. They contacted him within hours of him doing it to. Gave him the choice to stop using them or go bye bye.Only time I would report someone is if they were doing harm to others

Well, good grief.....do you mean I can be considered a hacker if I try to backtrace an intrusion attempt on my computer? I downloaded ID Serve from Steve Gibson's site, and if not too busy, will try to backtrace using that utility. Or, I can use the one on D Shield's site. But, I assume I would be hacking only if I included the other computer's port in the backtrace, the one he was using when trying to hack me????

I am a MyNetWatchman "agent" :ph34r: , and I have found that most of my intrusion attempts have been noted. However, when I have more information on an intrusion, I will either use the report board, or I will email (when I am lacking enough specifics to "bust" the intruder).I am not tracing because it makes my ISP very nervous. They didn't say "Stop that", but they did ask why I wanted to give a bunch of nice people prematurely grey hair.As to your question about the site, I think the best answer is to contact that webmaster with the information, (including any hard evidence, if you have it). He may or may not be hosting his own site, and if he is on somebody else's server, he may have to have a talk with them.As I have said before on this Forum, I strongly believe that we should do everything that we can to participate in the security of our ISPs, and the net in general. Some can do less than others (I am not very "technical"), but just being an MNW agent, et al, is something.