Shared birthdays

Eric Legge

Eric Legge

Greetings all,I have created an astrology research site called: "Shared Birthday: An interactive site devoted to finding out if the claims made by astrology have any validity whatsoever."I need volunteers to fill in the *completely anonymous* submission form on the site. It's designed to provide me with the information I need to find out if people who share a birthday have as much in common with one another as astrology claims they do.Each day of the year will have one page or more devoted to it, showing the submitted information in a comparative way.If you make a submission, please don't make any fictitious entries, because the objective is to find out what the truth is in this matter.http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/Regards,Eric

littlebone

As to astrology:I always liked James Randi's demo to a high school class. He collected birthdays and after a day or two he handed each person their personal chart with a description of their personalities. Everyone was amazed at how accurate the readings were. But each person in the class, regardless of birthdate, had been given the same text. It was general enough to fit everyone who read it.Real Media extract of Nova ShowOh, by the way. On that same birthday thing. My favorite shared birthday: Richard Nixon and Joan Baez.

Cluttermagnet
As to astrology:I always liked James Randi's demo to a high school class. He collected birthdays and after a day or two he handed each person their personal chart with a description of their personalities. Everyone was amazed at how accurate the readings were.  But each person in the class, regardless of birthdate, had been given the same text. It was general enough to fit everyone who read it.Real Media extract of Nova ShowOh, by the way. On that same birthday thing. My favorite shared birthday: Richard Nixon and Joan Baez.
LOL!Did you know that Ghandi shares an astrological birth month with Nixon? :D You can stack the data any way you please. Pairing Ghandi with Joan Baez puts a whole different spin on it, eh? :D"Next time I'll (speak) to you about gravity, and it's opposite, comedy."(Firesign Theatre, "Everything You Know is Wrong")

Paracelsus,

DANG!!...No famous scientistsBut I do share a B-Day with Sally Field and Maria Shriver
Got one famous scientist to share bday with: Labrat :thumbsup: 11/6/61

Guest Paracelsus
Paracelsus,Got one famous scientist to share bday with: Labrat  :thumbsup: 11/6/61
Thanks for the compliment, b2cm. However...Contrary to rumor and legend...LR and I weren't born on the same day...Or even the same year :url: LabRat was born in mid January of 1974, during my Freshie year as an undergrad :D

OOOooooo. Talk about weird.. I clicked on my birth date and was stunned to see my grandmotherr's name. I am sure it was a different one since that would have made her 1 when my father was born. But seeing Hazel Scott listed there sure did make me do a double take. Jacques Coustea also shares the same date.Julia :thumbsup:

LabRat was born in mid January of 1974, during my Freshie year as an undergrad
OK. So let it be the heretic Dilettante Extraordinaire instead. :)

linuxdude32

This is an interesting page with questions to ask the avid astrologer:http://www.astrosociety.org/education/astr...astrology3.htmlI found this part amusing:

If the effects of astrology can be attributed to gravity, tidal forces, or magnetism (each is invoked by a different astrological school), even a beginning physics student can make the calculations necessary to see what really affects a newborn baby. These are worked out for many different cases in Roger Culver and Philip Ianna's book Astrology: True or False (1988, Prometheus Books). For example, the obstetrician who delivers the child turns out to have about six times the gravitational pull of Mars and about two thousand billion times its tidal force. The doctor may have a lot less mass than the red planet, but he or she is a lot closer to the baby!
:DI find it fascinating (and disconcerting) that so many people believe in astrology (a survey found 55% of Americans do). I suppose it's harmless especially since horoscopes in newspapers are so general they apply to almost anyone. :ermm:

Eric Legge

That's an interesting read, linuxdude32.Thanks to those of you who sent in your submissions.I think it's a good idea to obtain submissions from forums that are not related to astrology because if you have a keen interest in the subject you could model yourself on what you are supposed to be like according to your birth chart.Someone was confused about being born on the cusp between two sun signs. You only have one sun sign even if you were born on the cusp between two sun signs. It is just more difficult to work out which one you belong to. It's much the same as being born one minute before midnight or one minute after midnight. You can only have one birthday and hence only one sun sign.As for twins, identical twins have almost identical genetics so they live very similar lives and tend to have the same characteristics and tastes. But they won't have the same astrological birth chart because they are born at different times and the heavens are constantly changing, making their astrological information differ, albeit only slightly.I will have astrologers draw up birth charts for those people who send in submissions and who share a birthday and a year of birth. I am not making any judgements. I'll just present the information as I receive it.Regards, Erichttp://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/