openSUSE 12.1

Peachy

V.T. Eric Layton

I was very impressed with OpenSuSE the first time I installed it on one of my systems, back in my distro farming daze. It was version 10, I believe. Sadly, I played around with v11 when it came out, but there was something about it that I didn't like. I don't remember what it was at the moment, though.

Is OpenSuSE still using Gnome as the default desktop manager?

Eric

A link to more info on desktops--->>>

http://news.opensuse.org/2011/11/16/opensu...ampaign=counter

There are also LiveCD's of Gnome & KDE - both installable but not upgradable.

Think the main DVD is geared towards KDE but there are choices for Gnome LXDE XFCE and IceWm

And a whole lot of Mirrors to download from

Cheers for Years

Colin :whistling:

Edited by kamicota

I was very impressed with OpenSuSE the first time I installed it on one of my systems, back in my distro farming daze. It was version 10, I believe. Sadly, I played around with v11 when it came out, but there was something about it that I didn't like. I don't remember what it was at the moment, though.

Is OpenSuSE still using Gnome as the default desktop manager?

During installation, KDE is has been highlighted since 11.1. I'm going to test it this morning.

V.T. Eric Layton
During installation, KDE is has been highlighted since 11.1. I'm going to test it this morning.

Come to think of it, that may actually be what turned me off about 11... KDE4. :thumbsdown:

Well, I can see why Linus Torvalds has kicked GNOME 3 to the curb. What were they thinking. Fortunately, openSUSE provides XFCE too. So, far, the installation went smoothly and everything seems to work without a hitch. Next, I will install the media codecs. KVM runs quite nicely.

V.T. Eric Layton

Umm... Xfce GOOD! :w00t:

It's funny in an ironic sort of way that KDE and Gnome have both made Xfce very popular over the last couple years. ;)

Umm... Xfce GOOD! :w00t:

It's funny in an ironic sort of way that KDE and Gnome have both made Xfce very popular over the last couple years. ;)

The way the UI engineers are going :'( , CLI is going to be very popular this time next year.

I liked OpenSuSE very much and I have the Gnome OpenSuSE installed but I rarely use it.

So I downloaded the 12.1 version (dvd) and I wanted to move the .iso file to my /storage partition ( which now gets mounted at boot time ) and try it in Vbox but it won't let me do so, saying the file is too large.

live16.th.jpg

any way around that?

I liked OpenSuSE very much and I have the Gnome OpenSuSE installed but I rarely use it.

So I downloaded the 12.1 version (dvd) and I wanted to move the .iso file to my /storage partition ( which now gets mounted at boot time ) and try it in Vbox but it won't let me do so, saying the file is too large.

live16.th.jpg

any way around that?

What filesystem is /storage partition using ..?

You're both right.

/storage is a Fat32 ( 100 GB ).

I am presently installing OpenSuSE in Vbox from my /home which is 9.7 Gb with 5 Gb still Free in Mandriva. The install is presently 64% done. I chose Xfce since I have the Gnome 12.0 beta I think and the KDE 11 version on a separate partition. Or it could be the opposite.

I have always liked OpenSuSE and I don't remember why I switched to Mandriva. I am actually using Gnome OpenSuSE as my bootloader. It looks nice and it works fine.

I will play with the latest version 12.1 from Vbox for a while and decide if I will replace the actual 11.4 ( I think ) on my /sda partition ( 20 Gb ).

And about 3 hrs later I am replying from FF in OpenSuSE 12.1 in my Vbox.

Edited by réjean

I downloaded this and it is presently installing in a vm. I went ahead and installed almost everything, except some of the devel tools. I haven't ventured from the true path in a long time! :)

• 8 months later...

So, I had an AMD Athlon II X2 255 Processor, 2 cores available at work and decided to see for myself how KDE4 worked. Suse was a good choice I figured since it gives an option of which wndows manager to use when logging in and it is supposed to play nicely within msWindows domain and I wanted to see how Citadel worked. So I installed the newest Suse 12.1 and gave myself a week to get a handle on KDE4.

Well, I couldn't take it. I just had to stop using the KDE4 after 3 days. I started using IceWM (it was first on the list when selecting from the login) and can now see what the advantages of Suse are as well as being much happier.

The KDE4 was just too busy , too confusing and counter intuitive. The awful tutorial did not help either. My wrists and mouse thumb were hurting.

I switch to IceWM and boom - much easier to work with and I actually got things done. Note: I have used KDE3 as my standard 'winMgr' in the past and this is the first time I ever used IceWM.

• Like 1

HA! It would be just too easy for me to comment here, huh Roger? ;)

I'll take that as a comment. :)

Some people like it and some don't. Personally I'm not keen on sauerkraut but other people eat it. My brother hates bananas but I love them. I actually rather like LXDE and Enlightenment too.