A poor workman always blames his tools !

the register microsoft windows 8 hardware

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

The Redmond crew is further alienating their greatest competitive advantage in the PC marketplace, their OEM partners.

I think all the sharp marketing folks over there have either left the building or are running for cover with this one.
It's going to be very hard in today's market to recover the level of participation and cooperation the Microsoft OEM Partner system once used to dominate the PC world.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#2 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Both sides have points. And both sides are overreaching.

And touch screen technology for laptops, monitors, etc. is still way expensive.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#3 OFFLINE   therock247uk

therock247uk

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

i dont get along with touch screens!!

#4 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

me either, rocky! as the good folks here have heard! :D

as to the fallout from win 8 in the desktop pc environment, that remains to be seen.
windows-based hardware makers have precious little choice in OSs.
one would hope they ease towards linux... :)

ps
i spoke with dell & their microsoft rep about win 8 in a business environment.
you know what their response was?
"windows 8 for dummies"
lol :D
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

I hear ya!!! They can be a real pain. I love touch screens on my iPhone and on friends iPads. They work great.

But on Windows, nope. Just not ready yet for Desktops and many folks really can't afford them.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#6 OFFLINE   therock247uk

therock247uk

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

windows 7 is great for desktops windows 8 is not.

#7 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Totally agree!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Is The Register considered a reliable gossip source?
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#9 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

View Postcrp, on 27 January 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

Is The Register considered a reliable gossip source?
More so than The Onion.

Edited by amenditman, 27 January 2013 - 08:29 PM.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#10 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,767 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

While sitting here in front of my desktop system reading this thread, a song comes to mind...

#11 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

i get all my news from "the onion" - why would you consider it a source of gossip?
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

The Reg does real news, but from an interesting slant. They have some cool british humor...may be lost on some...
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

View PostLilBambi, on 28 January 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

The Reg does real news, but from an interesting slant. They have some cool british humor...may be lost on some...
okay, I just recall from a few years back (maybe 5) that they did some breathless reportings that turned out to be , shall we say, "poorly sourced" - and they were not meant as jokes/satire.
But new editorial board could change that, if it did. So I'm going to take the stories with a huge fist full of salt 'til another site backs it up.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#14 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

http://www.theregist...s_8_blame_game/

Microsoft blasts PC makers: It's YOUR fault Windows 8 crash landed

Best laugh I have had in ages.  :fish:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Can this be merged with the thread already going?
http://forums.scotsn...showtopic=60433
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

View Postzlim, on 28 January 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

Looks like I'm behind the times again. This thread should be deleted. :whistling:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   therock247uk

therock247uk

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

merging them sounds good. :)

#18 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

View PostLilBambi, on 28 January 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

lol, i like the dry, british humor.
as some of you may (or not) have noticed... :D
Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

View Postcrp, on 28 January 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

So I'm going to take the stories with a huge fist full of salt 'til another site backs it up.

Excellent idea, no matter the source! :thumbup:

View PostTemmu, on 28 January 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

lol, i like the dry, british humor.
as some of you may (or not) have noticed... :D

I think I noticed that a bit Temmu :yes: :teehee:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   jcgriff2

jcgriff2

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

I actually used a tablet for the first time last night and was not overly thrilled at all.  I was beyond frustrated trying to read the output of BSOD kernel dumps on an 8" screen. So, my 30 minutes of giving the new technology a try has now passed!

Aside from the touch aspect of Windows 8, which my kids would likely destroy faster than their iPhones, IMO it is the fault of the Hardware OEMs.  Microsoft has always sat on the software side of the fence.  Granted MS has generally dictated policy, but like the massive problems with Vista (drivers) in 2007+, it is the fault of the device manufacturers because they had ample warning and chose a conservative approach rather than an agressive one.

We're seeing the same problems now in Windows 8 with many device manufacturers who simply do not update device drivers.

Microsoft did it right this time telling owners of XP, Vista and W7 upgrades to. . .

Experience Windows 8 on a new [hardware] system.

(or something similar - I forget the exact quote now)!

Edited by jcgriff2, 01 February 2013 - 08:22 AM.

Posted Image
J. C. Griffith
Windows Expert - Consumer
mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Griffith

#21 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

View Postjcgriff2, on 01 February 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

I actually used a tablet for the first time last night and was not overly thrilled at all.  I was beyond frustrated trying to read the output of BSOD kernel dumps on an 8" screen. So, my 30 minutes of giving the new technology a try has now passed!

Enlarging the font size 150% like you do on your regular computer would be a bit tough to follow along on an 8" screen.  :hysterical:
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#22 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

View Postzlim, on 28 January 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

Threads merged.
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#23 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Posting Prodigy

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

Hello,

I've been playing around with various incarnations of Windows 8 (and its sibling Windows RT) for a bit now on a mixture of touch and non-touch screen devices.

The experience of using the "Modern Windows 8 Store Apps (formerly Metro Design Language") on a screen that supports multiple touch points is actually pretty good.  But it becomes less easy to use once you switch over to a pointing device that supports only a single-point, like a digitizing tablet, trackpad, TrackPoint, mouse and so forth.

Once you get over to the Desktop, though, it's largely business as usual (at least on Windows 8, Windows RT is different), and that's where I spend most of my time right now.  Once I click on the Desktop tile, or press Winkey+D to bring up the Desktop, that's where I am for the rest of the computing session.

Right now, I still prefer Windows 7 but I am learning how to work with Windows 8 so that I can get things done in there as fluidly as I can.  A large part of that is just memorizing all the new Windows Key combinations and then using them to build memory muscle.  Right after I installed Windows 8, I created a little faux Start Menu on the Toolbar to kind of act as a bridge.  Obviously, not the same as the full-fledged Start Menu, but it helped.  There's also a plethora of third-party Start Menu replacements (Start8, StartIsBack, Classic Shell and so forth) which emulate the Start Menu from Windows 7 with varying degrees of success, including bringing you to the Desktop automatically.

A couple of days ago, I actually went and installed a copy of StartIsBack (arguably the closest experience to Windows 7's Start Menu) and do you know what I found?  I really have not been using it nearly as much as I thought I would.  All the programs I frequently run I launch via keyboard.  I will probably remove both it and my Toolbar in a bit, but right now I just find it a little amusing to see them--plus the Quick Launch toolbar, I recreated that as well--under Windows 8.

I suspect in time that Microsoft is going to have some success with the tablet paradigm, but I think it's going to just be a gradual progression as hardware costs come down and, of course, software for the interface arrives that people really want to use, both at home and at work.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP 2004.1-2018.6 [Cloud and Datacenter Management]

(previously Networking, Windows, Windows for Devices and IT)
FacebookGoogle+ personal blogpersonal websiteTwitter work blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: the register, microsoft, windows 8, hardware

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users