Read This Sad Post from Pat Volkerding on LinuxQuestions.org

V.T. Eric Layton

securitybreach

It really sucks that the maintainer of the oldest surviving Linux distro is having hard times. I know that Pat has had financial troubles in the past as well but I would of thought that he would of gotten hired up by some tech company. It's like the one guy who maintains all of NTP all by himself. It really doesn't make any sense. Companies have no problem using these tech gurus and their creations, while letting them struggle to pay the bills. It really is a sad state of affairs. If I had a whole lot of money, these are the types of people that I would help.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

If I had a whole lot of money, these are the types of people that I would help.

Absolutely! I actually have a donation list of folks like the ones you're talking about here for when I hit that darn lottery. Sadly, I'm so strapped right now that I couldn't even come up with $20 for Pat. :(

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Legit how? Is it the truth, you mean? Yes, I believe so. I know Pat V. has been having health and financial issues for a few years. It's been a struggle for him. This "new" news about the Slackware Store screwing him all these years had been suspected by a few of us with close sources of info, but this is the first time Pat V. had posted in detail about how he's getting screwed by them. Pat admits that it was somewhat his own fault for being too lazy and too trusting when setting up the store years ago. Oh, well... live and learn.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

A quote from his post above was particularly ugly...

I've not been paid any money by them in two years. That was upon the 14.2 release (and followed another long period of time with no income). The 14.2 release generated nearly $100K in revenue. The store gave me $15K, and later said that I was "overpaid".
  • Like 1