• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• striker

• SueD

• ozgeek

• Bruno

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll be interesting to see how it works on my laptop. Thanks Striker.
Just tried the 2.2GL version last week on mine... :thumbsdown: :thumbsup: Si I'm too curious about the new one coming soon. :thumbsup:

been watching for this one like a hawk myself. :hysterical: stayed up all night refreshing the linuxtracker page looking for the beta torrent. :hysterical: did some refreshing of the dreamlinux forum page also.here's the latest announcement about the beta that is due out today. there were last minute probs so he might release it tomorrow.http://dream.linux-hardcore.com/index.php/topic,172.0.html

Sorry Guys. I experienced some last-minute troubles and hope will have the Beta-1 iso uploaded it by tomorrow afternoon.
i assume when it's uploaded it will show up here.http://linuxtracker.org/

Just tried the 2.2GL version last week on mine... :hysterical: :hysterical: Si I'm too curious about the new one coming soon. :D
Really? Wow, I'm shocked! 2.2 is what I'm using on my laptop. For a 9 year old machine, it works beautifully. Maybe it's more suited to older models? Hubby's on winter layoff from his construction job and that Toshiba's being used several times a day by him. I thought he'd be pushing me away from my desk to use Mandriva but he's been very happy with DL.

On the main machine I once had 2.1 "the Works" installed. It ran flawlessly and played (multimedia wise) what I fed it with. But I figured they would come up with a new version by now so I didn't invest any more time in trying to install it on this laptop. :hysterical:

the beta 2 is available http://dream.rowanparker.com/i had some probs getting this running in virtualbox. beta is definitely beta. it has some rough edges.1. fails to start x server in virtualbox. it configures x with cirrus driver. i don't think VB supports this driver. changing cirrus to vesa will work.2. engage (mac style dock) doesn't seem to be working.3. network daemon didn't start by default. had to manually start it. works ok.4. i haven't found the installer yet. shotshttp://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2005366388334593216

Edited by cybormoron

3. network daemon didn't start by default. had to manually start it. works ok.4. i haven't found the installer yet. [end quote]I am downloading this now...did you get any better results after this post?

I am downloading this now...did you get any better results after this post?
hi Fryed2aCrisp...no, actually i stopped exploring this. thought i'd just wait for the official release. the engage panel not working was the show stopper for me.the version i downloaded was one of the first posted to the mirrors but those went down because of demand. i think he has some new mirrors and also a torrent seeded at this point so i wonder if he submitted a bug fix for the engage panel before syncing the new mirrors. he had a slight problem meeting the beta release date but he's working hard on this so it looks very promising. i'll probably just wait. i hope it works ok for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd try the beta to see how it looked. However, the download file is an .iso.1 format and I haven't been able to burn it using any programme I've got. A google search failed to help. Does anyone know how to burn this kind of file? :hysterical:

I would say rename the file and strip it from the ".1" . . . so it becomes "DL3.0-Beta-3.iso"After that you should be able to burn it to CD the usual way :hysterical: ( I think they made a typo just before uploading the file )Also, here is another mirror: http://www.toejob.org/junk/DL3.0-Beta-3.iso it has the file without the ".1" part ;):clap: Bruno

I think I am gonna give this one a try once its out of beta. I liked the previous version, but I had major issues trying to configure X for correct res. I do like the speed and dt thou. :hysterical:

I would say rename the file and strip it from the ".1" . . . so it becomes "DL3.0-Beta-3.iso"After that you should be able to burn it to CD the usual way :hysterical: ( I think they made a typo just before uploading the file )Also, here is another mirror: http://www.toejob.org/junk/DL3.0-Beta-3.iso it has the file without the ".1" part ;):clap: Bruno
I renamed it and installed it in a Vbox session. I had to dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to get it to work. Don't see much difference from any other Gnome distro except for the app icons at the bottom of the screen that enlarge as the cursor passes over them.

Many thanks, Lewmur, Bruno and Striker for your help.I tried to rename my existing file but still couldn't get my burning programme to recognise the new filename. I am now downloading from the link you posted with the revised file name (www.toejob.org) Hope that will have more success. :hysterical:

Success in downloading the new file and it looked good from the CD. Had a problem in installing to my hard drive though - when I rebooted it would only boot into the safe mode for some reason. I might have to give it another go :hysterical:

I might have to give it another go :hysterical:
Tried again, but no luck. It only wants to go into "Recovery mode" which means a white screen which doesn't go anywhere.Message has just come up that there may be missing modules. "Can't access tty; job control turned off"It seems that there needs to be some further work done here before the final release.

It seems that there needs to be some further work done here before the final release.
Does indeed sound like you are right . . . . . :thumbsup: . . . there is another dream shattered. B) Bruno

When I read all the troubles still in the last Beta before final release (!) at:http://dreamlinuxforums.org/index.php/board,29.0.htmlI think this does not sound good. B) I would advise to wait at least until some reviewers pick it up after DL 3.0 went final: that way you get two flies with one smash, see what it is all about this DL 3.0 and what it does at the reviewers set up, and secondly what the quality of these so called reviews are... (bet they test it only on one lousy machine and only in the default settings) :thumbsup: I still do have a bit of hope left that all the problems will get squashed out in time tho, albeit I think they run short of time by now. This shouldn't happen at this stage anymore.

Striker, it does seem odd that they've stopped at Betas. Most distros have at least 2 release candidates. Perhaps this would have been a good idea here and have cut down on some obvious problems. :thumbsup:

Yes, you're so right there Jan. That's why I said let the reviewers have a 'first struggle' and after that make up your mind. I've said it in some other thread before just yesterday, when I get my hands on a distro of interest and it refuses to boot properly, it ends up in the garbage can without any further tinkering for hours to try to boot it. I should boot out of the box, and if not : well, that's the end of the story then. :thumbsup: But let's see what happens in the coming week, I'm still curious. B)

Yes, you're so right there Jan. That's why I said let the reviewers have a 'first struggle' and after that make up your mind. I've said it in some other thread before just yesterday, when I get my hands on a distro of interest and it refuses to boot properly, it ends up in the garbage can without any further tinkering for hours to try to boot it. I should boot out of the box, and if not : well, that's the end of the story then. :thumbsup: But let's see what happens in the coming week, I'm still curious. B)
Yes, I shall also look forward to seeing if they can bring out a bug-free version. It would be a great pity if it remains buggy because it's looking very promising.I too have ended up with a lot of drink coasters from distros that don't boot properly. However, I'll always give them a go - being a supreme optimist. :)