How to Use the Linux Command Line: Basics of CLI

securitybreach

securitybreach

How to Use the Linux Command Line: Basics of CLI

Monday, 30 March 2015 08:26 Swapnil Bhartiya |exclusive.pngExclusive

terminal-window.png

If you are using a desktop environment then you need a terminal emulator to emulate the terminal within that interface. Different distros come with their own terminal emulators: KDE comes with Konsole and Gnome comes with Gnome Terminal.

One shell to rule them all, one shell to find them, one shell to bring them all and in the same distro bind them.

Command line is one of the many strengths of Linux based systems. Why is it a strength? There is no one answer; there are many answers. I agree that the graphical user interface (GUI) makes it easier for a user to interact with their system and that's what new users may need to get started with Linux; that's what I needed when I was starting off with Linux back

in 2005. But as I matured as a user I found CLI (command line interface) was more efficient than fiddling with the buttons of a tool.

CLI also allows users to be independent of distros. Just look at the derivates of Ubuntu, even if they use the same code-base they have different tools to do the same job. Different desktop environments on the same distro need different ways to perform the same task. A user has to un-learn and then re-learn the process of doing the same thing while they hop between distros. Furthermore if we move between Fedora, openSUSE and Arch, it becomes even more complicated.

But once you understand that in Debian-based systems apt-get or dpkg are the commands that you need to manage software, life becomes easy. Then it desn't matter whether you are on Ubuntu or Lubuntu.

When I was dependent on a GUI, I used to get worried whether that particular distro has that feature or not - it was all about certain features being exposed or hidden through the GUI.

One simple example is that Gnome's Nautilus doesn't allow batch rename of files where as KDE's Dolphin does. As a result the user of x distro or DE hesitates in trying out other projects fearing they won't find the same tools. A Gnome user doesn't have to sacrifice such a useful function, thanks to the command line.

But that's not all command line does. It also saves system resources which are consumed by GUIs. So if you are on a slower system, you are better off with the command line than GUI.

People tend to think command line is difficult; it's not. It's more or less like SMSing to your PC, telling it what to do.

So without further ado let's learn some basics of command line...........

https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/819973-how-to-use-the-linux-command-line-basics-of-cli/

• Like 2