Slackware 11.0 Network Configuration

IFT Student

Hello again, Seems we have the same problem as we had in Ubuntu. View the Ubuntu thread here. Any help is greatly appreciated. It is the same problem as I had in the past. Still no solutions present. :P

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• IFT Student

• striker

Well we have discovered that our network card is not configured. How to do in Slackware? And our swaret.conf file shows nothing but white space. And we haven't tried Package manager yet because firefox is still a no go. :P

Edited by IFT Student

Ahaaaa . . . . that is the problem :DOkay, open a terminal, type "su" to log in as root . . and then type "netconfig" and follow the screens.:P Bruno

Wow netconfig. That was suprisingly very simple, however, we still are unable to connect through firefox. Any suggestions? Also, when we open Network Settings under Internet & Network, We receive an error that says Platform Not Supported. ??? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Enter Hostname:iftlinuxEnter domain name for iftlinux:TTCHSetup IP Address for iftlinux.TTCH:DHCPEnter DHCP Hostname:(no hostname) just hit enterIs this correct Yes to continue, No to reconfigure. --- YesSettings Accepted. Basic Network configuration is complete. <ok>Returned to TerminalThats what we entered but really not quite sure any of that is correct. Thanks and I hope this helps you.

Edited by IFT Student

Hi ITFTry thisEnter Hostname:localhostEnter domain name for localhost:localdomainRest should be okay the same as you did beforeB) Bruno

Well we tried localhost,localdomain with no new results. Is there something we have to change in the Network Settings submenu under the Internet & Network menu. Also, we are learning how to write perl scripts. We created a perl script and put it on the desktop and named it Example4-2-2.pl how do we run the perl script. What are the terminal commands to navigate to the perl script? Thank you for the help.

Well we tried localhost,localdomain with no new results. Is there something we have to change in the Network Settings submenu under the Internet & Network menu.
No, shoould not be needed . . did you make any changes there ??
Also, we are learning how to write perl scripts. We created a perl script and put it on the desktop and named it Example4-2-2.pl how do we run the perl script. What are the terminal commands to navigate to the perl script?
Simply type the full path to the script in a terminal . . . so if it is on the desktop: /home/student/Desktop/name_of_scriptOr change directory to the Desktop first: "cd /home/student/Desktop" and then "./name_of_script":P Bruno

Ok Last thing first, The perl script is now recognized by the terminal but we get a permission denied error under root and user. Any suggestions?No we did not make any changes in the network settings dialog box because we get that Platform not supported message and Slackware 11.0 is not on there. The exact directory is under Actions/Settings/Internet & Network/Network Settings. We then receive a Platform not Supported error and are not allowed to make changes.

No we did not make any changes in the network settings dialog box because we get that Platform not supported message and Slackware 11.0 is not on there. The exact directory is under Actions/Settings/Internet & Network/Network Settings. We then receive a Platform not Supported error and are not allowed to make changes.
Probably because those setting need root permissions . . . . I am not at home at the moment so can not check any settings in Slackware . . . but I will do laterCan you give the command: "arp -a" as root and see what it gives ?? ( x-out the mac address before you post the results on the forum B) )The script: . . . maybe check the script ?B) Bruno

Sorry it took so long a student had to take a certification test. The "arp-a" command showed no results. In other words, nothing happened It just moved to another line in the terminal. Not sure what this means but I hope this helps. Thank you.

No problem !!Okay try this:

# ifdown eth0# ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.11 netmask 255.255.255.0 # ifup eth0# ifconfig -a

NOTE . . I think top remember 10.0.0.10 was the network/router . . so I gave this one 10.0.0.11Again . . . please x-out mac addresses if you post output ;)B) Bruno

Sorry about thatg . . just open a terminal . . . . type "su" to become root and then type the commands.B) BrunoPS: if this fails . . . In a few hours I will be back home and I can check in my Slackware install

Ok the only command that worked was ifconfig -a, these are the results

eth0							 Link encap:Ethernet	 HWaddr  xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx									 inet addr:10.1.1.11	   Bcast:10.255.255.255   Mask: 255.255.255.0									 UP BROADCAST MULTICAST	MTU:1500  Metric:1									 RX packets:0  errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:1  frame:0									 TX packets:5  errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:5									 collisions:0lo								  Link encap:Local Loopback									 inet addr:127.0.0.1		 Mask:255.0.0.0									 UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436	Metric:1									 RX packets:40 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0									 TX packets:40 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier: 0									 collisions:0									 RX bytes:2864   (2.7 KiB)	  TX bytes:2864 (2.7 KiB)

Hope this helps. Thanks for the help.

According to that output you are connected with Eth0 with the IP address of 10.1.1.11 . . . . can you check a browser ?ALso, can you give me the output of the command "uname -r" ?B) Bruno

uname -r showed the following results

Nothing happened differently with the browser check. we use 10.1.1.10 but entered 10.1.1.11 according to your specifications. Not sure what should be entered there. Thanks for your help but we are going home in about 15 minutes so won't be able to test anything else until tomorrow unless very fast reply. Anything you post will be checked before then though. Thanks for the help and we'll see you tomorrow.

Let us pick this up tomorrow . . . . I will be on my own computer and all will be a bit easier for me too.Question: During the install did you choose a "kernel from the CD" and use the "bare.i" ??B) Bruno

Yes we used Kernel from CD and used bare.i. Thank you once again for all the help and I guess we'll talk again tomorrow around noon our time. B)

Hi StudentFor tomorrow: I would like to see what the command "# ifconfig -a" reports on the Ubuntu install.And then what the next command on Slackware shows: "# cat /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf" and "# ls -al /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1"Also I would like to know if maybe that Slackware computer has more then one network card.And if during the Slackware install you went for all the defaults the installer was presenting or maybe added extra services/packagesB) Bruno

Hello Bruno, Here is the information you requested.

ift@ift-desktop:~$ ifconfig -aeth0	  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx  		  inet addr:10.1.1.190  Bcast:10.1.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0		  inet6 addr: fe80::208:74ff:fedc:459b/64 Scope:Link		  UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1		  RX packets:91 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0		  TX packets:14 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0		  collisions:0 txqueuelen:10 		  RX bytes:14575 (14.2 KiB)  TX bytes:1166 (1.1 KiB)		  Base address:0xecc0 Memory:ff8e0000-ff900000 lo		Link encap:Local Loopback  		  inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0		  inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host		  UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1		  RX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0		  TX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0		  collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 		  RX bytes:188 (188.0 b)  TX bytes:188 (188.0 b)sit0	  Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4  		  NOARP  MTU:1480  Metric:1		  RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0		  TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0		  collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 		  RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

On the Slack Install, we installed everything on the list. The defaults were just not good enough :P Nope it only has one network card.The results of the Slack commands will be coming shortly

Ok a slight problem,I'm posting from the Ubuntu machine. In order to get all the results from the Slack commands i would have to retype everything. So we thought it would be easy to just save in a text file and put on a floppy disk. Simple transfer right? No, Apparently we cannot mount the floppy drive and we cant format floppy or do anything basically. :P Help please. Thanks :P

Hi StudentNo problem . . I will show you the relevant parts . . . just copy it and change the values like you see it on your Slackware and post the result:

# Config information for eth0:IPADDR[0]="10.0.0.154"NETMASK[0]="255.255.255.0"USE_DHCP[0]=""DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""
And:
# Default gateway IP address:GATEWAY="10.0.0.138"
Also . . . . do you know what the "gateway is on your network ? Is that the 10.1.1.10 or 10.0.0.1 ? ( The gateway usually is the IP address you use to see the config-page of the router )Note: in the config above I am using a "static" IP address for the connection of Slackware and not DHCP . . . . this is also what I would try to try next using the 10.1.1.190 your Ubuntu system got assigned - we will have to take down the Ubuntu system temporary to do so . . or we should use another IP in the range the router has available for connecting ):P BrunoPS: Your floppy problems are odd . . I wonder if something went really wrong during the install and more functions are maybe not configured. Usually connecting in Slack is real easy.

Responding to the PS One of the students involved in the Linux adventure is a pretty fluent Linux user, however, he has forgotten some things. We looked for mounting commands and attempted a few but were returned with the "Permission Denied" message. Not sure why we got this considering we were using root to attempt?

Responding to the PS One of the students involved in the Linux adventure is a pretty fluent Linux user, however, he has forgotten some things. We looked for mounting commands and attempted a few but were returned with the "Permission Denied" message. Not sure why we got this considering we were using root to attempt?
Yep mounting the floppy is a root command indeed . . . . ;):P Bruno

Ok, I managed to mount the floppy with some luck commands. Problem is now I cant open the text file on the Ubuntu machine because of an error that pops up stating "Not a Suitable Application". Any words of advice?

Ok, I managed to mount the floppy with some luck commands. Problem is now I cant open the text file on the Ubuntu machine because of an error that pops up stating "Not a Suitable Application". Any words of advice?
Depends on how you saved it . . . . . but the command "cat name_of_file.txt" should do the trick.But I prepared something for you, have a look:. . . . in the /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf change these lines like below:
# Config information for eth0:IPADDR[0]="10.1.1.190"NETMASK[0]="255.255.255.0"USE_DHCP[0]=""DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""
And a bit down the file:
# Default gateway IP address:GATEWAY="10.1.1.10"
Because we temporary for the test will use the IP lease the Ubunu system was getting ( IPADDR[0]="10.1.1.190" ) you will have to shutdown the Ubuntu system for the during of this test. Or change the 10.1.1.190 to a number you know for sure is not yet in use.Also, I assumed "10.1.1.10" is the gateway . . . please check with the sysadmin.After changing the /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf with the values above, you give the next command to (re)start the network connection:
# /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 restart

After that start up a browser and see if you are online.:P Bruno