• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,764 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:42 PM

This PCMag article is geared toward the novice computer user, but it's a decent write-up regarding SSDs and HDDs.

SSD vs. HDD: What's the Difference?
Posted Image

Posted Image Support Slackware: https://paypal.me/volkerdi

#2 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:24 PM

Interesting read.  I didn't know that the chips are sometimes a permanent part of the motherboard, but then again, what I don't know about hardware would fill a very large HDD to capacity.

Edited by ebrke, 05 March 2015 - 07:24 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,651 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:27 PM

View Postebrke, on 05 March 2015 - 07:24 PM, said:

I didn't know that the chips are sometimes a permanent part of the motherboard, but then again, what I don't know about hardware would fill a very large HDD to capacity.

Well this is the case with most apple products that come with ssds and also other small factor machines with ssds. It is basically like how Apple and others solder the ram to the motherboard so that you cannot upgrade the memory and other non-upgradeable parts.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#4 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,651 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:31 PM

I bought the first linux netbook (Asus EeePC 701) available and it had a ssd soldered to the motherboard as well (it only had a 4gb ssd drive)
Posted ImagePosted Image

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#5 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,651 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:40 PM

Nice article Eric :thumbup:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 OFFLINE   atiustira

atiustira

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:48 AM

Thank you Erick. That was a good article.

#7 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

Thanks Eric!!

It is interesting to note that RAM memory originally started as soldered in as well.

It became quite restrictive and difficult for users to add memory so the changed to memory slots for ease of use and to make it consumer servicable.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#8 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:00 AM

I love the M.2 form factor. It can go into newer motherboards and ultrabooks.

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 06:40 AM

Rather than start  a new thread I thought this would be a neat update on disk changes.

Data in a Flash, Part I: the Evolution of Disk Storage and an Introduction to NVMe

byPetros Koutoupis
on April 29, 2019

Enjoy

:breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,997 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:08 AM

The first SSD I had was on an Acer Aspire Netbook. It was tiny in capacity, had a PATA interface on a paper thin membrane cable. Could likely not have been upgraded. SSDs have come a long way since 2008.
Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,651 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:19 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 04 May 2019 - 06:40 AM, said:

Rather than start  a new thread I thought this would be a neat update on disk changes.

Data in a Flash, Part I: the Evolution of Disk Storage and an Introduction to NVMe

byPetros Koutoupis
on April 29, 2019

Enjoy

:breakfast:

Nice. My latest laptop has a 250 GB PCIe NVMe TLC SSD (Intel). My other laptops just have SATA SSDs in them but I do not think that I could ever go back to using spinning drives for the OS. They are still good for storing media and such but their read/write speeds are entirely to slow for me nowadays.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,651 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:22 AM

View Postraymac46, on 04 May 2019 - 07:08 AM, said:

The first SSD I had was on an Acer Aspire Netbook. It was tiny in capacity, had a PATA interface on a paper thin membrane cable. Could likely not have been upgraded. SSDs have come a long way since 2008.

Same here. My first computer with an SSD in it was the EeeePC 701 and it came with a 4GB SSD. I got mine in 2008.

BTW SSDs have been around since 1991:

In 1991, SanDisk Corporation (then SunDisk) shipped the Flash based first SSD; a 20 MB SSD in a PCMCIA configuration. It sold OEM for around $1,000 and was used by IBM in a ThinkPad laptop. In 1998 SanDisk introduced SSDs in 2½ and 3½ form factors with PATA interfaces.
https://en.wikipedia...lid-state_drive
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,764 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:39 AM

I'm still using mechanical drives.

Thanks to a friend. I have a nice SSD, but I'm saving it till I build my next system (or refurbish this one).

"I'm not lazy. I just really enjoy doing nothing." ;)
Posted Image

Posted Image Support Slackware: https://paypal.me/volkerdi

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users