Metro 2033 - PC Game

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

I've really wanted to play this game for some time now. As many of you know, I'm a hardcore player/fan of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series of games. Metro 2033 has some common pedigree with that series. Not only does in take place in Russia (Ukraine for STALKER), but some of the game devs were the original group from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl (Oblivion Lost).

I finally got my chance to play Metro 2033 on Saturday evening. To make a long and aggravating story short.... it SUCKS!

Here's why in a nutshell:

• Steam driven game
  • installation failed numerous times
  • cannot ESC out of beginning splash adverts
  • game play way too linear for my tastes
  • cannot save games - auto-saves only (this was written as a game box game, evidently)
  • too darn dark - reminded me of Doom 3, which also sucked
  • weapons carpy... ammo and other needed items scarce
  • too many enemies - swarming, hopelessly over-matched even on easy mode in some places
  • too dark... oh, I said that one already :(

I'm a veteran gamer. I play the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games with added mods and my own modifications to make them MORE difficult to play. I always play in Master difficulty mode. Another favorite of mine was the Deus Ex games (I and II). I played Deus Ex Human Revolutions on Steam. It was much like Metro 2033... no save options, linear play, etc. It was also designed as a game box game.

Metro 2033 is just not fun to me. Isn't that the goal of gaming; not frustration, aggravation, and high blood pressure? I don't recommend this game to anyone. Fortunately, the price was right... a friend gave me a dupe that he had. It was brand new still in the shrink wrap. You can find them on eBay brand new for about $10. Try it if you think you might like it. It got OK reviews at Amazon and IGN, etc.

Too bad. I don't think I'll even finish it... and I've only played the first 3 or 4 sequences out of twenty or so.

http://www.ign.com/g...-2033/pc-849120

http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1

Later...

~Eric

P.S. Well, may as will go back to studying now, I guess. :mellow:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. Oh well, I've had worse disappointments in life... like wasting all that time on studying for certifications and finding that I'm still being discriminated against because of my age.... can't prove it, though. :(

Hello,

I'm not a hardcore gamer, but that doesn't sound like a fun experience at all.

Perhaps Ubisoft's Watch Dogs will be more interesting?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

V.T. Eric Layton

That actually looks kind of interesting, Aryeh. Thanks. :)

I restarted a new Metro 2033 game on the easiest settings. It's not much of an improvement. :(

• 2 weeks later...
V.T. Eric Layton

Alrighty... finished Metro 2033 tonight. My first impression was correct. It SUCKED! Oh, well... the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series has really spoiled me with free-play; so much so that I cannot stand strict linear storyline games at all anymore. There was an alternative ending in Metro 2033 to try for, but I'm not even going to bother. The game (and Steam) has been expunged from my system already.

Deus Ex - Human Revolutions wasn't too bad on Steam, but this game was just bad. I think Metro had possibilities storywise, but the linear nature of the game box-based game just limited the ability to really develop that world the way they did with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Deus Ex.

*sigh*

I guess I'll find a good game to play again someday. I wish I knew enough about coding. I'd write a sequel to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. I already had a story for that bouncing around in my head. Stalker factions form a temporary truce to battle an onslaught of controller mutants in the Zone. One member from each faction volunteers to go on a mission to eliminated the controllers running wild in the different areas of the Zone. The group is lead by a veteran merc (you) named Blade; a nickname he earned a few years previously from being the only known stalker to kill a controller with his knife. The group travels all over the zone hunting the controllers in their lairs. Eventually they uncover the secret behind the recent increase in controller numbers... but I don't want to give the ending away. ;)

abarbarian
I guess I'll find a good game to play again someday.

How about.

Networking - The Test - Part Two.

I hear that is a very rewarding game. :whistling: