Microsoft Edge to Stop ePub Format

Corrine

From Microsoft Edge to stop ePub format reading support:

Microsoft has shared that the Edge browser will no longer support e-books which use .epub file extension. Reading eBooks had been one of the strongest features of Edge, but this one particular extension is bring dropped. It is most widely supported vendor-independent XML-based e-book format; that is, it is supported by the almost all hardware readers. The support page has been updated recently, i.e., 20 August 2019.

Updated Microsoft Edge Support page: Download an ePub app to keep reading in Microsoft Edge

I liked the ease of using Microsoft Edge to read ePub books and am disappointed with the change. In looking over the current options available in the Microsoft Store, I wasn't impressed. Bookviser eBook Reader and Sumatra, suggested in Best PDF and eBook Reader Apps for Windows 10 may be the best free current options available. I used Sumatra for a long time before Microsoft Edge added the capability to read PDFs.

• Like 1

That's about the only thing I was using it for regularly.

Although I've been trying to minimize the number of Firefox add-ons I use.

http://www.epubread.com/

There are others.

I wasn't really looking for it, but I recall seeing the words "Chrome" and "Opera" in my search results.

Edited by Pete!

V.T. Eric Layton

If you guys have a lot of ebooks on your system and would like to continue to read them using epub format (and most others, including pdf), there is an app that I've used for a few years now. It's called Calibre. It's free/opensource and runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, etc. It's also an EXCELLENT library tool for organizing your ebooks on your system and syncing your reading devices (Nook, etc.).

Here's a screenshot of mine:

JALBjjA.png

You can find/download Calibre here --> https://calibre-ebook.com/

Read a good book. Have fun!

I use Sumatra and I have Calibre installed on one laptop. I installed Calibre because I was helping two people who own Kindles. It allowed me to convert books into the proprietary mobi format. I could then load books onto the Kindle devices.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, Calibre does conversions well; with the exception of pdf files. Although, that's not the fault of the software. Pdf just doesn't convert easily because the text/line formats usually get all slurred/garbled in the conversion.

Although I've been trying to minimize the number of Firefox add-ons I use.

http://www.epubread.com/

Thanks, Pete. Since I see it comes in multiple languages, including Greek, I shared the info with Panos at LzD.

Actually I don't like it as well as I did Edge, but haven't had time to experiment with the others.

If multiple languages is critical, I guess that's a plus.

I already had Sumatra installed. To me the interface feels awkward.