New search engine

Tushman

It's still in beta but looks very promising. I've been using it for the past couple of days doing some simple queries and it's very effective. Haven't used it long enough to say whether how it stacks up against Google giant - but my initial impression is that it's just as good. Needless to say, it depends on what you're searching for.http://www.hakia.com/

Hakia brings search results from credible sites recommended by Librarians.

Hi tushman!Looks good! Have your heard of cuil? It was created by the same people that started Google.
Yep I've heard of it - didn't really try it thoroughly however. I have to tell ya, it's really tough to switch search engines. I've gotten so used to Google - that is the first one that I think of when I need to research something. Yahoo is a close 2nd. I have nothing against Cuil - just by force of habit I prefer to use Google. And besides, Firefox makes it very convenientFirefoxSearchBox.pngIf Cuil was offered as one of the choices in the drop down menu, I would seriously give it a try.

Hello,Viewzi is a search engine that was publicized at Gnomedex 2008 earlier this year. Google has had an alternate search engine (or an alternate interface into their search engine) at SearchMash, but it appears to be no longer active, or at least replaced by their SearchWiki initiative. Speaking of which, it appears Wikia has their own search site, too: Search Wikia. It is not clear to me if it uses Google's underlying engine or not--it does seem to have Google Ads on it, though.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Yep I've heard of it - didn't really try it thoroughly however. I have to tell ya, it's really tough to switch search engines. I've gotten so used to Google - that is the first one that I think of when I need to research something. Yahoo is a close 2nd. I have nothing against Cuil - just by force of habit I prefer to use Google. And besides, Firefox makes it very convenientFirefoxSearchBox.pngIf Cuil was offered as one of the choices in the drop down menu, I would seriously give it a try.
More than that if you like using and seeing FF updated, using it's Google search is what provides FF with the bulk of it's revenue.

"If Cuil was offered as one of the choices in the drop down menu, I would seriously give it a try." -- Tushman If you mean Firefox, you can add search engines to its drop down menu. I thrashed around a bit, but eventually added Cuil. Hit "Manage Search Engines" in the drop down menu, then "Get More Search Engines." That gets you to the Firefox Search Tools Add-ons, and you then click on the Mycroft Project. (Mycroft, as you may know, was Sherlock's smarter brother.) I didn't install the Mycroft Project add-on, but used it to get to the Mycroft website, mycroft.mozdev.org. You then search for Cuil in that website's search box. The result is an almost square blue icon (with the corners cut off), which has the "Cuil" link next to it. You click on the "Cuil" link. There, wasn't that fun. I suspect there may be a more direct way.

"If Cuil was offered as one of the choices in the drop down menu, I would seriously give it a try." -- Tushman If you mean Firefox, you can add search engines to its drop down menu. I thrashed around a bit, but eventually added Cuil. Hit "Manage Search Engines" in the drop down menu, then "Get More Search Engines." That gets you to the Firefox Search Tools Add-ons, and you then click on the Mycroft Project. (Mycroft, as you may know, was Sherlock's smarter brother.) I didn't install the Mycroft Project add-on, but used it to get to the Mycroft website, mycroft.mozdev.org. You then search for Cuil in that website's search box. The result is an almost square blue icon (with the corners cut off), which has the "Cuil" link next to it. You click on the "Cuil" link. There, wasn't that fun. I suspect there may be a more direct way.
Hey that was great - thanks Redmaledeer. There may be a more direct way perhaps but I didn't find it hard to follow. Worked right the first time. (BTW, I didn't install the Mycroft add-on. I used your 2nd method).searchdropdown.png

Sunrat mentions the Blackie search engine. It passes your inquiry to Google, and then passes Google's response back to you. In addition to saving energy, it apparently filters out the Google ads from the results it gives to you, which seems like an advantage. Does anyone know if Blackie shields you from Google in other ways, i.e., protects your privacy? If you use Google directly there is a privacy question, in that Google can collect information on you. If you work thru an intermediary like Blackie, Google might see only Blackie and not you, and thus be unable to collect information on you. Of course the intermediary Blackie would be able to collect information on you. Their privacy policy sounds reasonable (except perhaps for the use of beacons). Does anyone know anything about their integrity?

Use Blackle. ;) It's Google in white-on -black. They say black uses less energy, and claim to have saved 981,460.807 Watt hours so far. Search and help save the world at the same time. :) Also for cute lady overload, try http://www.msdewey.com/Cuil and Hakia both look good. Warrant further investigation.
What a coincidence. I just happened to find EcoSmartsearch the other day. Same idea as BlackIE and also uses Google.