Trying to remember a couple of games.....

wa4chq

I wish I could. We are talking about 2001 maybe. I've searched "lunar lander", "moon lander", "lander" and nothing in the "images" on google or bing show the game. It isn't side-scrolling. Vector style graphics, at least that is how I would describe it. You have a set amount of fuel to land the LM. You see the lunar surface below and you toggle certain keys to thrust ahead, side-to-side and up. You look for one of many flags to land at. You need to arrive at that spot and still have enough fuel to slow descent, otherwise if too fast you crash or if you use up the fuel with too many course adjustments you drop like a rock and also crash. You don't see the LM, you are "in it". The style of graphics are like an early tank battle game I remember seeing..."battle flag"???? I'd have to look that name up.....that's the best I can do to describe it.

• Like 1

securitybreach

I wish I could. We are talking about 2001 maybe. I've searched "lunar lander", "moon lander", "lander" and nothing in the "images" on google or bing show the game. It isn't side-scrolling. Vector style graphics, at least that is how I would describe it. You have a set amount of fuel to land the LM. You see the lunar surface below and you toggle certain keys to thrust ahead, side-to-side and up. You look for one of many flags to land at. You need to arrive at that spot and still have enough fuel to slow descent, otherwise if too fast you crash or if you use up the fuel with too many course adjustments you drop like a rock and also crash. You don't see the LM, you are "in it". The style of graphics are like an early tank battle game I remember seeing..."battle flag"???? I'd have to look that name up.....that's the best I can do to describe it.

I will try again tomorrow.

Here, play Zork for a while. It'll distract you from that other game you can't find...

http://zorkonline.net/

What the heck is Zork, you might be asking?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zork

A fascinating fact about Zork,

Zork I is featured in Activision's 2010 game Call of Duty: Black Ops as an Easter egg. In the main menu of the game, the player can get up from a chair and find a computer. Typing "zork" into this computer will start Zork I. Zork I is fully playable within Call of Duty: Black Ops. Zork was also featured in the book version of Ready Player One by Ernest Cline as the challenge to find the Jade key.

:breakfast:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes...

You're standing just east of an old house. There's a mailbox next to you.

> open mailbox

There's a leaflet in the mailbox.

> get leaflet

You now have a leaflet.

> read leaflet

The leaflet says, "PLAY ZORK, DUMMY! IT'S FUN!" ;)

Well, I thought I was gonna mess with the desktop in storage but other things came up...namely getting temporary a/c units installed over at folks place. I got a call last week from them saying the heat pump went out. Well they are still waiting on the HVAC folks to remedy the problem. In the mean time I've got two portables going.....while putting the window unit in today my mind was on Linux.

• Like 1

Either of these?

http://users.telenet...es/LSS/lss.html

Interesting article and download for a 1969 Lunar Lander game here

https://www.technolo...9/lunar-lander/

Hey zlim...thanks for the links but no, that is not it. When playing the game, you do not see the LM because you are in it guiding it down to the lunar surface. Vector-wire type graphics....and kinda 3-d.

V.T. Eric Layton

In my imagination it really does exist....I can see it now...

That's the important thing. Acceptance. Healing can begin now. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was messing with Archbang today...using I3. One of the hotkeys I had trigger a dmenu for a few games I had. On it were barrage, mahjongg, pysol and xlander! But it wouldn't run. So I started looking for it. This had to be the game I've been talking about. But it isn't on this hard drive! I originally had AB on an Acer laptop that died but I had backed up lots of config files....anyway, I found a package list I made and to confirm it was from AB I located pacman. Further on down I found xlander 1.0-1 !!! Searching Bing.com I found:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/xlander

• Like 1

that's the game! But I forgot about being able to see the lander itself....I am not able to get online with my laptop due to tower being out...again! but maybe this afternoon late I can go online to check it out.....well, I checked using the phone....eureka! Thats it!

Edited by wa4chq
  • Like 3

yeah....just weird With all the searching we all did, images included we couldn't find it?

Now I need to see if it's still available!

Well it is on Github https://github.com/haochending/XLander

I don't know if that's the same game....it talks about meteors and I never saw any when I played the game.....but thanks for the link all the same....

I discovered it early in my linux career....and I bet it was when I installed Debian Woody. A friend of mine burned cd's for me and I remember being impressed with all the stuff that came with Woody. I just found in their full pkg list for Debian 3.0 this:

xlander 19920427-4........ the search continues.

Edited by wa4chq

Just go buy STALKER and play that. You'll never play any other game again. ;)

No way! This is my Hardy Boy moment...I'm gonna find, install and play this game again!

• Like 1