Arch linux articles through the ages.

abarbarian

A Quick Review Of Antergos Arch Based Linux Distro (2017)

is a rolling release Linux distribution based on
. It is developed with simplicity in mind. It provides a fully configured system with defaults that make it usable right out of the box. Antergos is designed for all users from experts and developers to newbies. It is pretty impressive what the developers of distro have made. Let’s check it out.

has never been a distro for Linux newbies. The installation is something for only advanced users. But with Antergos, all the hassle of setting up Arch is taken away and replaced with a pretty straightforward and easy to use installer. Cnchi is one of two key things about Antergos, allowing Linux newbies to easily install Arch and set up a desktop with a very easy to use GUI based installer. The second is the Numix connection. The numix desktop and icon themes make Antergos quite beautiful, refined and tasteful in behavior and style. If you are interested in Arch but find the installation intimidating, you should definitely check out Antergos.

:breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

While a graphical installer is nice, I would not suggest that new users use Antegros as they would be completely lost when it comes to system administration. Antegros is just vanilla archlinux with some additional repos and some branding (grub and login manager) so when it comes time to troubleshoot, users are completely lost as they do not understand how it was put together. This could be said for any OS really but when it comes to doing something besides installing a package, you are still required to open up the terminal and manually configure things just like any other archlinux installation.

Hopefully that makes sense as it is still early for me.... B)

Thanks -- good review!

While a graphical installer is nice, I would not suggest that new users use Antegros as they would be completely lost when it comes to system administration.

I agree. I'm running Antergos and I think it's a very nice distro but I think it helps a lot that I've installed Arch a few times.

• Like 2

While a graphical installer is nice, I would not suggest that new users use Antegros as they would be completely lost when it comes to system administration. Antegros is just vanilla archlinux with some additional repos and some branding (grub and login manager) so when it comes time to troubleshoot, users are completely lost as they do not understand how it was put together. This could be said for any OS really but when it comes to doing something besides installing a package, you are still required to open up the terminal and manually configure things just like any other archlinux installation.

Hopefully that makes sense as it is still early for me.... B)

Never used it meself as I run Arch. It looks like a neat way to get an Arch install up and running fairly easily though as it has the nice installer and choice of desktop and a few useful programs.

Your right about the system maintenance being a tad tricky for newcomers but it is not that hard to read up on pacman and stuff in the wiki. Keeping a basic Arch with a few common programs running is pretty easy really. An it is pretty stable and reliable with very little to do. That is what I have found anyways.

• Like 1

I like Antergos a lot. It has a particularly nice desktop theme and is a good looking distro out of the box.

However I still prefer Arch itself. Maybe I don't have as nice a desktop as I could get from Manjaro or Antergos but I did learn a lot and Arch itself is lightweight, stable and easy to use after you get it working.

• Like 2

ArchStrike – Turn your Arch Linux as Ethical hacking distribution (2016)

Today, let me introduce ArchStrike, an Arch Linux repository for security professionals and enthusiasts who use Arch Linux as their base OS. It is specially optimized for i686, x86_64, ARMv6, and ARMv7 architectures. Unlike other security oriented Linux distributions like BlackArch and Kali Linux, ArchStrike doesn’t come as a standalone Linux distribution. It is a repository that has plethora of security and penetration tools. Simply put, It is security a penetration testing and security layer on top of Arch Linux, and is carefully crafted for learning Ethical hacking. However, the developers are working on an ISO to be released soon.

ArchStrike is formerly known as ArchAssault, and then renamed to ArchStrike lately.

Arch strike hone site,

https://archstrike.org/

The Archstrike site has a excellent wiki section dealing with package building for Arch.

https://archstrike.o...uting/pkgbuild

Enjoy

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

securitybreach

Neat! I wonder how different this is from BlackArch and can you simply add their repos to vanilla archlinux? BlackArch simply made a repo for various security AUR packages.

Neat! I wonder how different this is from BlackArch and can you simply add their repos to vanilla archlinux? BlackArch simply made a repo for various security AUR packages.

ArchStrike doesn’t come as a standalone Linux distribution. It is a repository that has plethora of security and penetration tools.

As to how simple it is to add their repo to a Arch install ,,,,,,well that depends on how clever you are and your definition of simple :Muahaha:

securitybreach

ArchStrike doesn’t come as a standalone Linux distribution. It is a repository that has plethora of security and penetration tools.

As to how simple it is to add their repo to a Arch install ,,,,,,well that depends on how clever you are and your definition of simple :Muahaha:

Well opening up /etc/pacman.conf with a text editor and adding the entry at the bottom is pretty simple thing to do. Then run pacman -Syy. That's it.

• 3 weeks later...

Installing Arch Linux Using Revenge Graphical Installer (2017)

Installing Arch Linux is not a piece of cake for everyone, especially for the newbies. Well, not anymore. We have already posted a guide about Arch Anywhere. It is a simple, easy-to-follow graphical installer script that allows you to install a fully functional, custom Arch Linux system with graphical desktop environment and extra software without much hassle. Like Arch Anywhere, there is another installer script is available on the market. Meet Revenge installer, an yet another graphical installer that helps you to easily install Arch Linux with GUI and other useful softwares. I don’t know why the developer has chosen this name. It seems a weird name for a Linux distribution. But this script just worked fine and does exactly what it says.

I must say I have not tried out this REVENGE as it does not at this moment support UEFI. However unlike other installers it does give you some control over what is installed. For instance you can install yaourt or not install it.

The WM/DE section is disappointing in that there is no mention of Window Maker but there looks to be a good choice of programs in the various program sections.

One major plus for this installer is the fact that you can choose from four kernels. You also are asked if you want to install VirtualBox utilities.

All in all apart from the usage of "newbies" in the article this seems to be a very useful tool for new users to get up and running with Arch if using older hardware.

Betty – The Siri-like Commandline Virtual Assistant For Linux

Want to use your pc just with your voice like they do in the movies ? Well now you can command your Arch without lifting a finger.

Betty is somewhat similar to Apple’s Siri personal assistant or Google Voice Search feature. It is a friendly English-like interface for your command line that translates English-like phrases into Linux commands. You don’t need to google your question or don’t even need to refer the man pages. Just ask your questions in simple English sentences, and Betty will instantly do what you just said. In this brief tutorial, I will show you how to install and use Betty in Linux.

HAL open the pod doors :Laughing:

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

Installing Arch Linux Using Revenge Graphical Installer (2017)

I must say I have not tried out this REVENGE as it does not at this moment support UEFI. However unlike other installers it does give you some control over what is installed. For instance you can install yaourt or not install it.

The WM/DE section is disappointing in that there is no mention of Window Maker but there looks to be a good choice of programs in the various program sections.

One major plus for this installer is the fact that you can choose from four kernels. You also are asked if you want to install VirtualBox utilities.

I have tried to use the revenge installer a couple of times but it never installs correctly using LUKS encryption. Well the bootloader does not point to the correct partition label which is a pain to fix later on. In Revenge's defense, this happens on most all of the 3rd party installers for archlinux (arch-anywhere, evolution, archlabs, feliz, etc.). I think it is a bug with the installer that they all use (I can't think of the name of it right now).

Betty – The Siri-like Commandline Virtual Assistant For Linux

Want to use your pc just with your voice like they do in the movies ? Well now you can command your Arch without lifting a finger.

Betty is somewhat similar to Apple’s Siri personal assistant or Google Voice Search feature. It is a friendly English-like interface for your command line that translates English-like phrases into Linux commands. You don’t need to google your question or don’t even need to refer the man pages. Just ask your questions in simple English sentences, and Betty will instantly do what you just said. In this brief tutorial, I will show you how to install and use Betty in Linux.

HAL open the bay doors :Laughing:

That is pretty interesting, I will have to check that one out. Thanks B)

BTW Betty is in the AUR repo. So instead of cloning the github repo, you can simply install it from the AUR.

pacaur -S betty

Yeah I picked up that it was in the AUR, it is not being developed but is useable apparently.

I looked at the git hub page and there is a link to this xkdc cartoon so the developer had a sense of humour.

Vaq7dFk.jpg

I also had a look at the iTunes module and wondered if you replaced "iTunes" with say QuodLibet or xmms or some other music player would the module still work ? Be nice if it did, would also be nice if you could raise and lower volume, I doubt I could expand the script to do that at the moment but it should be fairly easy to do.

Just noticed there is a module for cmus-remote shell music player so it should be fairly straight forward to use re-write a module for another player.

I like the idea of using voice for some simple tasks it appeals to my lazy outlook. :laugh:

The Revenge installer might be Calamares. Does Revenge work for non LUKS installs ? I do not have a working backup pc at the moment to try it out on as I have donated my old ssd I used in it to my sisters latest build.

securitybreach

The Revenge installer might be Calamares. Does Revenge work for non LUKS installs ? I do not have a working backup pc at the moment to try it out on as I have donated my old ssd I used in it to my sisters latest build.

That's the one I was trying to think of, Calamares..

securitybreach

The Revenge installer might be Calamares. Does Revenge work for non LUKS installs ? I do not have a working backup pc at the moment to try it out on as I have donated my old ssd I used in it to my sisters latest build

I do not know as I always encrypt..

• 7 months later...

Bluestar Gives Arch Linux a Celestial Glow

screenpreview.png

Bluestar Linux is a GNU/Linux distribution that features up-to-date packages, an impressive range of desktop and multimedia software in the default installation, and a live desktop DVD. The live session capability is one of Bluestar's more enticing qualities.

Bluestar uses only the KDE desktop, but it builds in an unusual array of settings options that let you create a look and feel not found in other KDE iterations.

The next thing I noticed was the unusual take Bluestar Linux presents on the KDE desktop. It offers a simplified design with the ability to alter the appearance with little effort.

The default Bluestar desktop shows three widgets: a row of folders to provide quick access to your personal documents by file types within the home folder; a hard drive usage widget; and a weather display. It's easy to remove any of these widgets or add others to the desktop.

The home site,

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bluestarlinux/?source=navbar

Bluestar Linux is an Arch Linux-based distribution, built with an understanding that people want and need a solid Operating System that provides a breadth of functionality and ease of use without sacrificing aesthetics. Bluestar is offered in three edtions - desktop, deskpro and developer - each tailored to address the needs of a variety of Linux users. Bluestar can be installed permanently as a robust and fully configurable operating system on a laptop or desktop system, or it can be run effectively as a live installer and supports the addition of persistent storage for those who choose not to perform a permanent installation.

A Bluestar Linux software respository is also maintained in order to provide additional tools and applications when needed or requested.

Bluestar provides the following features:

Up-to-date Kernel

Wide Variety of Applications - Always Current Versions

Full Development / Desktop / Multimedia Environment

A Arch that you can use on a stick with persistence and with a easy to use KDE who wouldn't want to give it a run. :D

It does look pretty neat. An it is in active development and has been on the go since 2013. So I am downloading it now and I have a spare stick at the moment so I'll give it a whirl and report back. :breakfast:

• 2 months later...

RaspArch Build 180402 :: Run Arch Linux on your new Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ computer

This version (180402) is my sixth build of RaspArch

The first version is from 150414. The second is from 151107. The third is from 160312 specially made for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. The fourth version is from 161205. The fifth version is from 171102. This version (180402) is especially made for the new Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+, but it can of course also be used on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and Raspberry Pi 2 Model B.

RaspArch is a “remaster” of Arch Linux ARM. The original compressed system is of 231 MB. After I have added the LXDE Desktop environment, PulseAudio, Firefox, Yaourt and Gimp the system increased a lot. RaspArch is a “ready-to-go” ARM system. It must be installed on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+, Raspberry Pi 3 Model B or Raspberry Pi 2 Model B computer.

Looks neat , though I am not so sure that yaourt is a good choice for a aur helper. :breakfast:

Looks neat , though I am not so sure that yaourt is a good choice for a aur helper. :breakfast:

Especially, considering that the project is dead:

https://wiki.archlin..._or_problematic

Well the AUR package has seen no action for over a year,

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/yaourt/

but the YAOURT GitHub page has seen commits in MARCH and MAY of this year.

https://github.com/archlinuxfr/yaourt

So is it dead or not ? Either way I do not care as I am still using pacaur. I tried aurman which was nice but has failed to build for the last few weeks. Helpers have been done to death in other places so I'd rather not pollute this thread with fluff. :th_run-around-smiley:

• 11 months later...
securitybreach

What are the best Arch Linux based distributions?

A rather quirky way to gain information on the many different Arch based distros. Nice to see that Arch itself makes it in second place just above Manjaro. :Laughing:

Well we know why that is....

"Arch Linux is too hard to install. I just want to click Next like other distros allow me to. I should be able to able to run Arch without learning anything or using a terminal."

:hysterical: B)

I used quotes as someone was telling me that a few weeks ago and I had to explain that Archlinux was not meant to ever be like that. It is made by developers for developers, literally:

Whereas many GNU/Linux distributions attempt to be more user-friendly, Arch Linux has always been, and shall always remain user-centric. The distribution is intended to fill the needs of those contributing to it, rather than trying to appeal to as many users as possible. It is targeted at the proficient GNU/Linux user, or anyone with a do-it-yourself attitude who is willing to read the documentation, and solve their own problems.

https://wiki.archlin...User_centrality

It's one thing if you have the desire to learn but expecting things to fit your needs, just because it became popular, is both sad and annoying to those who love the DIY attitude of Archlinux.

• Like 1

It's one thing if you have the desire to learn but expecting things to fit your needs, just because it became popular, is both sad and annoying to those who love the DIY attitude of Archlinux.

I hear ya. There's been a flood of new Debian users lately at forums.debian.net who just refuse to try to help themselves, basically help vampires. A topic was started a couple of days ago by an old-school contributor lamenting the old days of n00b-flaming and suggesting we bring it back.

http://forums.debian...p?f=20&t=142631

Here's a hilarious example of what we have to deal with. Why would anyone think this could possibly do anything useful? User came back later asking why they couldn't install anything. :teehee: This failed because of syntax but the thinking behind it is fatally flawed.

hack3rcon wrote:Hello.

Why with "sudo" command some tasks can't be done? For example:

$ sudo cat /dev/null > sources.list bash: sources.list: Permission denied

• Like 1

securitybreach

I hear ya. There's been a flood of new Debian users lately at forums.debian.net who just refuse to try to help themselves, basically help vampires. A topic was started a couple of days ago by an old-school contributor lamenting the old days of n00b-flaming and suggesting we bring it back.

While I understand what he means, there is a clear distinction between those who are beginners but are eager and those who do not care to learn.

I've had a mixed opinion on the popularity of Linux and what that entails. I kind of preferred when it wasn't as accessible to people because those that used Linux did so because of a desire to learn, not because it was the cool thing to do. As you all know, I enjoy helping others and sharing knowledge but some of it has gotten out of hand. I mean, think of all the foolish people running Kali who do not even understand basic networking and/or linux. Then they join the forums asking how to hack and stupid stuff like that. I do not frequent Kali forums or care to but I see it other places.

While I am super glad that they majority of devices on the planet run Linux, it's also a curse of sorts for those who enjoy learning and helping others learn.

securitybreach

It's nice that there are a lot of distros and devices that run Linux without requiring any intervention and are perfect for those that just want to do things on a computer and do not care about computing itself. I am referring to the type of person who is trying to get you to walk them through compiling a kernel but they do not even know how to open a terminal yet and then get mad when you try to help them.

While I understand what he means, there is a clear distinction between those who are beginners but are eager and those who do not care to learn.

Indeed there is. There are a lot of heartwarming stories of people who came as beginners and ended up as valuable contributors. I guess we've all been there!

I mean, think of all the foolish people running Kali who do not even understand basic networking and/or linux. Then they join the forums asking how to hack and stupid stuff like that. I do not frequent Kali forums or care to but I see it other places.

Haha yeah. There's another new thread at FDN about nescient Kali (attempted) users. Kali has a strictly moderated forum so questions from these users never get posted. They end up at FDN where they get told that Kali is not Debian and is for expert pentesters so go back to Kali forums.

securitybreach

Plus, Kali is very insecure out of the box. Lots of running services with no security and default root passwords among other things. It's not meant to run all the time.

I suppose the linux forums are getting an influx of people who always ran Windows and now with Win 7 almost at its end, they decide "I'll install linux and run it instead of Windows". The truly clueless.

I see them at the Windows forums I go to. I discourage them from installing anything linux and instead encourage them to grab a bunch of USB sticks and learn how to create a live stick for several different distros. I want them to see if they can figure out linux: first hurdle, getting on the internet.

• Like 1

securitybreach

That is a good way to go about it or simply direct them to install LinuxMint. There are plenty of distros that are easy for any one to use without many adjustments. You just have to tell them that they cannot use window's applications and direct them to the massive software catalog in the software centers.