Help me choose my new computer, please.

Teffy

How ironic ... my PC is "dead as a door nail," and I just got a couple calls from the "ITECH Alert" AMMYY scammers.

Edited by Teffy

How difficult is it to do a fresh install of Windows 7 from a Microsoft DVD?

I'm wondering if I might ultimately need to install Windows 7 on my new PC if I can't get my Acronis True Image back up restored on the new PC.

I ask because I'm trying to decide whether or not to have the makers of my new PC install Windows 7 for me instead of doing it myself.

securitybreach

Actually it is not hard but it is more difficult than installing LInux.

Plus you will probably have to install the drivers as well unlike Linux... ;)

• Like 1

Actually it is not hard but it is more difficult than installing LInux.

Plus you will probably have to install the drivers as well unlike Linux... ;)

Drivers are definitely the issue.
  • Like 2

securitybreach
Drivers are definitely the issue.

Well as much as I hate to say it, Microsoft has gotten better with drivers... You will not have as many drivers not being found on Windows 7

• Like 1

I just sent this email to the company assembling my new PC. If you have advice, please share it with me.

"Hello again,

If I add Windows 7 to my order, do you folks install it or just send the CD/DVD?

I'm wondering if I might ultimately need to install Windows 7 on my new PC if I can't get my Acronis True Image back up restored on the new PC.

The system hard drive on the PC I bought from your company years ago died. I just bought a new hard drive locally and installed it. My efforts to restore my Acronis True Image system backup onto the new drive have not yet been successful (perhaps because the original drive contained two partitions.). With Acronis I was able to create a new partition on the new drive, but I cannot boot from it. Perhaps I need to also create a second partition which was on the original drive.

I don't know/remember how difficult it is to install Windows, so I am tempted to ask your company to add Windows to the PC I recently ordered...

Please advise.

Thank you,

Stephanie"

And Endpcnoise replied:

Hi there, I would probably recommend purchasing an OS. Windows 7 is not very difficult to install but I don't believe the Acronis True Image will work on the machine. You should be able to pull the files you need off of it or at the very least be able to access the drive itself but imaging that drive onto the Windows load we plan to install will not work correctly.

Please let me know if you'd like me to add Windows 7 to your order and what version.

Thank you

Edited by Teffy

My thought would be win 7 professional, but I'm sure others will have more informed opinions. I haven't used windows myself since 2k, but did get win 7 pro on laptop for my mother.

• Like 1

Thanks ebrke. I just added Windows 7 Professional 64 bit to the order for my new PC. The seller says "All of our machines ship out with the physical Windows CD and product key. We will also include a restore DVD should you need to reinstall windows without having to install all of the drivers again."

Sweet. However,I still can't resist trying to enlist the help of a Linux Live CD to revive my old/dead PC. I didn't realize just how much I depend on my PC* until it was out of commission.

*even though I also have an iPad!

Edited by Teffy
  • Like 1

. . . The seller says "All of our machines ship out with the physical Windows CD and product key. We will also include a restore DVD should you need to reinstall windows without having to install all of the drivers again."

That's quite something these days! Lenovo gave me zilch with the Thinkpad I bought for my mom last year. I created the windows restore disks myself using the utility.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On my old computer, I would like to try to use a Linux Live CD to get my brand-new hard drive ready to accept the restoration of an Acronis True Image system back up. I wandered around http://linuxmint.com/ looking for such instruction, but have not yet found it. Can anyone help me find the information?

Thank you!

I'm not proposing that you actually buy a dvd, but if you go to the page where you could do that, the media is referred to as "install/Live DVD".

https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/linuxmint?affiliate=linuxmint

I'm thinking that if you downloaded one of the offerings from the Downloads page, you might find that you could use it as a live dvd.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

• Like 1

On my old computer, I would like to try to use a Linux Live CD to get my brand-new hard drive ready to accept the restoration of an Acronis True Image system back up.
What you propose sounds overly complicated.

Windows 7 has an excellent built in partitioning tool. Is Windows 7 installed?

On my old computer, I would like to try to use a Linux Live CD to get my brand-new hard drive ready to accept the restoration of an Acronis True Image system back up.
What you propose sounds overly complicated.

Windows 7 has an excellent built in partitioning tool. Is Windows 7 installed?

Windows 7 was installed on the old PC system drive which died - I replaced it with a brand new empty drive.

BTW, I am expecting my new PC to arrive today, and it will have Windows 7 installed.

securitybreach

Good deal.. You may want to try out linux (via livecd/usb) on your new machine to check it out. You can also run it virtually with virtualbox on your new rig as you have plenty of ram and such.

You may find that you like Linux more than windows as most of us here do.

How to install Linux Mint as a virtual machine using Windows in 5 easy steps

• Like 1

You may find that you like Linux more than windows as most of us here do.

Is there a way to run Windows "apps" within Linux? I do a lot with Microsoft Office, Photoshop, Dragon Naturally Speaking, Microsoft Money, etc.

Is there a way to run Windows "apps" within Linux? I do a lot with Microsoft Office, Photoshop, Dragon Naturally Speaking, Microsoft Money, etc.

Certain windows programs, yes. It's called Wine.

Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator") is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, Mac OSX, & BSD. Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop.

Here's a list of windows software that might run on Wine:

https://appdb.winehq.org/

and an "About Wine" page with a little info on the Wine Project:

https://www.winehq.org/about/

I've never used Wine myself, but I'm sure someone else will come along with more info if you're interested. Searching for "wine on linux" will give you lots of hits for general background.

• Like 1

Whoa. That is wild! Are there various "gotchas" here and there, or does it just work?

securitybreach

Whoa. That is wild! Are there various "gotchas" here and there, or does it just work?

Some work and some do not. Just search the winedb to see how your app runs.

Wine is not a full drop in replacement but a lot of applications work fine. There are some great alternatives for window's applications on Linux and they are completely free including an office suite that works with microsoft office files. http://www.linuxalt.com/

• Like 1