dying hard drive

réjean

securitybreach

I concur with Eric. That drive cannot be trusted, as the drive is dying.

Yup best to get what you can off of it because a dying drive will just stop working all of a sudden.

• Like 1

The magnets are worth keeping. :whistling:

I didn't know that. I must have half a dozen or more dead hds hanging around.

dDq1mdb.jpg

Wow! With all the dead hds around here I could have several clocks telling me what is Roger's time, and yours, and Eric and others.

• Like 1

When you suspect something wrong with your hard drive, first focus on saving your data. Diagnostics, repair should be done after.

Deskstar drives used to be IBM (had 3 which all failed within 6 months,back then it was also known as 'deathstar'), sold to Hitachi and then to Western Digital.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Cluttermagnet

Those drive magnets are often very powerful- like 75 pounds or so. I remember buying four of them mail order. They arrived properly packed in a metal shield, possibly 'mu-metal', to contain the fields. I proceeded to make a 'magnetic rake' using a piece of 1 by 2 and an old closet rod for the handle. It is very good for dragging around the driveway or the lawn. It captures pretty much every piece of ferrous metal out there. So- refrigerator magnet? I'm not sure I'd use them that way. They're too darned strong. I'd be worried about putting dents in the cabinet trying to pull the magnet off.

Which reminds me- I have probably a half dozen dead hard drives here, mostly real old ones, but all of the 3.5 inch size. Need to dissemble them for the magnets before I recycle them at our local recycling place. BTW I do have one hard drive which is 5-1/4 in size. Looks really weird, kind of like a big, flat plate- sort of. It still works, too. I was looking at it the other day. It's probably about 2G in size.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

V.T. Eric Layton

I have a pile of 3.5 hdds, too. However, I don't have the right sized (Torx?) fitting to take them apart. I could drill them out, but haven't gotten that energetic... maybe late this fall when I go out there and start to tinker during the nice (cooler) weather.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Those drive magnets are often very powerful- like 75 pounds or so. I remember buying four of them mail order. They arrived properly packed in a metal shield, possibly 'mu-metal', to contain the fields. I proceeded to make a 'magnetic rake' using a piece of 1 by 2 and an old closet rod for the handle. It is very good for dragging around the driveway or the lawn. It captures pretty much every piece of ferrous metal out there. So- refrigerator magnet? I'm not sure I'd use them that way. They're too darned strong. I'd be worried about putting dents in the cabinet trying to pull the magnet off.

Which reminds me- I have probably a half dozen dead hard drives here, mostly real old ones, but all of the 3.5 inch size. Need to dissemble them for the magnets before I recycle them at our local recycling place. BTW I do have one hard drive which is 5-1/4 in size. Looks really weird, kind of like a big, flat plate- sort of. It still works, too. I was looking at it the other day. It's probably about 2G in size.

Great idea on the magnetic rake for yard and driveway.

Would be great for accidents like a jar/can of nails that accidentally falls over and spills on the floor too! ;)

For screw drivers that need to be magnetic, might take less time to magnetize them (Genie magic lamp style) :w00t:

Great degausser too for drives if 'glued' into large grouping on a flat surface using epoxy maybe? After I thought of this, I went searching to see if this was possible and found this survivalist board topic:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=109578

BTW: if you slide the magnets to the side of the door on the refrigerator, they slide right off without any dents on the equipment. ;)