abarbarian

Hedon James

The British & red coat comment makes me think of an old Bill Cosby sketch where he speculates what would happen if every battle/war started with a coin toss, like sports, with the winner determining the rules of engagement. It goes something like this:

Captain Washington of the Settlers, this is Captain Gage of the British; Captain Gage of the British, this is Captain Washington of the Settlers. Call the toss Captain Gage... Captain Gage calls heads...(pause)...it's tails. You lose the toss. What are you gonna do, Captain Washington? (LONG pause) Captain Washington says his team will wear whatever colors they want, shoot from behind rocks, trees, and everywhere! He also says you're team must wear red, and march in a straight line!

Funny stuff, at least in America.

• Like 1

We had some Bill Cosby LPs when I was growing up. I remember that routine, but I don't remember which album it was on. That's from a long way back!

Hedon James

Maybe the same album as this?

Bill Cosby - Toss Of The Coin

OMG! That's it! I used to listen that album on my dad's stereo, over & over. Practically had it memorized as a young fella. Great find!

Hedon James

I have over 300 vinyl albums in my collection, which have since been digitized into mp3 format and backed up to cd media. My kids, all born in the 90s, took one look at the large black grooved disc i had pulled out of its jacket & sleeve, and innocently wondered "how did it fit in the cd player?" True story!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Window maker has moved on quite a bit in the last eight months or so. It is easier to install in Arch and I have already had a quick looksee at some of the Dock apps, most of which worked. I should be back posting any tips I come across. If folks want to chip in with tips and guides that would be fab.

Here is a neat way to add a "shutdown" single click feature to your WM.

5nK5acN.png

1 Right click on the Dock at top right.

2 Type in " systemctl poweroff" as shown in the screen shot.

3 Click OK.

4 Mouse over the Dock and middle click the mouse.

5 You should now have a black screen and a pc that is shutting down.

6 Done.

:clap:

If you can wait then step four can be delayed until you normally need to shut down the pc. :devil:

securitybreach

That is one thing about WindowMaker, they are consistent. It basically looks the same as it did years ago or is that just your theme?

Nope same old same old. That is just the basic Arch install though I have added a few icons to the dock. Pretty fuggly it is as I have not had chance to pretty it up yet.That is almost at the top of my list of things to do. :th_1sm330office-work:

By the way as I know you folks across the pond are keen on court cases you should really post Window Maker as WindowMaker is copyright protected. :devil:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
abarbarian

Well I finally , after an almost two year break, made it back to Arch and Window Maker. Seems the world has not quite made the trasition yet so I'll be posting more propaganda soon to see if I can change the world. :Muahaha:

mo5zLrE.jpg

Though I really like to make up my own theme with the addition of non standard tux icons I found this site with a ton of themes. Some of them date back to 2002 and I was curious as to whethewr they would still work in this modern Window Maker. The one I chose, Tornado (2006), I felt matched my personality and lifestyle. To my suprise it runs perfectly well and I will try Zakynthos (2002) just out of curiosity. Install is simply a matter of downloading, moving the file and extracting, then it appears in the menu and a click has it installed and running. :breakfast:

http://www.jessanderson.org/wmthemes/doc/sky_scenery.html

Took a half minute break to install Zakynthos and here is the screenshot,

yp8TXFt.jpg

Pretty neat stuff, a quick change in less than a couple of minutes from start to finish. There are enough themes on that site to enable a different look for almost eighteen months. :th_thyippee:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

abarbarian

Having fun with my new pc and the faster broadband and oh so happy to be back in Arch and Window Maker. Always wanted to make some screencasts but felt there was no point with my old broadband and older kit as it would have been oh so slow.

With my new set up things are a tad different. Found "vokoscreen" which is a simple but effective screencaster and duly gave it a run. Have not set up sound yet and this is my first ever go at screencasting so I doubt I'll be getting any Oscar nominations.

The video shows me changing themes in WM and installing an old theme I made a few years ago. Seems I was using the theme as a template whilst I was learning about themes and I seem to have several copies with the same name but different internals. Confusion ensued but the fault was found and easily fixed. Hopefully with this demo video you can gain a feeling of just how easy WM is to use.

Naturally after this demo you will all want to install WM :good2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ennnsgv8mos8jyb/vokoscreen-2017-06-07_12-12-10.mkv?dl=0

You can download the video or view it in Dropbox. (6 min/ 15.3 MiB)

Enjoy.

• Like 1

I like your Camden Town Theme. Camden Town is a really cool spot to get wallpaper pics ...like this one from 2013.

TABI859_zpscfrtsvk1.jpg

• Like 1

abarbarian

I like your Camden Town Theme. Camden Town is a really cool spot to get wallpaper pics ...like this one from 2013.

TABI859_zpscfrtsvk1.jpg

Camden Town ah the memories from the 70's/80's, it is a tad smarter than way back then. :breakfast:

We have visited London many times over the years. I first went there in 1981. Then in the late 1990s we went there often on our March school breaks. Also visited in 2006, 2008, 2012 and 2013. It took until 2013 before we actually got to see Camden Town. There is a lot of stuff to see in London and even though Camden Town was on the bucket list it took a while to get there.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

I've never been to London... but England, Scotland, Ireland, Finland, Spain, Norway, Sweden, etc. are all on the bucket list.

• Like 2