SpaceFM anyone given this a blast ??

abarbarian

• 8 months later...

Whoooopeeeeeee did some updating in Arch yesterday and suddenly SpaceFM is loading as quick as a flash and is no longer using 100% cpu at startup and shutdown.

Now if only I can figure out how to get mousepad as me default text editor instead of abiword. :'(

V.T. Eric Layton

SpaceFM, the final frontier. Abarbarian's five your mission to seek out and explore alternative file managers.

"Dammit, Jim! I'm a Dolphin, not a Windows Explorer user."

• Like 1

Eh, I still like pcmanfm much better than spacefm when I use a graphical fm.

I'll have to give it a try this winter as you keep on banging on about it. :happyroll:

Funnily enough they have just started from Ep1 the original Star Trek tv series, remastered, on the Horror Channel. Which I can now receive as after three years gathering dust I erected and set up me satellite dish. :bounce:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

i've replaced thunar and pcmanfm with spacefm, i read about it on google plus linux community i think, it's really nice, i like it better than thunar or pcmanfm

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I just made a fresh install of Arch and am trying to get Spacefm to work and am having a great deal of difficulty for some reason.

I have installed udevil as suggested by the spacefm folk.

I have managed to get spacefm to allow me to mount extra drives but only as root. Spacefm will not let me copy over files and folders from external drives to the Arch drives as root or user. I need to be ab;e to do this normally but especially now as I need to copy over config files to finish of my new install.

So can anyone help me to get spacefm to allow me to mount drives as root and user and do normal copy paste stuff ???

I have scoured the net and read everything I can find but the solution evades me.

Ta in advance folks.

:whistling:

Yes I read that.It runs in the background and mounts cd/usb when they are plugged in and possibly external esata/usb drives. No tsure if that will be for users and root or just root.

What I want when I start spacefm is to have all drives mounted and available for root and user and if I plug in extra drives they will be mounted straight away. I have a esata external dock that I use four drives with, one at a time of course.

:'(

Are you using udiskie: https://wiki.archlin...dex.php/udiskie

It works beautifully with pcmanfm so it should work with spacefm

Well I have been trying to set up udevil as that is what is recommended for spacefm by the developer. I can get stuff to auto mount but only as root. I should be able to set it up so user can access discs without having to input a password, but am struggling to do so.

:breakfast:

securitybreach

Well I have been trying to set up udevil as that is what is recommended for spacefm by the developer. I can get stuff to auto mount but only as root. I should be able to set it up so user can access discs without having to input a password, but am struggling to do so.

Try udiskie. It is very simple with no configuration required. Just install it and add udiskie & to your ~/.xinitrc before your environment and your good to go. `

Here is mine for reference: http://ix.io/drP

Well I may. However I do not like to be beaten. I will figure out how to do what I want eventually. I thought I had it cracked last night and I may have found a partial solution but it seems to have given me new puzzles to solve.

I have been reading up on the default mount options for various file systems and thought I had made a breakthrough, instead I have a new puzzle.

I am learning a lot, filling in some gaping chasms in my knowledge base so the time is not wasted.

Is your fstab set up with user mount options? For ntfs and fat you may need uid and gid as well.

Do your mount points have user permissions?

Just vague ideas here but some distros/DEs set these up automatically and some don't.

What I want when I start spacefm is to have all drives mounted and available for root and user and if I plug in extra drives they will be mounted straight away. I have a esata external dock that I use four drives with, one at a time of course.

Just out of curiosity, when you plug in a flash drive is it mounted and available as expected?

By the way, I don't think this has been mentioned here yet: IgnorantGuru’s Hiatus