Women in Open Source computing.

abarbarian

abarbarian

Slightly off-topic, has anyone else seen The Bletchley Circle (drama/mystery) on PBS? Pretty good.

Think they are up to series two. Very good series indeed. :breakfast:

OPW Intern Develops QR Code for Linux Kernel Oops Messages

Linux kernel debugging may soon be a bit easier for kernel developers and users in the field thanks to the work of Outreach Program for Women intern Teodora Băluţă.

:breakfast:

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Linux Poetry Explains the Kernel, Line By Line (2014)

Over the past few months she's begun to teach herself how the Linux kernel works by studying text books, including Understanding the Linux Kernel, Unix Network Programming, and The Unix Programming Environment. But instead of taking notes, she weaves the new terminology and ideas she learns into poetry about system architecture and programming concepts.

:biggrin:

• Like 2

Lateral thinking .I heartily approve of that. I am also a firm believer that more women in "business/politics/education" can only lead to a better world. I say set them all free and listen to their voice. No More 2nd citizens any where on our planet .

• Like 2

Guest LilBambi

I know you are a busy bee. What you need is less hours and more loot for the ones you do. My post was jocular though it would be interesting to see if they would consider you for the job. If they did offer a interview that would be a ego boost an they may be offering mega bucks. :laugh:

They did consider me but nothing in the telecommute area available as yet. They have my resume pkg thanks to Aryeh.

securitybreach

They did consider me but nothing in the telecommute area available as yet. They have my resume pkg thanks to Aryeh.

Very cooL!

• 3 weeks later...

Girls' skills are needed in tech (2014)

ChickTech is based in Portland but plans to be nationwide by 2016. After interviewing Jennifer Davidson about how ChickTech gets girls involved in tech, I have high hopes it's even sooner.

The non-profit targets girls who would never nominate themselves to participate in a tech workshop and who wouldn't dream of a career in tech. Why? Because they've never had someone believe their skills were valuable in that world. I believe that our society understands that girls' skills are needed in tech, we've just needed support for our girls like we've shown for our boys.

Each ChickTech chapter (currently Portland, Corvallis, and San Francisco) has a leadership team whose job it is to organize volunteers to run events for the ChickTech: High School program. We implemented leadership teams with a goal of building community amongst local tech professionals and university students; these volunteers work together to make positive change in their communities by introducing girls to technology.

There you are Eric an opportunity.Either be a volunteer or go for chapter leader.

We use and promote open source tools and products because we want to lower the cost barrier to entry for the girls. We want them to be able to install and use these tools when they get home to continue their projects. For example, our website design and creation workshop uses Drupal, and we use open hardware (Arduino) for our soft circuits workshop. In our computer construction course, we teach girls how to install Ubuntu on a desktop machine that they built (and that they get to take home!).

Personally, I am passionate about open source and open knowledge, and I think it’s a fabulous way to share knowledge and ensure that people from all backgrounds have access to tech.

Super project. :th_Smileywave:

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Great! Just what I need. It's bad enough that I'm competing with pimply-faced 19 year old male nerds for tech positions, but now you want me to compete with this too?

REMOVED MALWARE URL**

Edited by LilBambi
** REMOVED MALWARE URL -- ESET picked up on it and blocked it here but could harm Windows computers

V.T. Eric Layton

tl:dw

However, I got the gist of it in the first five minutes or so.

She has a cute accent. ;)

Great! Just what I need. It's bad enough that I'm competing with pimply-faced 19 year old male nerds for tech positions, but now you want me to compete with this too?

REMOVED MALWARE URL**

My you are in the doldrums ain't you. :hmm:

No one is asking you to compete.

If you make the offer to help out ChickTech in your area, either as a chapter leader or just as a volunteer your name will be noted even if they do not take up your offer.

If they take up your offer then all sorts of doors will open. Yes you will have to get of your butt and do some free work.The upside is that your name will be noted most favourably by folk who matter in your area and nationally too.You will have the support of hundreds of women who will not only view you in a favourable light but will try to help you.An you can trust me on this, they will help you in all sorts of ways.You may not see the help they offer straight away but behind the scenes efforts will be made on your behalf.

Time to look at life and take action in a different way as your present way does not seem to be working. What have you got to loose ?

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Try to use image sites like imgur.com, photobucket, etc. instead of direct from websites. It's the good netizen way to do things anyway. It may not have been the image itself, but the URL was reporting as malware. Just because Linux users are safe, doesn't mean we should let our fellow Windows users suffer malware infections just to see a picture we liked from a search.

My you are in the doldrums ain't you. :hmm:

No one is asking you to compete.

If you make the offer to help out ChickTech in your area, either as a chapter leader or just as a volunteer your name will be noted even if they do not take up your offer.

If they take up your offer then all sorts of doors will open. Yes you will have to get of your butt and do some free work.The upside is that your name will be noted most favourably by folk who matter in your area and nationally too.You will have the support of hundreds of women who will not only view you in a favourable light but will try to help you.An you can trust me on this, they will help you in all sorts of ways.You may not see the help they offer straight away but behind the scenes efforts will be made on your behalf.

Time to look at life and take action in a different way as your present way does not seem to be working. What have you got to loose ?

That's very true. I get bottles of whiskey, apple pies, yummy ,home made jam. Divorced husbands old suits. Loads of stuff.

And all I do is fix the odd light.plumbing leak .and shift their old white goods.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

http://opensource.com/business/14/10/niki-acosta-interview-cisco-openstack

OpenStack has presented a huge opportunity for technologists at many levels. Niki Acosta is one of those technologists who strives to pull together all aspects of the OpenStack community for the betterment of everyone.

Niki is the Director of Cloud Evangelism at Metacloud, now a part of Cisco. Metacloud delivers private infrastructure as a service based on the popular and open source cloud platform, OpenStack. As an active OpenStack participant, tweeter, and blogger, she has become a recognized name in the cloud industry.

Find out more in my interview with Nikki.

Most interesting especially the motivation,

What are you most excited about in the realm of open source and cloud?

Technology is moving faster than ever before, and while it's painful for some, it's great for humanity. I imagine a future where we can use open source models and the technology we've built with open source software to tackle serious problems—from curing cancer to drastically reducing carbon emissions. Cloud computing is the foundation for self-driving cars, intelligent homes, and a host of applications that make life easier and better in so many ways. We're laying the foundation for a future that looks a lot different than it does now, and we're just scratching the surface of what's possible.

• 4 weeks later...

You can buy a

Barbie I Can Be Computer Engineer Barbie Doll

an you could buy a companion book but it has been withdrawn from sale for some reason

Mattel Pulls Sexist Barbie Book “I Can Be A Computer Engineer” Off Amazon

naturally women fought back

Barbie, Remixed: I (really!) can be a computer engineer.

an if you want to join in the fight you can

Help Barbie be the competent, independent, bad-*** engineer that she

wants to be.

:Muahaha:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
abarbarian

Changing Channels: Where to Work if You're a Woman in IT May 21, 2015

13 best companies for female IT pros May 19, 2015 02:04 pm

One key to recruiting and retaining more women in technology is representation: Organizations with women in visible leadership positions tend to attract other women. To recognize firms that both measure and actively work to change underrepresentation of women, the Anita Borg Institute (ABI), a nonprofit organization whose mission is to advance women in computing, released this month its annual list of top companies for women technologists leadership index.