Entire forum shows as unread....

ross549

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm not experiencing that, Adam. You sound as though you may have a corrupt cookie. Toss your cookies - restart browser. :)

I'm not experiencing that, Adam. You sound as though you may have a corrupt cookie. Toss your cookies - restart browser. :)

It was on more than just one device. I saw it on my iPhone last night, and then my main laptop this morning. Looks fine here at work....

Just an odd occurance.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Not happening here and I read the forums on several computers. That is odd Adam. Did you delete the cookies for the forums on those devices?

I did not, but I was able to mark the forum as read.

I really don't think it was a cookie thing, since it happened on two different devices. I don't think I would see the exact same behavior from a cookie problem on two different devices....

Adam

Nope. Using Chrome on OSX and IPB Buddy on the iPhone. I do believe IPB buddy uses the Safari rendering engine to display the page.

Adam

• 4 weeks later...

OK, it is popping up again. Now there are two threads in the Testing subforum that are now marked as unread.

http://imgur.com/vU0AA

I went into Safari (Never used it to go to these forums before) and I see the same thing. For some reason, these threads are being marked as unread at the database level. This cannot be a cookie issue, since the cookie does not store my forum history, only my login session. I access these forums with multiple browsers on multiple machines.

I am not sure what's going on, or why or how the database is getting incorrect data, but it is happening.

Adam

securitybreach

OK, it is popping up again. Now there are two threads in the Testing subforum that are now marked as unread.

http://imgur.com/vU0AA

I went into Safari (Never used it to go to these forums before) and I see the same thing. For some reason, these threads are being marked as unread at the database level. This cannot be a cookie issue, since the cookie does not store my forum history, only my login session. I access these forums with multiple browsers on multiple machines.

I am not sure what's going on, or why or how the database is getting incorrect data, but it is happening.

Adam

Odd that mine and Eric's do not show as unread. :ermm: :wacko: :unsure:

V.T. Eric Layton

Must be an Apple issue because I'm not seeing anything like your pic above using FF, Seamonkey, Opera in Slackware or Arch Linux. That's three distinct browsers in two different operating systems. Strange.

I looked last night and now today.

I can't figure put where Jeber's Forum Rules post is located nor Scot's Welcome because neither of those appears in Forum Feedback nor in the sub forums : Testing Subforum or Tips and Tricks on my Win 7 netbook nor my XP desktop (FF 15.0.1 on both)

What Adam is seeing is not appearing for me. I'll search and see where they may appear for me.

perkScot_links_subforums.jpg perkScot_links_tipsntricks.jpg

Edited by zlim

securitybreach

I looked last night and now today.

I can't figure put where Jeber's Forum Rules post is located nor Scot's Welcome because neither of those appears in Forum Feedback nor in the sub forums : Testing Subforum or Tips and Tricks on my Win 7 netbook nor my XP desktop (FF 15.0.1 on both)

What Adam is seeing is not appearing for me. I'll search and see where they may appear for me.

Well the Testing part is only for Admins/Mods but the Tips part is located here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showforum=42

V.T. Eric Layton

Liz, the forum default is set to only show threads from the last 90 days. You'll need to use the pulldown menu CUSTOM along the top of the forum list to choose a larger time frame.

Guest LilBambi

This just happened to me today. I also lost my color choice.

This was in Chrome. I somehow failed to remember (and change back the settings) that I chose to remove "Delete cookies and other site and plug-in data" when Clearing Browsing Date the last time I cleared them when I went to a site I hadn't intended to go.

Maybe this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear ya.

It is just items that were previously marked as read (in some cases from several months ago) that are mysteriously popping back up as unread. It seems to happen at random. Another couple threads in All Things Mac popped as unread a couple days ago.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

I had to fine-tune my CCleaner and MainMenu settings. So it didn't delete sessions in Chrome. Do you use something like those two items, or other crap cleaners?

Nope. I only close and relaunch chrome when asked to do so for an update.

With that siad, this has nothing to do with the browser. I see this at work, on my phone, and here at home on multiple devices.

Your thread viewing data is stored in the forum's database. That way, whereever I log in, even if it is a new machine, I can pick up right were I left off.

For some reason, my bits are getting flipped in the database.

Adam