Final thoughts on Windows 8: A design disaster - ZDNet Hardware 2.0

Guest LilBambi

I guess I will be in the minority by saying that I don't hate the name Modern. Windows Modern? Works for me, guess.

Adam

Windows Modern, as opposed to all the recent releases that were nothing but recycled, copied, or purchased carp.

When I think of Modern, it reminds me of a talk I went to a few years ago on Modern Art. The audience was surprised to find that Modern was anything from 1860 to approx 1970... :whistling:

Edited by raymac46

Since MS is moving away from "windows" and moving toward tiles and wants everything to be tapped or touched, why not TouchTiles version 1? TilesTouch v1? TapTiles v1. TileTap v1? Tap 'nTouchTiles v1? :harhar: (TTT for short?)

In Windows 8, we finally get a window-like logo and UI. But in the beginning, when Microsoft said, 'Let there be windows!' we got a 'desktop' instead. :teehee: This time, for names/labels, the metaphors should work. Why not call those tiles 'panes', and the UI, Outlook or Visio? :harhar:

Guest LilBambi

The problem is that they think they can tell people that it was always supposed to be Modern, when all their marketing was to the contrary. They never used codenames for final marketing like this and then changed it mid-stream.

They should just fess up and be done with it and move on.

When I think of Modern, it reminds me of a talk I went to a few years ago on Modern Art. The audience was surprised to find that Modern was anything from 1860 to approx 1970...

In terms of function and process, the new interface may be innovative, avant garde (which makes 'metro' a good name). But as visual design, it really is modernistic (a worldview that went out of fashion in the 60s). Its elements are simplifications, clean, orderly and structured. The name 'modern' is true to its appearance.

If I installed this OS would I lose the option (as I have with XP) to use a Windows Classic (looks like Win95/98) interface?

I wouldn't bet on it.

Why would you want to use a modern OS and have it look like something from the stone ages? For those people who are so against change and "new" things in Windows, I shake my head in disbelief. Ten years from now, with another new operating system from Microsoft, would you continue to want the look & feel of Win95/98? Good god I hope not my friend. Eventually you have to move on and adapt. We're talking technology here folks. If everything stayed the same, what would be the point? For those unwilling to adapt to changes, I say go out to your local garage sale, find a cheap Pentium III computer, and have fun with your Win98.

Edited by Tushman

If I installed this OS would I lose the option (as I have with XP) to use a Windows Classic (looks like Win95/98) interface?

Yes, unless a 3rd party comes up with a functional skin (highly doubtful).

[updated to fix incorrect information. AG]

Hello,

With Windows 8, after you log in the Start Screen is displayed with the 'Metro' app tiles displayed on it. To see the desktop, you need to press the Windows + D keys on your keyboard. Is that what you were asking about, Webb?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Edited by goretsky
Fixed incorrect info about function of Windows key from Start Screen.

Guest LilBambi

Unfortunately, you always have to boot into the UI formerly known as Metro, now known as Modern. They are making users do that first, btw. BEFORE going to any Desktop UI. From there, you do what Aryeh said to get to the Desktop as outlined here. Now you are at the Desktop UI and would likely have to have a third party add on to get any other UI on the Desktop UI side of things as crp noted (and as he said, unlikely for that but who knows, there were ones for Windows 7, but as far as the old 98/98SE Classic look .. I wouldn't hold your breath,, they even dropped Aero Glass).

I never liked the Luna theme for XP, so I soon had my desktop looking like Windows 2000. When I switched over to Windows 7 I found that the default desktop was pretty nice to look at and work with so - aside from changing the theme a little - I stuck with it.

With Windows 8 on the way I think the Windows 7 desktop will shortly be considered a classic in its own right.

I never liked the Luna theme for XP, so I soon had my desktop looking like Windows 2000. When I switched over to Windows 7 I found that the default desktop was pretty nice to look at and work with so - aside from changing the theme a little - I stuck with it.

With Windows 8 on the way I think the Windows 7 desktop will shortly be considered a classic in its own right.

Do you use Aero? I would miss the semi-transparency. Heck, I miss it when I use XP.

I like Aero. Even had KDE3 set up to look a bit like that before even Vista came out.

I'll be sticking with Windows 7 for quite a long time for those 2 programs I have that won't run well in Linux (Phoenix Flight Sim, and GTA4, maybe more games later). I tell ya, setting up GTA4 with Games For Windows Live Login, Rockstar Social Club login, Skype login, and SecureROM really drove home the point of how little freedom there is in the Windows world.

MS probably dropped Metro name due to it's connotations of Metrosexual, which is like a new name for Yuppie. Imagine, new MS Yuppie OS! :lol:

Hello,

I did not see a 'Windows Classic' theme included in the Release Preview of Windows 8, however, you may be able to get close to that experience by disabling the Themes service from the Services Control Manager.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

No, I was asking about whether 8 supports the "Windows Classic" theme.

windowsclassictheme.png

It does not.

MS probably dropped Metro name due to it's connotations of Metrosexual, which is like a new name for Yuppie. Imagine, new MS Yuppie OS! :lol:

They dropped it because it is already trademarked and linked to a product by another company.

They dropped it because it is already trademarked and linked to a product by another company.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. :D

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. :D

That is the story being circulated in all the technology "news". It might also be the truth, but I haven't done any fact checking.

Even though I do a fair bit of IT consultation for the neighborhood seniors, I intend to stay with Windows 7 as long as I can. Anyone who buys a new machine with Windows 8 will have to deal with my learning curve if they expect some help.

I never installed/purchased a machine with Vista but I have helped out some folks in our town who had it on their PCs.

Aside from the ugly Start Screen and a few other goodies like the Charms Bar I think Win 8 won't be that tough to decipher.

• 3 weeks later...