• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• securitybreach

• ross549

• Peachy

• amenditman

Guest LilBambi
Android version? I did not think they had anything yet considering they have a $500 bounty for someone to port Android to the device http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1229642
HP TouchPad Android Ports Already Under Way (Android Community):
An Android port for the TouchPad has already started and is picking up huge traction over the last 24-48 hours. ...While almost everything that has hit the market as of late has had a few geeks trying to port Android over, the TouchPad is in a much better position because so many have it and that price is just so stellar. I’m sure somewhere there is already a bit of progress on a full port, but the team at RootzWiki has a nice group of four developers and this is only the beginning....
Much more in the article.Touchdroid --Android for the HP Touchpad
All the Pre and Veer phones are on sale too... good luck finding one in stock... LOL
Doesn't surprise me. ;)
Here's a wiki page showing all the current info on the HP webOS devices and where to find out who has them in stock (and mostly who doesn't have them):http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.ph...62#edit41815736Adam
Forgot where that page was. Thanks! B)

Guest LilBambi
The New York Post is speculating from anonymous sources that Oracle may be making a hostile takeover bid for HP.
Check and mate! That's what that could turn out to be? They would have WebOS, continue to fight Google in court over Android and make a bundle in back hand deals from obvious sources?!Aw, that might be a sideline ... here's the NYP article:Autonomy buy could make HP an Oracle takeover targetWho knows if this is even someone's thinking at Oracle...But after this at NYP back in June ... certainly have seen worse for less embarrassment?HP targets rival Oracle

securitybreach
some of you mentioned buyin the hp tablet - who will perform the warranty service??
If I can get one, I am not worried about the warranty since it is only $99 and I will be replacing the stock OS immediately.Today the HP site changed from "Out of Stock" to "Coming soon. Please check back soon". I have been reloading the site all morning. It will probably be my luck and go on sale after I go to work :thumbsdown:Oh well, I guess I will be ordering my new video card instead, well on Tuesday.

Now that the Lord of iPad has retired from daily business, I wonder if a real consumer company would now be interested in webOS .Just goes to show what a loser of a decision HP made to get out of consumer and webOS. Oh, and there were a lot of people who didn't understand why HP chose a SAP guy after Fiorina and Hurd spent so much effort and money on building the consumer brand. I stand by my original post in this thread :wacko:

Have you gotten any shipping details yet?
No I have not. HP has stated that all orders placed before a certain time will be fulfilled. I placed mine almost a day prior, but I still cannot see anything about my order online.

securitybreach
Now that the Lord of iPad has retired from daily business, I wonder if a real consumer company would now be interested in webOS .Just goes to show what a loser of a decision HP made to get out of consumer and webOS. Oh, and there were a lot of people who didn't understand why HP chose a SAP guy after Fiorina and Hurd spent so much effort and money on building the consumer brand. I stand by my original post in this thread :wacko:
Well personally I think that most people are buying the Touchpad simply because of the hardware, price and due to the fact that the Android port will soon be finished. If it were not for the price, these tablets would of more than likely just stayed sitting on the shelves. If anything, HP bailed out of WebOS just in time and if they would of used Android in the first place, the tablets would not have such poor sales before the fire sale.That said, if HP would of invested some money and time, WebOS could of taken a place among Android and iOS as the leading mobile contenders.At least they did not go the route of Nokia, and just completely stop supporting their hardware and OS updates on the N8x series of internet tablets without any prior warning. I bought one of the Nokia N810s because the price went down (not as much as this one) and right afterwards they came out with the N900 phone/internet tablet. After the release of the n900, Maemo 4(the OS version the n810 came with) stopped getting updates and is basically stuck in 2008. It is still a neat device, but the software is ancient in computer years and no other OS can be installed on it. Atleast Maemo is a modified version of Debian so I do have some of the same Linux applications on the device.Sorry to get off track but I have basically witnessed the same thing with Nokia. Atleast, there is a good chance that Android will be fully working on the Touchpad, actually it is almost complete. I did try to buy the Touchpad yesterday at Bestbuy but they said they would not get the shipment till later on in the day and I had to work. Oh well, I already have a Android tablet, granted it is from last year but it works fine. If anyone decides they do not like their Touchpad, I will buy it from them. B)

Josh I wish you had a webOS TouchPad to play with.I am a big fan of Android, but...other than the lack of apps, webOS kicks it's butt.Also, getting into the guts of the system is so easy it's almost encouraged.Not like Android where you have to reverse engineer how to root and sideload stuff.I'm still dreaming that my theory will be true and Samsung will step up and be H/Palms new manufacturing partner for webOS devices. If my theory is right we will know in less than a couple of months.

securitybreach
Josh I wish you had a webOS TouchPad to play with.I am a big fan of Android, but...other than the lack of apps, webOS kicks it's butt.Also, getting into the guts of the system is so easy it's almost encouraged.Not like Android where you have to reverse engineer how to root and sideload stuff.I'm still dreaming that my theory will be true and Samsung will step up and be H/Palms new manufacturing partner for webOS devices. If my theory is right we will know in less than a couple of months.
Yeah me too!! I had the HP site autoreloading all day yesterday and most of the night but I still did not manage to get one :wacko:

Guest LilBambi

I think it's both of those reasons, and the economy too.Many folks couldn't get a very nice tablet like that at the prices of the iPad, etc., or even HP TouchPad's previous pricing.

With regards to my TouchPad order... I got an order confirmation e-mail last night, and I can now see the order status at the HP page!Getting closer! This thing may actually ship!Adam

securitybreach
With regards to my TouchPad order... I got an order confirmation e-mail last night, and I can now see the order status at the HP page!Getting closer! This thing may actually ship!Adam
Sweet :thumbsup:

securitybreach
One of my friends here in VA got one for his wife, and they just received it today! Arg!Adam
Well hopefully you will get yours soon. :w00t: I wish I had been able to buy one but oh well. There is always ebay. Of course the price will be double or close to it :' />

securitybreach

Speaking of, my cousin's boyfriend bought one of the 16gb tablets and he loves it. I have not seen him or the tablet yet but I did try to offer him $200 and he would not sell. This guy knows nothing about computers so explaining the downsides of the software and rooting would be a waste of his and my time.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LilBambi
I got an e-mail from HP. I am in the 6-8 week window. It will be a while before I see my touchpad.Adam
Woohoo!! At least you know. Better than not knowing. :teehee: :w00t: :thumbsup:

securitybreach

I still really want one if anyone runs across one or knows where to get one B) I already have an Android tablet but I bought mine last year and this one has better specs (well my processor is better but...). That and I paid $499 for mine. :thumbsup:

I think your best bet may be to go to the HP site and sign up to be notified if any will be available.Most of the info I saw on slickdeals indicated that many orders from other retailers were cancelled, unless you were one of the first few.Adam