My Adventures w/ Arch Linux (Feb 2011)

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, folks...The time has come. I've come to the conclusion that, as a Slacker, Arch Linux is probably much more closer to my philosophy on GNU/Linux than good ol' Debian is. For that reason, I've decided to install Arch Linux in my #2 (secondary OS) slot on my system. I may install Debian Squeeze on one of my experimental slots later on, though.So, that's it. I'm goin' in...Wish me luck! :)P.S. Installing w/ Xfce, of course. B)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• securitybreach

• ChipDoc

• ichase

Well, folks...The time has come. I've come to the conclusion that, as a Slacker, Arch Linux is probably much more closer to my philosophy on GNU/Linux than good ol' Debian is. For that reason, I've decided to install Arch Linux in my #2 (secondary OS) slot on my system. I may install Debian Squeeze on one of my experimental slots later on, though.So, that's it. I'm goin' in...Wish me luck! :)P.S. Installing w/ Xfce, of course. B)
Wishing you all the luck in the world Eric. If someone like me with VERY limited linux experience can install Arch with KDE someone like you could do this with your eyes closed. But becareful. You may just find yourself becoming more of an Archer then a Slacker. ;)All the best,Ian Edited by ichase

securitybreach
Wishing you all the luck in the world Eric. If someone like me with VERY limited linux experience can install Arch with KDE someone like you could do this with your eyes closed. But becareful. You may just find yourself becoming more of an Archer then a Slacker. ;)All the best,Ian
Actually Eric was running Arch before I had even heard of it. Eric and Steel are the ones who got me first interested in Archlinux. He will be fine since this is not his first "rodeo".

V.T. Eric Layton

Woo-Hoo! That took all of about 45 minutes. Arch is installed and its GRUB is controlling my MBR now. All's well. I have to get in there and fancy it up a bit now. ;)I know the trick to installing Arch, Ian. Shhhhh... don't tell anyone I told you, but...I copy the Arch Wiki installation guide into a text file a place it on my common partition on one of my secondary drives along with a text version of Josh's tutorial for installing Arch. Once I start the Arch install with /arch/setup, I then ALT + F2 to get another command line. I mount the common partition and "cat" the Arch Wiki guide here, so I can read it during the installation by just going back and forth between F1 and F2. I set Josh's tutorial up the same way on F3. On F4, I have an open command line for other utility needs during installation... fdisk parted, etc.Multi-user mode... GOOOOD! Try that in MS Windows. HA! B)

Woo-Hoo! That took all of about 45 minutes. Arch is installed and its GRUB is controlling my MBR now. All's well. I have to get in there and fancy it up a bit now. ;)I know the trick to installing Arch, Ian. Shhhhh... don't tell anyone I told you, but...I copy the Arch Wiki installation guide into a text file a place it on my common partition on one of my secondary drives along with a text version of Josh's tutorial for installing Arch. Once I start the Arch install with /arch/setup, I then ALT + F2 to get another command line. I mount the common partition and "cat" the Arch Wiki guide here, so I can read it during the installation by just going back and forth between F1 and F2. I set Josh's tutorial up the same way on F3. On F4, I have an open command line for other utility needs during installation... fdisk parted, etc.Multi-user mode... GOOOOD! Try that in MS Windows. HA! B)
NICE!!!!! I did things the old fashion way printed the Arch wiki along with Josh's tutorial and put them in my binder. I like your idea much more. Especially if you can cut and paste from the wiki. :thumbsup:Ian

Well, folks...So, that's it. I'm goin' in...Wish me luck! :)P.S. Installing w/ Xfce, of course. B)
Welcome to the hurd! I am a big fan of Debian, but I rarely use it anymore as Arch has everything I need.

V.T. Eric Layton

I guess I'm a Slacker-Archer now. ;)I'm installing Xfce as I type (I'm on the lappy). I have the Arch Wiki open here also. I'll have Arch rockin' along pretty soon. B)

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, I'm in Arch/Namaroka browser posting this right now.I have to refresh my memory on making PKGBUILDS in Arch because I need to grab DropBox from the AUR and install it. That's where I'm headed right now.I know I'll end up with some minor bugs (like no sound, currently), but most are easily fixed. It'll probably take me a couple more days to get Arch up-to-snuff as my secondary OS. No biggie. FUN, actually! :)

securitybreach
OK, I'm in Arch/Namaroka browser posting this right now.I have to refresh my memory on making PKGBUILDS in Arch because I need to grab DropBox from the AUR and install it. That's where I'm headed right now.I know I'll end up with some minor bugs (like no sound, currently), but most are easily fixed. It'll probably take me a couple more days to get Arch up-to-snuff as my secondary OS. No biggie. FUN, actually! :)
Use yaourt to fetch DropBox: http://archlinux.fr/yaourt-enThen as user:
yaourt -S dropbox

V.T. Eric Layton

I installed it with a PKGBUILD. It wasn't no biggie. It's pretty similar to SlackBuilds, actually. :)Had a minor audio issue, but resolved that easily (thanks to notes from a previous Arch install). Music playing now... The Corrs - Only When I Sleep. :)I have an annoying issue with Thunar displaying all the unmounted partitions on all my drives. That's a pain in the eye. I fixed that in Gnome once using a 10-ignore-disks rule in the /etc/hal directory, but I don't know how to do it with Thunar. I think I had this issue in Zenwalk with Thunar one time. I'll have to check my notes.

securitybreach

Well you still need yaourt to upgrade any PKGBUILDS from AUR. Yes you can manually install PKBUILDS but using makepkg and use pacman -U package.tar.gz to install them but they will never be updated unless you use yaourt. Pacman will only upgrade packages in the official repost but will not touch AUR packages.

V.T. Eric Layton

I've made a note of it. I'll set it up in the next day or so. Tired. Going to bed now. It was a constructive day. :)

securitybreach
I've made a note of it. I'll set it up in the next day or so. Tired. Going to bed now. It was a constructive day. :)
Ok, have a nice rest buddy :)BTW I like your new signature image!!! Although, should the Arch symbol not be the A in Arch instead A Arch? Just my opinion....NM, I see they do the same thing on the officical Arch logo

Now playing:
"Prelude to Madness" is an arrangement of Grieg's In the Hall of the Mountain King from the Peer Gynt suite. Oddly, Grieg is not credited for this song, but for the following title track - which ironically, is an original song. The intro of "Prelude to Madness" features keyboards and guitar playing "Mars, the Bringer of War" from Gustav Holst's suite, The Planets.-WikipediaI learn something new every day!

V.T. Eric Layton

Knocked out a few more items today...- installed some mouse cursors and themes (by copying .icons and .themes directories from Slack)- installed numerous audio and other apps- got gkrellm and lm_sensors working- installed not-so-openoffice :hysterical:- installed fortune, but need to get it to initiate at boot- T-bird up and running (with Slack .thunderbird profile)Making progress. :)

V.T. Eric Layton
I'm surprised you didn't install Libre-Office
Myeh... I'm not a real hardcore opensource kinda' guy. I don't care much that OpenOffice changed corporate owners. It's still a decent app. Once LibreOrifice works all the bugs out, I'm might try it. :w00t:======Anyway.... and UPDATE... UPDATE... UPDATE....I was setting up my printer with CUPS and decided to reboot. When Arch came back up, I didn't have any networking. WTF? :( I'm t-shooting now. Off I go...

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, well... I don't know what I tweaked or fidgeted with earlier this evening to cause my network to freak out, but I used this edit:

# vim /etc/rc.local

to add

dhcpcd -k eth0 dhcpcd -nd eth0
to force dhcp to get its ca-ca together on reboot.-----Now I need to figure out why "alsactl store" is not saving my alsa volume settings. Xfce4-mixer restarts after reboot with muted channels. :(*sigh* Well, troubleshooting these little bugs is half the fun, eh? *grumble-grumble* :w00t:

It actually IS half the fun. Maybe even more than half. When I first set this thing up at the end of September, I didn't realize it'd only be a month before I got it tweaked the way I wanted it. Now that it's done, I need to find my entertainment elsewhere.Fortunately a new friend and I have been keeping one another quite entertained for the past few weeks... :w00t: