He he anarchy rules !!!

abarbarian

cp -R B)
That did it. :hysterical:
[root@myhost ~]# cp -R /media/sdf1/TOONS/TrinityBlood /root[root@myhost ~]#

So now I have a folder called "Home" which has inside it "TrinityBlood" with all me files inside it. Many thanks.I do not undestand how me desktop is starting everything as root. Could it be because I inadvertantly installed Enlightenment as root ?Can you do installs as USER ?If so is it worth while uninstalling Enlightenment and re-installing as USER ?How do I get from "root@myhost" to "USER@myhost" in the command line.I'm using this guide which seems to be pretty new user friendly,http://www.linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php B)

V.T. Eric Layton

Installing as root doesn't require the app to be run as root. It just installs the app system-wide, so that all users can access it. For example, if you install joe-blow app as the user, only YOU can access and run joe-blow. However, if you install joe-blow as root, any user can access and run the app. :)About your desktop... no app does anything as root. YOU must be root to do something as root. Are you sure you're not logged in as root? What is the output of this command?

who

I like that site you posted the link to, by the way... Bookmarked. :hysterical:

Installing as root doesn't require the app to be run as root. It just installs the app system-wide, so that all users can access it. For example, if you install joe-blow app as the user, only YOU can access and run joe-blow. However, if you install joe-blow as root, any user can access and run the app. :)About your desktop... no app does anything as root. YOU must be root to do something as root. Are you sure you're not logged in as root? What is the output of this command?
who

I like that site you posted the link to, by the way... Bookmarked. B)

[root@myhost ~]# whoroot	 pts/0		2011-01-23 21:34 (:0.0)[root@myhost ~]#

I have to log in as root as Slim will not let me log in as USER. I can not change to USER as I can not find any info as to how to do this.Yeah I liked the clarity of the information on that site. :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I'm sure you've heard all the bad stuff about logging into your system as root, so I won't go there.When you were installing the system, was there a part where you created a user? If not, then you'll need to create one.

adduser

Follow the directions. :hysterical:

Well, I'm sure you've heard all the bad stuff about logging into your system as root, so I won't go there.
Yup I created a user and I have folders for him and all that and I did some stuff as a user.However.I have to log in as root as Slim will not let me log in as USER. I can not change to USER as I can not find any info as to how to do this.I have read loads of stuff on the web but can not find out how to do,How do I get from "root@myhost" to "USER@myhost" in the command line.It is a small gap in me basic knowledge. :hysterical:

How do I get from "root@myhost" to "USER@myhost" in the command line.
If you logout of root you should be greeted with a login screen/prompt where you can log in as user.It sounds pretty inconvenient to not be able to log in to your desktop as user.

Yup I created a user and I have folders for him and all that and I did some stuff as a user.However.I have to log in as root as Slim will not let me log in as USER. I can not change to USER as I can not find any info as to how to do this.I have read loads of stuff on the web but can not find out how to do,How do I get from "root@myhost" to "USER@myhost" in the command line.It is a small gap in me basic knowledge. :hysterical:
I don't use SLIM, but...From the ArchWiki for SLIM
AutologinTo make SLiM automatically login as a specified user (without having to type a password) the following lines in /etc/slim.conf should be changed.# default_user simoneUncomment this line, and change "simone" to the user to be logged into automatically.# auto_login noUncomment this line and change the 'no' to 'yes'. This enables the auto login feature.
The page is here, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLiM

I don't use SLIM, but...From the ArchWiki for SLIMThe page is here, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLiM
Thanks. I have read all the E17 wiki stuff sevearal times in an attempt to resolve me problem.Auto=login is not really what I am after as it offers no security. I may try it though to see if E will log me in as User and then work backwards to see if I can spot what is happening. -_-Well I tried the auto login instruction but Slim still will not log me in as USER. :hysterical: Edited by abarbarian

I think I have found the root of my problem but not the solution.I ran

[root@myhost ~]# nano /var/log/slim.log

And in the 8405 ines of the log I found

/usr/bin/xauth:  file /home/bloodaxe/.Xauthority does not exist/bin/bash: /home/bloodaxe/.xinitrc: No such file or directoryslim: waiting for X server to shut downX: ../../../include/privates.h:122: dixGetPri$/usr/bin/xauth:  file /var/run/slim.auth does not existslim: waiting for X server to begin accepting connectionsX.Org X Server 1.9.2Release Date: 2010-10-30X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-ARCH x86_64Current Operating System: Linux myhost 2.6.36-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 8 14:15:27$Kernel command line: root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/b86ba870-ad49-4ed1-b0cd-ade6fdcf1771 roBuild Date: 01 November 2010  10:29:19PMCurrent version of pixman: 0.20.2		Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org		to make sure that you have the latest version.Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,		(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,		(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Jan 23 22:16:20 2011(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"(EE) NOUVEAU(0): Error creating GPU channel: -19(EE) NOUVEAU(0): Error initialising acceleration.  Falling back to NoAccelresize called 1920 1200./usr/bin/xauth:  file /root/.Xauthority does not existESTART: 0.00001 [0.00001] - beginESTART: 0.00015 [0.00014] - signals doneESTART: 0.00021 [0.00007] - determine prefixDYNAMIC DETERMINED PREFIX: /usrESTART: 0.00064 [0.00043] - prefix doneESTART: 0.00075 [0.00011] - eina init

This is the root of the problem I think,/usr/bin/xauth: file /home/bloodaxe/.Xauthority does not exist/bin/bash: /home/bloodaxe/.xinitrc: No such file or directoryslim: waiting for X server to shut downX: ../../../include/privates.h:122: dixGetPri$/usr/bin/xauth: file /var/run/slim.auth does not existAnyone got any pointers ? :hysterical: amenditman - did you get the pm I sent about TB ?

V.T. Eric Layton

If you want to kill graphic login, just change edit your /etc/inittab to use run level 3 as the default. Also, if you want to get to a command line prompt once you're already running X, just CTRL+ALT-->BACKSPACE.

securitybreach
If you want to kill graphic login, just change edit your /etc/inittab to use run level 3 as the default. Also, if you want to get to a command line prompt once you're already running X, just CTRL+ALT-->BACKSPACE.
Or you can just stop Slim by doing
/etc/rc.d/slim stop

Also, why do you need a graphical login manager when you can just put in the username and password, then type startx? Instead of jumping through hoops just to login, it is much easier to use the default way of logging in.

V.T. Eric Layton
Also, why do you need a graphical login manager when you can just put in the username and password, then type startx? Instead of jumping through hoops just to login, it is much easier to use the default way of logging in.
Hear! Hear! Spoken like a true Slacker... er, Archer, I mean. :)

securitybreach
Hear! Hear! Spoken like a true Slacker... er, Archer, I mean. :)
Right B) Simplistic is usually the best method of all since there is no need to over complicate things. When I say simplistic, I do not necessarily mean easy. The Arch wiki best explains it:
Arch Linux defines simplicity as without unnecessary additions, modifications, or complications, and provides a lightweight UNIX-like base structure that allows an individual user to shape the system according to their own needs. In short: an elegant, minimalist approach.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way

Right B) Simplistic is usually the best method of all since there is no need to over complicate things. When I say simplistic, I do not necessarily mean easy. The Arch wiki best explains it:
Arch Linux defines simplicity as without unnecessary additions, modifications, or complications, and provides a lightweight UNIX-like base structure that allows an individual user to shape the system according to their own needs. In short: an elegant, minimalist approach.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way

Elegant shmelegant phoowee I like to look at a pretty picture when me pc's waking up. Also you guys "why do you need a graphical login manager when you can just put in the username and password, then type startx? Instead of jumping through hoops just to login, it is much easier to use the default way of logging in."You may want to look at your statment again.On my pc typing my user name and then typing the password is only two steps. Wheras your way I have to type in an extra "startx" which makes it three steps. That is just a step too far for me.Mind you you may have your pc's set up with some convojiggliated arcane command line wizardry that allows you to do three steps in two. :)

Well your purist approach just don't work with E17. Not on my pc anyway.I uninstalled "e-svn" and "e-modules-extra-svn" and "slim" with "pacman -Rns -------" Rebooted and installed the two E17 packages and I can not log in as USER. If I try I get sent to a black page with three windows with a command line prompt in each one. If I type "exit" at the cl in each window it disappeares and eventualy I am left with a black screen. No combination of Ctrl+Alt+anything or Ctrl+ anything or Alt+anything does anything, (thats a lot of anythings ain't it) so I have to force a shutdown with the power switch. Looks to me like E17 has more bugs in it than an ants nest or I am missing something. Can not see what and I have fine toothcombed the wikis and the net to no avail. :wacko:

securitybreach

Well I just installed E17 and it started fine with the regular user. So it has to be a configuration issue. You could try deleting the Enlightenment files since the problem is with the normal user and not root:

rm -rf  ~/.e/

Make sure you do that as user and not as root. Once you start E17 again, the configuration files will be recreated. Even after you uninstall E17, the configuration files do not get deleted. Did you use an old /home partition? The reason I am asking is because the problem may be left over hidden files from another installation. That would cause login problems.

securitybreach

Also,

As e17 is still alpha software you are encouraged to keep packages of the previous version on your computer, allowing you to downgrade if needed.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/E17#Wh...to_Entrance_.3FSo E17 has not even reached beta yet.
E17 has not yet been released, and is not considered to be in a finished state. This means that although large parts of E17 are working, and currently stable, there is more work to be done. The development process used for E17, and most other open source projects that have yet to be released, means that there is no point in time where a stable, fully working, version can be delivered.
http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/FAQBut that still does not explain why you cannot login as regular user. Like I said, it works fine here so it has to be a configuration issue.

Well I just installed E17 and it started fine with the regular user. So it has to be a configuration issue. You could try deleting the Enlightenment files since the problem is with the normal user and not root:
rm -rf  ~/.e/

Make sure you do that as user and not as root. Once you start E17 again, the configuration files will be recreated. Even after you uninstall E17, the configuration files do not get deleted. Did you use an old /home partition? The reason I am asking is because the problem may be left over hidden files from another installation. That would cause login problems.

Brand new diskI switched of and logged in as USER and tried your tip.Then tried to startx------failedI switched of and logged in as USER and tried just "enlightenment" message came up "Enlightenment cannot initialize its X connection. Have you set your DISPLAY variable." --------failI switched of and logged in as root ------------- hurray ! Big deal.In my USER folder there is no ".e" anything and I have show hidden stuff. There is a folder called ".cache" inside a folder called "efreet". I deleted the efreet folder shutdown and started agian and the folder had respawned.You will find some up to date info on E17 here, second link is very interesting.http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=42331 :wacko:

securitybreach

Ok something is definetly wrong with your Enlightement installation. Your directory should look like this:

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 09:59 PM ╚═══ ~-> ls .e/e/applications  config   fonts  images		 locale   themesbackgrounds   fileman  icons  input_methods  modules

That is why you cannot log into Enlightenment as a regular user. This is confusing the heck out of me, I will find an answer for you.

securitybreach

Even the wiki says:

TroubleshootingIf you find some unexpected behavior, there are a few things you can do:try to see if the same behavior exists with the default themebackup ~/.e and remove it (e.g. mv ~/.e ~/.e.back).If you are sure you found a bug please report it directly upstream.

securitybreach
I switched of and logged in as USER and tried just "enlightenment" message came up "Enlightenment cannot initialize its X connection. Have you set your DISPLAY variable." --------fail
Try typing in
exec enlightenment_start

to manually start it. Also, that line should be in your ~/.xinitrc file. Check your root's .xinitrc and compare it to your user's ~/.xinitrc:Log in as root and:

# cat ~/.xinitrc

Same as for the regular user:

cat ~/.xinitrc

Look at the two files and see what is different.Another way is to login as root and:

diff /root/.xinitrc /home/username/.xinitrc

Note: change username to your username

Many thanks for your time.Since I reinstalled I have lost xterm from the menu. It came back after a reboot. An now it has just gone again. I have also got a cocked up smplayer so can not play me vids.That was the last straw. I have a dead car that will cost £1,000 to fix and needed cheering up. Bye by E 17.Hello Flubox, IceWM or Openbox with I think Rox.I'll give that,

exec enlightenment_start

a try as a farewell effort.At least me problem galvanised you into trying E out. I recon it certainly has loads of potential but is a bit too buggy for a freshman like me to deal with. I'll keep an eye on its progress.I'll also give your other tips a go tommorow. :wacko:

Well I did

Another way is to login as root and:CODEdiff /root/.xinitrc /home/username/.xinitrc/
an there were no" /home/username/.xinitrc/" so I made one rebooted and wahayyyyyyy I have log in as USER and an E17 desktop.But no icons for programs and no xterm. :wacko: Still it is progress B) Might just keep with it for a while. :lol:

securitybreach

Kewl, I thought you listed your ~/.xinitrc but that may have been the root one you posted. Either way, at least there is some progress.

Ta fer the help again I don't want to be a help vampire an I realise that I have probably jumped in at the deep end with Arch and E17 but thats how barbarians are. :) I also realise that I have some very big gaps in me knowledge concerning basic GNU/Linux operation but hey if you don't jump in you'll never learn. :thumbsup: I'm of to resurect the dead car which is not costing as much as feared so that has cheered me up a tiny tad, still spensive but at least it will live again.I'm going to stick with E as I have done so much reading about it and can not face reading up on yet another set of programs. :rolleyes: Funny I now have now features in USER E than I had in ROOT E but I have lost some also. Thie is turning iut to be some rollercoaster of a ride. I must say that E is fast and I really like some of the modules and gadgets. Will I stay the course only time will tell. :lol: One last basic Q.I start the pc and I get a command prompt from there I can go ROOT or USER. IF I go root how do I become USER without rebooting?ie. [root@myhost ~] via the command line to [uSER@myhost]is that possible ?I know that to go from [uSER@myhost] you just use the "su" then password but can you go the other way? B)

Ta fer the help again I don't want to be a help vampire an I realise that I have probably jumped in at the deep end with Arch and E17 but thats how barbarians are. :)
It's how we all start out on our exciting adventures, pretty soon you will be 'the' expert on E17 and we'll all be asking you for help. Best way to learn is to jump in both feet into the deep end.
I also realise that I have some very big gaps in me knowledge concerning basic GNU/Linux operation but hey if you don't jump in you'll never learn. :thumbsup:
Following this thread, I'd say your gaps are narrowing quickly. You're in the thick of it.
I'm of to resurect the dead car which is not costing as much as feared so that has cheered me up a tiny tad, still spensive but at least it will live again.
Great news, but pretty soon we won't need those old things. We'll just have our entire lives online from our virtual reality chairs.
I'm going to stick with E as I have done so much reading about it and can not face reading up on yet another set of programs. :rolleyes:
Wow, that's a relief. I was hoping to explore E sometime and really appreciate help from someone who has been thru the learning curve.
Will I stay the course only time will tell. :lol:
Ladies and gentlemen, here we have a true GNU/Linux fanatic, addicted to distro hopping and all.
One last basic Q.I start the pc and I get a command prompt from there I can go ROOT or USER. IF I go root how do I become USER without rebooting?ie. [root@myhost ~] via the command line to [uSER@myhost]is that possible ?I know that to go from [uSER@myhost] you just use the "su" then password but can you go the other way? B)
You can 'su' from any user to any other user, including 'root', as long as you know the user password. You can also type 'exit' at the command line and you will be logged out, you can then log in as another user without rebooting the computer.Fun Edited by amenditman

You can 'su' from any user to any other user, including 'root', as long as you know the user password. You can also type 'exit' at the command line and you will be logged out, you can then log in as another user without rebooting the computer.
So this is wrong
[root@myhost ~]# su[root@myhost ~]#

An this is right and I end up in USER root folder ------ or is it USER superroot folder ? I would just like to point out that I was not asked for a password and kicked straight to USER.

[root@myhost ~]# su USER[USER@myhost root]$

I ask because if I do below I end up in my USER /home folder --- Yes

[USER@myhost root]$ cd homebash: cd: home: Permission denied[USER@myhost root]$ cd /home/USER[USER@myhost ~]$

So because I am in USER's /home folder I can not transfer TB as I need root permisions, so I "exit" and them able to do so------Yes

[USER@myhost ~]$ cp -R /root/TrinityBlood /home/USERcp: cannot stat `/root/TrinityBlood': Permission denied[USER@myhost ~]$ exitexit[root@myhost ~]# cp -R /root/TrinityBlood /home/USER[root@myhost ~]#

Wow, that's a relief. I was hoping to explore E sometime and really appreciate help from someone who has been thru the learning curve.
You will need to spend at least 10 years in a Buddhist mountain retreat before you can attempt to gain knowledge of enlightenment :hysterical: I spent time here to gain my enlightenment, shhhhh do not tell the other barbarians or I'll get laughed out of town. :hysterical: http://www.conisheadpriory.org/conishead-priory-historyhttp://nkt-kmc-manjushri.org/uk-buddhist-templedid you you get my pm about TB ? :hysterical:

You will need to spend at least 10 years in a Buddhist mountain retreat before you can attempt to gain knowledge of enlightenment :hysterical: I spent time here to gain my enlightenment, shhhhh do not tell the other barbarians or I'll get laughed out of town. :hysterical: did you you get my pm about TB ? :hysterical:
Does time spent meditating waiting for Windows to reboot after every system change count towards the ten years?If so, I have reached enlightenment several times over.We don't have a lot of contact with the other barbarians, your secret's safe with us.Yes I did get the PM. I really don't do a lot of videos, unless they are about tech.My previous comment,
For something called "Trinity Blood" I'd come fix your Arch install for you.
was completely for comic releif.