Ubuntu - Where are Firefox and TBird Icons Stored?

BillD

Can anyone tell me where the standard icons for Firefox and TBird are stored in Ubuntu? I have spent an hour looking thru /usr/share/icons, etc., etc., and I cannot find them. Also, is there any way to find where an icon is other than doing a "locate xyz icon" and then hunting thru the tens of places that are indicated in the terminal?Thank you,Bill

Edited by BillD

securitybreach

Check:/usr/share/app-install/icons/usr/share/icons/gnome/24x24/apps/usr/share/pixmaps/usr/share/applicationsIt is more than likely in the second and fourth location.

The first location is the only one I see them in, and they are too large . . . probably could scale them in Gimp, but that seems extreme!Bill
On my system (slackware) there are some smaller sized icons in:/usr/lib/thunderbird/chrome/icons/default//usr/lib/firefox/chrome/icons/default/ Edited by alphaomega

Unfortunately /usr/lib has no FF or TB in it.This whole stupid thing comes from the fact that in Mint 10, Clem for some reason changed the icons and I was trying to set up a computer for a Windows user that would use the standard icons.Bill

Unfortunately /usr/lib has no FF or TB in it.This whole stupid thing comes from the fact that in Mint 10, Clem for some reason changed the icons and I was trying to set up a computer for a Windows user that would use the standard icons.Bill
You could always get a copy from someone or a google search...but of course then you would need to know where to put them so that Clem uses them.

how i find icons:
[TForsman@localhost ~]$ locate thunderbird.png/usr/share/pixmaps/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/nimbus/32x32/apps/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/nimbus/24x24/apps/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/nimbus/96x96/apps/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/nimbus/48x48/apps/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/nimbus/16x16/apps/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/bamboo-zen/32x32/apps/mozilla-thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/bamboo-zen/32x32/apps/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/bamboo-zen/scalable/apps/mozilla-thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/bamboo-zen/scalable/apps/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/bamboo-zen/24x24/apps/mozilla-thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/bamboo-zen/24x24/apps/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/bamboo-zen/22x22/apps/mozilla-thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/bamboo-zen/22x22/apps/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/bamboo-zen/16x16/apps/mozilla-thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/bamboo-zen/16x16/apps/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/Faenza/apps/32/mozilla-thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/Faenza/apps/32/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/Faenza/apps/16/mozilla-thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/Faenza/apps/16/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/Faenza/apps/24/mozilla-thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/Faenza/apps/24/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/Faenza/apps/22/mozilla-thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/Faenza/apps/22/thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/Faenza/apps/48/mozilla-thunderbird.png/usr/share/icons/Faenza/apps/48/thunderbird.png[TForsman@localhost ~]$

Alas, firefox.png in pixmaps is not the regular icon; it has an odd looking arrow off of it: like a shortcut deal, and also it is way too large; it is not the standard one.I appreciate the suggestion by tforsman to use the "locate thunderbird.png" since it probably is a .png file, but that still leaves gobs of folders to look thru, which I had done earlier without finding the right one :thumbsup: Guess it was back in Kde3.x that one could right click the little icon under properties and it took you right to the folder where that icon came from.Thanks people,Bill

Edited by BillD

This is Mint 10 that I was trying to return to the normal icons for Firefox and Thunderbird, and a Google search found a site that has them. Didn't even think of that, I was so busy looking for the "originals" in Ubuntu! Still seems like there ought to be a better way than going thru all the folders to find the "right" one in Ubuntu.Thanks,Bill

This is Mint 10 that I was trying to return to the normal icons for Firefox and Thunderbird, and a Google search found a site that has them. Didn't even think of that, I was so busy looking for the "originals" in Ubuntu! Still seems like there ought to be a better way than going thru all the folders to find the "right" one in Ubuntu.Thanks,Bill
I have collected a large number of icons (both .ico's and .png's) over the last few years.I keep them in a folder in /home/frank so that I can customize my Desktop, menu icons etc.Desktop icons in gnome can be resized by right clicking and choosing resize.To change the icon of a desktop launcher right click the launcher and select properties.Click the icon in the property dialog and navigate to the icon you want.Often with me that directory is the one I created in my /home/frank directory.

The first location is the only one I see them in, and they are too large . . . probably could scale them in Gimp, but that seems extreme!Bill
Right click on the current FF icon and then click /Properties. Then click on the icon in the resulting dialog box and it will point to where the current one is. You can then browse to where the icon of your choice exist and choose it. If you can't find the right one in Mint, just google "firefox.png" and download one. Edited by lewmur

Right click on the current FF icon and then click /Properties. Then click on the icon in the resulting dialog box and it will point to where the current one is.
But the problem is, it doesn't point to where the icon came from (its source); it just points to the desktop . . . :hysterical: As I said, somewhere in the past (Kde3.5?) as I recall one could right click on the icon in the resulting dialog box under properties, and it would indeed point to where it was, but that surely does not work in Gnome! Nothing happens when I right click it, and left clicking just points to my desktop as stated above.
To change the icon of a desktop launcher right click the launcher and select properties.Click the icon in the property dialog and navigate to the icon you want.
Yes, I know; but the problem is that I could not find the "right" icon to navigate to! Always before I could find a suitable substitute, but in this case, I really wanted the "official" Mozilla ones, but a Google search turned them up, so all is well.However, I had forgotten about getting another Gnome desktop theme as per Urmas, and that should work fine also.Thank you,Bill Edited by BillD