Show Us Your Real Desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

securitybreach

I thought I would post a pic of my main machine on my new desk. I also have 4 other desks in my room with 7 computers in total--3 laptops, 2 desktops, N810, and a netbook. My N10 is also on the desk to the left of the monitors. I also have 4 more security monitors besides the one in the pic but the others ones are color. There is not any crime here but it is nice to be big brother sometimes :thumbsup: dsci0005j.th.jpg

1001340.th.jpg 1001341k.th.jpg I'll bite, no pun intended. My desktop showing Frank's desktop, complete with Chelsea my dog. On the right is the Dell dual core running Gentoo Linux with a backup boot of Ubuntu 10.4 LTS (which never sees the light of day). The black one on the left is "ibm_left" which is an IBM powerpc64. It's a slow machine which is running Gentoo Linux, of course. It actually runs better with no video card, but I have it hooked up to one anyways. The monitor switches between them, but I rarely switch over to the IBM. Typically, I just ssh to it. I have both of them running boinc.

• 2 months later...
securitybreach

Updated shot: I just got my new camera and got a third monitor a while back so I thought I would post another pic. Hopefully it may generate some more "real" desk shots. This is my main computer desk (I have 3 desks full of machines):20968c97694556.jpg 80a32597694707.jpg

securitybreach
Hey nice Desktop :thumbsup:What'cha reading on the Nook?
I am currently reading:The Shadow Factory by James Bamford http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Factory-Ultra...a/dp/0385521324 and For the Win by Cory Doctorow http://www.amazon.com/Win-Cory-Doctorow/dp...4140&sr=1-1Yes, I multitask with Books as well. :thumbup:
With all that hardware, it's still the cleanest desk I've ever seen!LOL
Thanks!! Although, I did straighten it up a tad before taking a picture.

With all that hardware, it's still the cleanest desk I've ever seen!LOL
How's your desk looking Sue?@Josh: What's the power consumption of all this gear? :thumbup: Now serious... It sure looks very good. Now I wonder, I see a mouse and a trackball. What are you using the most Josh, any preference and why? I'm thinking about changing from mice to trackballs because all three of those creeping peeping fellas over at my desk are starting to wear out and need to be replaced soon.

securitybreach
@Josh: What's the power consumption of all this gear? :D Now serious... It sure looks very good. Now I wonder, I see a mouse and a trackball. What are you using the most Josh, any preference and why? I'm thinking about changing from mice to trackballs because all three of those creeping peeping fellas over at my desk are starting to wear out and need to be replaced soon.
I have no ideal how much power is being used. It is probably a lot considering I have 7 computers/laptops/mobile devices running at all times. As far as the trackball, I got one a few months ago and I am pretty happy with it. I find it is a lot easier to move across multiple monitors with a trackball instead of a mouse. A simple flip of my thumb and the cursor flies across the screens. So for me it seems to be a lot faster and efficient. The only gripe I have is that takes some getting used to using the trackball to select text. I originally got the ideal of using a trackball from Eric. He has been using one for years and said he found it easier to use. So I bought one.

http://imgur.com/BoTj8.jpgHere is mine. What can I say it is summer after all. An yep I should have taken a pic with a penguin on screen, but my defence is , I was in a rush and it is a dual boot machine. :P Now autumn is here I may be able to get round to that Arch install :rolleyes:
Obviously you misunderstood when somebody told you to put in a window. :rolleyes:Side note: My boss had a P4 3.0GHz he was throwing away. It used to be one of our work computers, but the company was upgrading. Anyways, he decided to get a laptop for home and decided it was time to clean out the garage. Fast forward to about two weeks ago. My wife and I were browsing around Goodwill when I noticed A) a bowling ball that fit me perfectly for $6 and ;) a nice computer desk for $16.Long story short:My wife now has her own computer and desk on the other side of the home office. I may try to piece together a panoramic later. Edited by trigggl

securitybreach
http://imgur.com/BoTj8.jpgHere is mine. What can I say it is summer after all. An yep I should have taken a pic with a penguin on screen, but my defence is , I was in a rush and it is a dual boot machine. :P Now autumn is here I may be able to get round to that Arch install :rolleyes:
Thats pretty cool you have a lamp hanging upside down :thumbsup:Looks nice. BTW, what is that white "box" with the blue on the front under your clothes and next to your powerstrip?

hi folks...just thought i'd drop in and say howdy do. howdy do! for the past few weeks i've been pressing my nose to the grindstone trying to clean up and organize my computer. it's really an unorganized, messy, eight year collection of files and quite a daunting task going through thousands upon thousands of files and hundreds of cd/dvd's but i'm making good progress. i've had to actually pull the plug on the internet so i could stay focused. i'm doing so well that i thought i'd come up for air and post something. here's an oldie i found.let me explain what's going on in the pic. this is my dual monitor setup in the corner of the basement. i've since replaced one of the screens with a wide screen. the time is 2:00, most likely AM. i sit here sideways with my feet propped up and my right arm on the desk. the mouse is elevated to reduce wrist strain. this works so well that i can sit for hours without moving. sometimes i just doze off for a half hour or so. i've had to learn to keep my hand off the mouse if i do fall asleep lest i click something i don't want to. the keyboard is in an awkward place but i couldn't type anyway so i got by with one finger hunt and peck. i've since found a stand for the mouse so i could move the keyboard directly underneath. my typing has improved somewhat. i use two fingers now. notice the be-boppa-rebop rhubarb pie.9fa0a186957059.jpg
I like the Windows 98 SE book. Looks like you are up to date. :rolleyes:

i see ye be flying the jolly roger. i have a huge folder full of jolly images. ;) nice setup.
I haven't read to the end of this 3 page thread yet, but just a jolly roger comment- International Talk Like a Pirate Day falls on Sunday this year, always on Sep 19th. Arrrrr! Aye, me hearties. Shiver me timbers, etc. :P :rolleyes: Edited by Cluttermagnet

Greg, it sounds like you came across some good deals!! Also, thats pretty cool you got a p4 3.0ghz for free :rolleyes:
The promised pic. The LG shine doesn't like low light I guess.091810091200.th.jpgThe monitor was also free. You gotta love that. :P Edited by trigggl

I don't understand how you guys stand having the monitor off to one side; I want the monitor right in front of the keyboard so I can see it comfortably as I type without having to twist my neck . . . Bill

securitybreach
I don't understand how you guys stand having the monitor off to one side; I want the monitor right in front of the keyboard so I can see it comfortably as I type without having to twist my neck . . . Bill
I feel the same way. :thumbsup:

I don't understand how you guys stand having the monitor off to one side; I want the monitor right in front of the keyboard so I can see it comfortably as I type without having to twist my neck . . .
You'll have to ask my wife that question. I like mine front and center and at eye level.

• 2 weeks later...