Why do I have to wait for a device to appear

SueD

Waiting for device sda1 to appear (timeout 1 minute)
I also get the message for sda5. And yes, it takes a full minute before continuing.sda1 is / and sda5 is /swap. Can we turn this off? And yes, this is on the old, crappy computer...y'know, the one that's always given me all kinds of trouble.LOL

V.T. Eric Layton

What's your menu.lst listing look like for Mandriva? Please post it. This sounds like a distro that wants UUID, but is booting with normal disk nomenclature. Hence, the delay while searching for /dev/xxx.

I haven't done anything to grub except remove the whatever I needed to remove the boot splash screen and add Slack.

[sue@localhost ~]$ cat /boot/grub/menu.lsttimeout 10color black/cyan yellow/cyangfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/gfxmenudefault 0title linuxkernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=UUID=5706b2fb-061a-4bda-9bbd-6c2776637f5e resume=UUID=ff5ceae7-aacb-4e71-a77b-1c28a61ac883 vga=788initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.imgtitle linux-nonfbkernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=UUID=5706b2fb-061a-4bda-9bbd-6c2776637f5e resume=UUID=ff5ceae7-aacb-4e71-a77b-1c28a61ac883initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.imgtitle failsafekernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=UUID=5706b2fb-061a-4bda-9bbd-6c2776637f5e failsafeinitrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.imgtitle Slackwareroot (hd0,6)kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 ro vga=791

V.T. Eric Layton

Is this a new Mandriva installation?Anyway, first thing I'd try is remove the UUID feces from menu.lst and use your normal partition IDs... sda1 (/-root) and see what happens.

Is this a new Mandriva installation?Anyway, first thing I'd try is remove the UUID feces from menu.lst and use your normal partition IDs... sda1 (/-root) and see what happens.
Before I do that, I need to understand 2 things...1) How will that solve anything? At boot, it's waiting for 2 partitions...sda1 (/) and sda5 (/swap). I don't see swap mentioned in grub at all, unless I'm missing something.2) Ok, there really isn't a #2 but I'm not sure what it is I'm supposed to remove.

V.T. Eric Layton

UUID is a pain in the a**. It's not a very human-friendly way of doing things. If your fstab is using UUID, this could also cause this. Again, is this a new installation? If not, did it work before? If so, what changes did you make just before it started acting up?

Yup, it's there...

[sue@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/fstab# Entry for /dev/sda1 :UUID=5706b2fb-061a-4bda-9bbd-6c2776637f5e / ext3 defaults 1 1# Entry for /dev/sda6 :UUID=0ce1c6d0-fda4-4c0f-81b3-65dd0d9016f4 /home ext3 defaults 1 2none /proc proc defaults 0 0# Entry for /dev/sda5 :UUID=ff5ceae7-aacb-4e71-a77b-1c28a61ac883 swap swap defaults 0 0/dev/sdb5 /home/sue/Images vfat defaults,umask=000 0 0/dev/sdb1 /home/sue/Music vfat defaults,umask=000 0 0/dev/sdb6 /home/sue/Other vfat defaults,umask=000 0 0

Ok, here's what I gathered:/dev/sda1 is //dev/sda5 is swap/dev/sda6 is /home/dev/sdb5 /home/sue/Images vfat defaults,umask=000 0 0/dev/sdb1 /home/sue/Music vfat defaults,umask=000 0 0/dev/sdb6 /home/sue/Other vfat defaults,umask=000 0 0Is that correct Sue?If so, what we need to adapt menu.lst are the first three items above (the sda ones).(We leave the sdb ones alone)Backup the old menu.lst and when done edit the menu.lst as below

timeout 10color black/cyan yellow/cyangfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/gfxmenudefault 0title linuxkernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/sda1 resume=/dev/sda5 vga=788initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.imgtitle linux-nonfbkernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/sda1 resume=/dev/sda5initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.imgtitle failsafekernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/sda1 failsafeinitrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.imgtitle Slackwareroot (hd0,6)kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 ro vga=791
The only ones I changed are the entries for linux, linux-nonfb and failsafe by replacing the UUID info with the more common sense making, corresponding /dev/sdax entries.(in red)After the edit save menu.lst and reboot. It should at least boot but I hope it boots without delays now. If it fails to boot at all, you should restore the backed up menu.lst in runlevel 3. (in CLI that is...)Are you able to do that when it fails?

Ok, here's what I gathered:/dev/sda1 is //dev/sda5 is swap/dev/sda6 is /home/dev/sdb5 /home/sue/Images vfat defaults,umask=000 0 0/dev/sdb1 /home/sue/Music vfat defaults,umask=000 0 0/dev/sdb6 /home/sue/Other vfat defaults,umask=000 0 0Is that correct Sue?If so, what we need to adapt menu.lst are the first three items above (the sda ones).(We leave the sdb ones alone)Backup the old menu.lst and when done edit the menu.lst as belowThe only ones I changed are the entries for linux, linux-nonfb and failsafe by replacing the UUID info with the more common sense making, corresponding /dev/sdax entries.(in red)After the edit save menu.lst and reboot. It should at least boot but I hope it boots without delays now. If it fails to boot at all, you should restore the backed up menu.lst in runlevel 3. (in CLI that is...)Are you able to do that when it fails?
Yup, that's all correct Striker.I edited the menu.lst as you suggested. Boot up was no problem but I'm still getting the message for both partitions.
Good find Urmas!Sue, better read that one thoroughly before trying the edit of menu.lst mentioned above.
Well I guess I should read the full thread before I start doing and answering, eh?LOLThanks Urmas, off to look at that now. :hmm:

V.T. Eric Layton

I'd stay away from ext4. Ext3 is a tried and true fs. It will be fine. You say you "upgraded". How? Did it work before upgrading? I'd wait for Bruno on this one. He's the Mandriva guru. :hmm:

ext3Don't always just use the default settings and just click yes blindly...get to the bottom of every screen and every option and see what they offer.Next, when reinstalling, install a minimum of packages. What I mean is there's no need to install gigs of additional packages only to discover after the first reboot the problem is back again, in which case you might just have discovered a bug. (and subsequently lost much time installing all those packages) What I'm trying is helping to bypass frustrations.

ext3Don't always just use the default settings and just click yes blindly...get to the bottom of every screen and every option and see what they offer.Next, when reinstalling, install a minimum of packages. What I mean is there's no need to install gigs of additional packages only to discover after the first reboot the problem is back again, in which case you might just have discovered a bug. (and subsequently lost much time installing all those packages) What I'm trying is helping to bypass frustrations.
Ok, I did use ext3, I don't always use the default setting and never just click yes blindly. I learned that a long time ago.LOLI'm going to try a reinstall later when I'm a little more awake and see if that doesn't help. And Eric, I use the One CD to upgrade. I did it once via the blue icon...that didn't work too well. But I had to try.LOL

??Nope Sue, do a clean install, no upgrade. If necessary make backups of files you'll need later. (but you knew that already)
Maybe I'm still confusing the terminology...I used a new 2010 One CD and installed it over my old 2009.1. That's not right?

V.T. Eric Layton

The ONLY time I will upgrade a distro is if it's a "rolling-release" type of distro like Arch or Sidux, where there is a built-in package management tool (Arch --> #pacman -Syu or Sidux --> #apt-get dist-upgrade); otherwise, I ALWAYS upgrade via clean install. I tried a few upgrades-in-place before. There were always buggy results for me. Learned that lesson early on in my GNU/Linux adventures. It's kinda' like the mess I used to always get into when installing those big service packs (1 and 2) from Microsoft. :hysterical:

The ONLY time I will upgrade a distro is if it's a "rolling-release" type of distro like Arch or Sidux, where there is a built-in package management tool (Arch --> #pacman -Syu or Sidux --> #apt-get dist-upgrade); otherwise, I ALWAYS upgrade via clean install. I tried a few upgrades-in-place before. There were always buggy results for me. Learned that lesson early on in my GNU/Linux adventures. It's kinda' like the mess I used to always get into when installing those big service packs (1 and 2) from Microsoft. :hysterical:
If I'm understanding things right, I don't actually 'upgrade' but rather, do a clean install. My boo-boo.

V.T. Eric Layton

Ah... OK. Well, then... So you reformatted and installed a newer version of Mandriva on this system that ran the older version of Mandriva just fine. Right, so far? How old was that older version of Mandriva? Do you remember?Let's focus on getting Mandriva to run for you on this system. After that, we'll work on Slackware. One problem-child at a time. :hysterical:

Ah... OK. Well, then... So you reformatted and installed a newer version of Mandriva on this system that ran the older version of Mandriva just fine. Right, so far? How old was that older version of Mandriva? Do you remember?Let's focus on getting Mandriva to run for you on this system. After that, we'll work on Slackware. One problem-child at a time. :yes:
Yuppers. Moved up from 2009.1 to 2010. I'm just going off now to reinstall. Wish me luck. :)

Tada! Reinstalling seemed to do the trick. The messages are still there but rather than hanging for a full minute, the text just kept on rolling. So it's fixed, kind of, right?Thanks Eric and Striker. :yes:

securitybreach
The ONLY time I will upgrade a distro is if it's a "rolling-release" type of distro like Arch or Sidux, where there is a built-in package management tool (Arch --> #pacman -Syu or Sidux --> #apt-get dist-upgrade); otherwise, I ALWAYS upgrade via clean install. I tried a few upgrades-in-place before. There were always buggy results for me. Learned that lesson early on in my GNU/Linux adventures. It's kinda' like the mess I used to always get into when installing those big service packs (1 and 2) from Microsoft. :yes:
I agree. I have had some horror stories over the years with upgrading distros (before Arch) and would always recommend a fresh install. As long as you have seperate partitions for / and /home, doing a clean install is usually painless. Thanks

securitybreach
Tada! Reinstalling seemed to do the trick. The messages are still there but rather than hanging for a full minute, the text just kept on rolling. So it's fixed, kind of, right? Thanks Eric and Striker. :yes:
If it does not hang and does not give you an error, then yes it is probably fixed. I would check dmesg just to make sure.
 dmesg | grep sd

Thanks